Gold Coast

Guest Brissydeb

Guest janinoz

We have been here a month now and we live in Helensvale just off Discovery Drive which is 5 mins from Westfield shopping centre and 15 mins from the nearest beach.

Our son who is 10 goes to Helensvale stste primary and has settled in straight away. We have his buddies calling on him to play out after school which is great. He swims every night at Runaway Bay sports complex where the facilities are fantastic. A 50m outdoor pool where the sun sets in a beautiful orange sky while they train.We pinch ourselves every night.

Same as driving along the roads when you cross a fantastic broadwater with boats like you have never seen before...its stunning. I class myself as very lucky to live here every day.

I personally havent seen any "rough" areas in Helensvale but understand what people are trying to say about some places on the coast. They just look a litle "scruffy" and you will just know when you get here where you would like to live and where you wouldnt. We went on the general upkeep of peoples driveways and garden edges. We guessed if they were kept up to then the people must be ok.

We are now in a 4 bed lowset with its own pool which is fab. The rooms in this house a huge. We bought a 52" TV and it just looks like a 32" would do in a normal size room!

Its not easy but then again we knew it wouldnt be. We have come over here with an open mind and will just give it a shot. If it doesnt work out so be it. We ll try somewhere else!

Surfers during the day is lovely.We have been to the surf clubs for lunch and they are great and the food is good. I am aware also that Surfers on a night probably isnt somewhere i would go...so i wont go.

There are some beautiful places on the Gold Coast but i still see some people cringe when i say thats where i live. These are generally people who have never been and have the narrow minded view that it is all like Surfers. It isnt at all.

We are quite happy here for now...maybe not for ever but i never say never!!

Good luck with your choices.

Janice x

Guest Brissydeb

Thanks for reply Janice, that's good to know about Helensvale. We looked around the primary school there and must say the staff were brillant. we didn't have an appoinment but the lady there made us feel really welcome. What year is your son in? Our youngest is in Year 3 here.

Nice to hear that kids do play out after school as someone told me all the kids do after school is stay in and my boys wouldn't like that at all!!

We really liked the Gold Coast as the action for the boys is there yet u don't have to live right on top of it. As long as the boys are kept amused & happy then I'm happy. Do you know if there are any sports clubs there (particularly Basketball). Thanks

Debs

• 1 month later...

Hi

Dave and I are currently living in Coomera Springs and will be selling this property in the not too distant future, it will be good to know the pitfalls of selling a property over here. Which real estate agents do you work for? Any advice on selling would be great.

Thanks Kath

:chatterbox:

hi, i stayed near Helensvale when I moved to Oz. (monterey keys). The area is a great place to start and find your feet. If you want any help finding a place to stay let me know as I now work in real estate on the Gold Coast.

Good Luck!!

Guest The Stobbarts down under

HI there, we live in Elanora which is right down the south, very close to the coast if thats what you are looking for, houses are lovely so are the people. Schools have a good rep here too my sons are 7 and 4 and are both very happy at their school and kindy, after school we pop down the beach for a quick swim or a surf. Still only 30 mins away from surfers so you get the best of both worlds. It's also nice being so close to the border NSW as you can pop over and see another state, even tho it's not that different really. Lots of cool shops, the Stocklands at Burleigh is a really good shopping centre.

Rent is about $400 for a 4 bed place if you want a pool you can spend about another $40 a week

Hope this helps

Archived