who enjoys the outdoors and cycling in victoria

Jennet

I just think cycling on Oz roads is too dangerous having known several people who have been killed or severely injured by cars and only last month my son-in-law was lucky to escape with just a broken collar bone. I would stick to designated cycle paths or mountain bike trails of which there are plenty around.

I just think cycling on Oz roads is too dangerous having known several people who have been killed or severely injured by cars and only last month my son-in-law was lucky to escape with just a broken collar bone. I would stick to designated cycle paths or mountain bike trails of which there are plenty around.

Hi

thanks yeah I guess the Melbourne roads would be dangerous, cycle paths ideal and I want scenic routes, I guess you can get cycle maps

• 2 weeks later...

You've definitely got to try cycling beach Road, thousands of cyclists ride it every weekend and it's a nice flat ride following the coastline. There are bike lanes on the road and also a dedicated bike path alongside.

As for cycling on the roads being dangerous in Australia, it is no more dangerous than Britain. The roads are wider and there are a lot of roads with cycle lanes built onto them and generally people will give you enough space as they pass. As an avid cyclist here and in Britain before I left, I would say I feel much safer cycling in Australia than I ever did in Britain.

If you are looking for more of a challenge then why not try the 7 peaks challenge, it runs from October through to March and involves cycling to the top of the 7 mountains in Victoria which have ski resorts on top. I completed it this season and it was great fun but obviously a reasonable level of fitness is required to get you to the top and some bike handling skill will help you get down again safely.

You've definitely got to try cycling beach Road, thousands of cyclists ride it every weekend and it's a nice flat ride following the coastline. There are bike lanes on the road and also a dedicated bike path alongside.

As for cycling on the roads being dangerous in Australia, it is no more dangerous than Britain. The roads are wider and there are a lot of roads with cycle lanes built onto them and generally people will give you enough space as they pass. As an avid cyclist here and in Britain before I left, I would say I feel much safer cycling in Australia than I ever did in Britain.

If you are looking for more of a challenge then why not try the 7 peaks challenge, it runs from October through to March and involves cycling to the top of the 7 mountains in Victoria which have ski resorts on top. I completed it this season and it was great fun but obviously a reasonable level of fitness is required to get you to the top and some bike handling skill will help you get down again safely.

thanks for the information its great, I will keep it all in mind

I live in Epping and have got on to the CREEK TRAILS a lot..!!

Have a look at the off road paths that run along side any creeks that you can find...great for a walk or cycle...Cheers

Hi

thanks for the information. I'll certainly check the creeks out.