Gold Coast

Guest Brissydeb

Guest Brissydeb

Hi, OH and I r just back from a reccie of Perth, Brisbane and Gold Coast. Although we only had 2 days in Perth (& it is lovely) we have decided to go for the Gold Coast (luv it ).

We looked at a lot of suburbs and really liked Helensvale but someone who lives here (who is Australian and comes from GCoast) has said that parts of Helensvale is `rough'.

We didn't seem any evidence of this and was wondering if anyone here knows more about this area!

Something that made us chuckle is that in a local paper for GCoast they are advertising for Australian teachers to work in either Birmingham or Kent. Stating that they are lovely places to live and a low cost of living can be had (yeh right)!! There not bad places to live (ex-kent girl myself) but as for low cost of living, well don't know were they shop!!

Anyway, any thoughts on Gold Coast suburbs much appreciated.

Can't wait to get back.

Visa submitted 21/4/08 (payment taken straight away but no ack yet)!!

Guest donovan

Hiya Deb

I live on Pacific Pines next to to Helensvale, I suppose like England you get good & bad in all areas, Helensvale has a good school, nice outdoor pool, lovely but small shopping centre but it has all you need. The beach is about 20 mins away as is the mountains, iI know people living in Helensvale that are quite happy

Hope this helps

sarah x

Guest Brissydeb

Thanks for that Sarah, yes we visted the primary school and the admin lady there was really nice. we just `popped' in and she showed us around a bit. Do you have any thoughts on Arundel, we didn't quite have time to go there?

Thax

Deb

p.s. we did visit Pacific Pines but got a bit lost. Are there any shops there?

Guest Laura G

Hi Deb,

I live at Upper Coomera and love it. I have firends at Pacific Pines, Helensvale, Oxenford & Surfers Paradise.

When Aussies refer to places being rough 9 times out of 10 it is nothing compared to what we call rough!!!!

I'm originally from East London so I know what rough is!!!!!!! Trust me, I can't say that I have seen a sinlge place on the Gold Coast that I would call rough. there are just some areas which look a little more older than others.

My son was 9 when I moved here, he is now 11, living right next to WetnWild, Dreamworld & Movie World was like a dream come true for him, he was so exicted about his new life style that settling into a new School never phased him.

Good luck with your move

Laura

Arundel is very nice. The Tee Trees Estate is a lovely new-ish estate there. We live in Coombabah, which is the other side of the highway; our house is on the border with Runaway Bay, which is lovely too. I have never heard anything bad about Helensvale; supposedly it is going to become very popuar, due to great transport links and good schools, according to our local paper. A lady in Woolies told me there is due to be a lot of money spent in the area soon too. It's a big place though, so maybe some parts are better than others. I know around near the Westfield shopping centre, and towards Arundel; Richard works with a man who lives there, and has no problems.

Jo x

Guest Brissydeb

Thax for all the great replies., just when I thought we had settled on a place...... I suppose we just have to wait till we finally get there. Don't know why but never really considered Melbourne! Hard enough trying to figure out whole of Gold Coast let alone another state.

Thax.xx

Hi there!

I have to agree with Laura in that 'rough' in Australia is nothing like 'rough' in the UK!

My brother lives in Robina which is quite south on the Gold Coast. It is growing fast with a massive shopping mall going up soon. It's very nice. Also Elanora, Talebudgeera (spelt wrong) which are much quieter and residential are worth a look. In land in places such as Tamborine and Eagle Heights you can get a lot for your money (more land) and the views are spectacular.

Anyway, just a few ideas!

Kate

Arundel is very nice. The Tee Trees Estate is a lovely new-ish estate there. We live in Coombabah, which is the other side of the highway; our house is on the border with Runaway Bay, which is lovely too. I have never heard anything bad about Helensvale; supposedly it is going to become very popuar, due to great transport links and good schools, according to our local paper. A lady in Woolies told me there is due to be a lot of money spent in the area soon too. It's a big place though, so maybe some parts are better than others. I know around near the Westfield shopping centre, and towards Arundel; Richard works with a man who lives there, and has no problems.

Jo x

Thanks for all this info, my OH & I spent a few days on GC as were told it was a great place to retire to I even had an interview in Pimpama and thought everyone was right it is very relaxed we even had a few nights at the Social Clubs so different to UK, We stayed in Biggera Waters and hope to move to around the same area in a circle from Arundel outwards to Brisbane, I like the house in Helensvale and Coomra but I think everywhere looks nice when the sun shines, I had hoped my daughter would have moved there before us and bought a " Granny Flat "or "Annex Bungalow" then it would certainly make choice a lot easier ( Rent free of course then I could retire )

Deciding where to go and what area is hard thats why everyone sugestes you rent first so you can look around and if you don't like it you can eventually move onto another area

Good Luck with your decision

Evelyn:wideeyed:

Guest Simba
Thanks for that Sarah, yes we visted the primary school and the admin lady there was really nice. we just `popped' in and she showed us around a bit. Do you have any thoughts on Arundel, we didn't quite have time to go there?

Thax

Deb

p.s. we did visit Pacific Pines but got a bit lost. Are there any shops there?

Hi

We are currently buiding in Pacific pines and yes there is a shopping center there, with a woolworths, some small shops and a Tavern, there is also a stocklands land sales office with free maps of Pacific pines in case you need one next time.:biglaugh:

Hi

We are currently buiding in Pacific pines and yes there is a shopping center there, with a woolworths, some small shops and a Tavern, there is also a stocklands land sales office with free maps of Pacific pines in case you need one next time.:biglaugh:

I still get lost in Pac Pines!! Use my sat nav, although it sends me funny ways :twitcy:. It's a great area though, and we are hoping to buy somewhere around Arundel, Pac Pines, Oxenford or Helensvale. Love Biggera Waters (lived there for 5 months) and Runaway Bay, but as hubby uses the motorway everyday, living a bit higher up near the motorway would be more practical, as Brisbane Road (Gold Coast Highway) can get busy at peak times.

Jo x

Guest moonraker1961

Hi just like to say I spent a very long time living in Oz and there are rough areas that compare to the UK.Huge council estates,suburbs that are predominantly one race,yes there are plenty of nice area's in each state but lets keep things realistic!

Hi just like to say I spent a very long time living in Oz and there are rough areas that compare to the UK.Huge council estates,suburbs that are predominantly one race,yes there are plenty of nice area's in each state but lets keep things realistic!

Where in Oz did you live?

Guest moonraker1961

I lived in Adelaide.I could name quite a few rough area's but won't as don't want to offend anyone!But I do know for a fact there are huge council estates in Adelaide (and of course other cities in Oz)I used to live in one many moons ago when I first got married,thank god we only stayed there for 2 years before moving up in the world.We ended up moving to a small country town.I could of not imagined my daughters growing up where we first lived,rough as rough,druggies,crims you name it.Kids running riot (not mine).I sometimes recall those days and cringe!!

Guest moonraker1961

No sorry I can't help you there!lol There are lots of beautiful places in Oz though.People emigrating will of course suss these out when they move to Oz but its not very helpful if we can't tell them places to avoid really before they arrive lol

Guest That One

Rough areas on the gold coast? Hmmm, let me think....

Parts of Southport,

Labrador

Nerang

Palm Beach

West Burleigh

Beenleigh (probably considered more of a brisbane subarb maybe..)

Thats all i can think of...

Rough areas on the gold coast? Hmmm, let me think....

Parts of Southport,

Labrador

Nerang

Palm Beach

West Burleigh

Beenleigh (probably considered more of a brisbane subarb maybe..)

Thats all i can think of...

Blimey!

What places in the UK would you put these on par with on the roughness scale?

Guest That One

I guess they arent really on par with the rough areas in the UK, but if i had to pick 'rough' areas of the Gold Coast, then these are the areas that i would pick. :smile:

Surfers got an absoulte hammering in the courier mail this weekend ,did anyone read it? looking at the pics and reading what the police said id easily compare it with the centre of manchester weekend nights,they are saying its being loved to death and there just isnt enough room for club /pub goers ,always ends up kicking off,they said its great until about 10pm then chaos starts.Still a lovely place to take the family during the day though.

i think its quite normal for touristy seafront areas to carry a slightly higher crime rate than other suburbs,some of the houses look abit old and dated but there are some stunning new ones being built.The areas listed in the above post do have a slighlty higher cime rate but not enough really to stop me living there.Even Beenleigh has cleaned up its act alot and Mt Warren Park isnt bad ,lots of new familys are settling there.

Cal x

Guest JoanneHattersley

I read that too. I have to say I took an instant dislike to the GC the first time I saw it though. OK, the 2nd time! The 1st time i saw it I was running up the beach shouting "we live here" Just wasnt my cup of tea!

Im a sunny coast girl meself! LOL!

Guest Pom in Paradise

hi, i stayed near Helensvale when I moved to Oz. (monterey keys). The area is a great place to start and find your feet. If you want any help finding a place to stay let me know as I now work in real estate on the Gold Coast.

Good Luck!!

Guest welchy

hi,imso confused,hoping to be in gold coast in the next 12 months,never been before so just relying on internet at mo,looking at Robina,Miami,broadbeach any ideas?? we have 3 children so schools need to be close by they are 12 and 9 at moment,does anyone know how far robina is from the beach?Have even been looking as far up as pacific pines but looks too far from beach?help im going mad.claire

My brother lives in Robina. It's probably about ten minutes drive from Main Beach. It's a very up and coming town. They are building a new town centre with lots of shops and stuff. Lots of schools around. My niece goes to Clover Hill. It's a very raved about state school.

My husband and I like Pacific Pines. It's again quite new. People tend to buy plots of land and build their own house there.

We like loads of areas actually! I can't wait to start choosing which one I want to live in!

Kate

Archived