Moving Family & Parents Retiring HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Red16

I have a similar question. My wife and I a planning to move next year got the ball roll already. If we become Australian citizens after four years what are the chances of my wife's mum coming over if something should happen to her dad?? There is bit of an age gap between them (8) years.

Subject to the above, you can sponsor after 2 years - no need to be citizens.

However, the fees, which are just over 60k per person, are likely to continue the march of steep increases already seen in recent years, so I would budget a fair bit more than that. Also, of course it would be subject to her passing a medical. But, always remember, the system changes regularly and rules change a lot, so don't assume it is in the bag.

always remember, the system changes regularly and rules change a lot, so don't assume it is in the bag.

This is a really, really important point IMO.

Anyone who is thinking "I'd like to migrate but only if my parents come too" would be wise not to burn their bridges in the UK: rent out your house rather than sell it, rent instead of buying in Australia, don't transfer your pension. etc. Then two years down the track, if you find bringing your parents out is impossible, you'll be able to go back without too much pain.

The reason I say that is because there are so many things that can go wrong in two years. The rules can and do change all the time: fees go up, requirements are raised, and whole visa types can be discontinued overnight, so you may find it's too expensive or no longer an option. Then of course there's health - parents can seem hale and hearty when you leave, but the reality is that once you're over 60, health becomes much less predictable. Who knows if they will still be in such good health in two years - you can't predict for certain that they'll pass the medical.

And before you say anything, I'm over 60 myself and don't feel elderly in the slightest: but statistics show that health starts to decline steeply for most people at 60, and from then on there's a much higher risk of developing serious illness than at any time in your earlier life. I only have to look around at friends and family to see how many of them have already started having little (or big!) health scares, niggling health problems like blood pressure or cholesterol or arthritis, etc.

That was why I waited so long apparently, I needed to wait for someone who was experienced in giving advice on that particular visa?!

DIBP are not there to give advice, and they are not experienced enough to do it even if they were. If you want advice, you should speak with a registered migration agent.

Archived