Pet Travel

lissyqq

Hi

I have just received confirmation for both my small yorkies to travel in June this year. I am worried sick for them both as they never normally leave my side for more than a few hours. Is there anything you can put in their crate to keep them calm? They are travelling together so will have a little comfort. Also are they allowed out of the crate at all between flights for a breather and toilet?

From experience when you collect your dogs after quarantine do they actually forgive you for putting them through this :(

I'm sure they will be traumatized by it all! Do the vets check to make sure they can cope with it as mine are really timid

Any advice would be greatly received

Thanks

You will be surprised how well they cope.

Our little Chihuahua has just made the journey in reverse - Oz to UK.

He is a very nervous little thing and is VERY close to my wife. They go every where together including bed.

He was checked by a vet on the morning of flight, then checked again in the evening by the airport staff. In between he went for walks and things aqnd Pet Air who were amazing even sent us emails with pictures showing him relaxing before the flight.

In Dubai, he was given sole use of an indoor air conditioned run to stretch his legs and they are usually fed as well, though ours couldn't be fed as he needs medication with meals - he was pretty hungry when he finally arrived in London!!

We put a old jumper of my wifes in his crate with him as a comforter.

He was perfectly fine when we picked him up except for being tired and he had jet lag for nearly 2 weeks. This made him very sleepy and he didn't really understand why it was day time when his body said it was night time. But, he is back to normal now and has even acclimatised. I think he probably just spent the flight sleeping. They have unlimted access to water during the flight as well.

Thank you so much for this advice verystormy! it has helped me a little as I am worried sick for them. My husband is usually matter of fact about it but I've even managed to get him worrying about them lol. My biggest worry is that they will forget me when they come out of quarantine as 10 days for a dog is a very long time. I'm also worried about how they will cope with the noise on the plane. I think I am over worrying as I have been told they are resilient and cope better than humans.

Hi

I have just received confirmation for both my small yorkies to travel in June this year. I am worried sick for them both as they never normally leave my side for more than a few hours. Is there anything you can put in their crate to keep them calm? They are travelling together so will have a little comfort. Also are they allowed out of the crate at all between flights for a breather and toilet?

From experience when you collect your dogs after quarantine do they actually forgive you for putting them through this :(

I'm sure they will be traumatized by it all! Do the vets check to make sure they can cope with it as mine are really timid

Thanks

Our Shar Pei is travelling in late April so I will detail his movements step by step on here partially for my frayed nerves !

We sent our Cocker Spaniel when we emigrated years ago I can still hear his howls when he was put in the crate at Heathrow !

But he survived 3 months in quarantine which was the stipulation at the time and was in great condition when we picked him up

This time quarantine is only 10 days and we have allready made arrangements to have him flown to Adelaide that should be around May 8th or 9th

As I said though he knows nothing it's me his Mum who is nervous !!!

Aww I'm same its horrible I keep waking up from dreams seeing their little faces terrified in their crate. Only dog lovers will understand the pain we feel. They are my best friends and I'm sending them to a prison camp :(

We have not had to do quarantine as it isn't required when going Oz - UK. But, we originally lived in Sydney and got him there. When we moved to WA, he came with us and had to spend 2 weeks in a kennel while we found a place to live.

We picked him up and he was incredibly pleased to see us and certainly remembered us without any hesitation and was none the worse for it.

Hi verystormy,

Just wondering as quarantine is not involved when coming back to the UK, was that why your dog was allowed out? I'm not sure when travelling over to Oz if the crates are allowed to be opened until arrival at the quarantine station. If this is the case the dogs have a layover at Dubai for 7 hours and in total that's 30 hours travel and this is a very long time for dogs to be penned up?This is whats worrying me more than anything

Dogs won't forget you after 10 days. You are probably worrying far more than you need to.

Cross the bridges as you need to. You can't cross them till then ;) See how they are after quarantine and a couple of weeks settling in to their new home. Don't go overboard spoiling them or anything OTT, just get them back into their routine and hopefully they will start to settle. If they do show issues then, address them then.

Hi verystormy,

Just wondering as quarantine is not involved when coming back to the UK, was that why your dog was allowed out? I'm not sure when travelling over to Oz if the crates are allowed to be opened until arrival at the quarantine station. If this is the case the dogs have a layover at Dubai for 7 hours and in total that's 30 hours travel and this is a very long time for dogs to be penned up?This is whats worrying me more than anything

Talk to your pet shipper about the stop over arrangements

They can tell you what will happen.

Hi

Thanks

Oh I totally know how you are feeling! I also have 2 yorkies coming when we go in November, and I am worrying more about them than anything else. Mine are also timid, frightened of loud noises, other dogs strangers etc and are very cuddly. I too worry about the stop over in Dubai, and I also worry about the fact they might not eat at quarantine (mine arent keen on kibble). Plus I worry about the heat in the quarantine station etc. Who are you using for their shipping?

Hi Cherry

We are using jets4pets as they have let the dogs travel in the same crate without a divider as they are both really small. Sam at the company has been very helpful and talks me through it to try and reassure me but I am literally having panic moments every time I think about it :( God knows what I'm going to be like on the day. My dogs are really fussy eaters and not very often eat dry food so its going to be hard on them. The thing with yorkies are they usually are very fussy eaters so I'm expecting some weight loss although my oldest is only 2kg so really cant afford for her to lose weight. Who are you using?

Thank you so much for this advice verystormy! it has helped me a little as I am worried sick for them. My husband is usually matter of fact about it but I've even managed to get him worrying about them lol. My biggest worry is that they will forget me when they come out of quarantine as 10 days for a dog is a very long time. I'm also worried about how they will cope with the noise on the plane. I think I am over worrying as I have been told they are resilient and cope better than humans.

They definitely won't forget you after 10 days. I left my little dog for 4 weeks when I went back to the UK last year. I think I got a bigger welcome from him than from my husband when I arrived back here :laugh: He most certainly hadn't forgotten who I was.

Hi verystormy,

I cant be 100% certain, but I would not think it makes a difference. When he reached Heathrow, he was still treated as bonded cargo in effect. We had to pick him up from the ARC - where all the animals arrive and there was still a lot of customs forms and things. I know the airline - Emirates - also had a policy of checking him by a vet in Dubai

Oh I totally know how you are feeling! I also have 2 yorkies coming when we go in November, and I am worrying more about them than anything else. Mine are also timid, frightened of loud noises, other dogs strangers etc and are very cuddly. I too worry about the stop over in Dubai, and I also worry about the fact they might not eat at quarantine (mine arent keen on kibble). Plus I worry about the heat in the quarantine station etc. Who are you using for their shipping?

Don't worry.

They get boarded onto the aircraft very quickly to reduce stress - they are boarded last. Then, they are taken off first. They actually get off before 1st class. So, the only real noise is the engine which is not sudden and pretty similar to what we hear when flying.

We were also worried about Dubai as he had a 7 hour lay over. But, it seems they are very well looked after. They are picked up from the plane in an air conditioned vehicle and taken to the animal centre and that is fully air conditioned as well.

My wife was in tears when she dropped him on the morning of the flight. He had to be dropped in Perth as 10:30 am for a 10pm flight. But, we had photos sent during this showing he was very happy - he spent most of it curled up on the lap of the agent lol.

We found all of the staff in the process wonderful. In fact, I will always remember waiting for him at Heathrow and when it was his turn to come out, they came to ask if we had a lead for him. We did and handed it over. But when he came out, one of the staff was carrying him and said he didn't put the lead on as he wanted to have a last cuddle with him.

Hi Cherry

We are using jets4pets as they have let the dogs travel in the same crate without a divider as they are both really small. Sam at the company has been very helpful and talks me through it to try and reassure me but I am literally having panic moments every time I think about it :( God knows what I'm going to be like on the day. My dogs are really fussy eaters and not very often eat dry food so its going to be hard on them. The thing with yorkies are they usually are very fussy eaters so I'm expecting some weight loss although my oldest is only 2kg so really cant afford for her to lose weight. Who are you using?

Still getting quotes but will probably be PetAir as they go from Glasgow. Unfortunately I am way up in the Scottish Highlands and so my choices are fairly limited. I dont think mine could share a crate as one is 16lb so a big boy and the other is around 12lb. But the smaller one is still a puppy. I am going to feed mine up before I go, not that they really need it but best to be sure! Plus I have to organise travel from Melbourne to Perth yet as well.

Don't worry.

They get boarded onto the aircraft very quickly to reduce stress - they are boarded last. Then, they are taken off first. They actually get off before 1st class. So, the only real noise is the engine which is not sudden and pretty similar to what we hear when flying.

We were also worried about Dubai as he had a 7 hour lay over. But, it seems they are very well looked after. They are picked up from the plane in an air conditioned vehicle and taken to the animal centre and that is fully air conditioned as well.

My wife was in tears when she dropped him on the morning of the flight. He had to be dropped in Perth as 10:30 am for a 10pm flight. But, we had photos sent during this showing he was very happy - he spent most of it curled up on the lap of the agent lol.

We found all of the staff in the process wonderful. In fact, I will always remember waiting for him at Heathrow and when it was his turn to come out, they came to ask if we had a lead for him. We did and handed it over. But when he came out, one of the staff was carrying him and said he didn't put the lead on as he wanted to have a last cuddle with him.

Thats good to know, thankyou verystormy x

Our boy will only have a couple of hours in Dubai and he stays on the same plane personally I would not like to think he was let out as he is a runner and can run for England when let loose !

The lass I used to speak to when our Cocker was in quarantine was lovely and she obviously loved animals

He was in Sydney for 3 month we were in Adelaide and didnot see him at all

When we picked him up at Adelaide aiport he cried like a baby ( so did we ) but yes he knew us he was quietuntil he saw us

The only quirk we found was he would not go into the garden at first without one of us being with him and he would push the loo,door open - he didn't like us out of sight I suppose but he soon got over it

Out Pei eats raw I am changing him to kibble bit by bit so that he will eat the quarantine food but let's face it if he is hungry he will eat eventually

We are shipping him with Golden Arrow and they seem to have everything spot on and have guided us through the processes for getting him there

Don't worry.

I'm in tears just reading that LOL I am a very neurotic Mother when it comes to the baby image.jpgall 22 kilo of him

image.jpg

Our boy will only have a couple of hours in Dubai and he stays on the same plane personally I would not like to think he was let out as he is a runner and can run for England when let loose !

The lass I used to speak to when our Cocker was in quarantine was lovely and she obviously loved animals

He was in Sydney for 3 month we were in Adelaide and didnot see him at all

When we picked him up at Adelaide aiport he cried like a baby ( so did we ) but yes he knew us he was quietuntil he saw us

The only quirk we found was he would not go into the garden at first without one of us being with him and he would push the loo,door open - he didn't like us out of sight I suppose but he soon got over it

Out Pei eats raw I am changing him to kibble bit by bit so that he will eat the quarantine food but let's face it if he is hungry he will eat eventually

We are shipping him with Golden Arrow and they seem to have everything spot on and have guided us through the processes for getting him there

I think you will find he will be unloaded in Dubai. They insist on it and give them a quick health check / make sure they have water.

But, I wouldn't worry about him escaping - first, the centres are totally secure. Even humans get it in or out without a pass. Then the K9 area is separate.

You would be amazed at the different animals that go through - everything from horses to fish and every animal in between that you can imagine.

You haven't seen anything of a neurotic mother.

Have you ever seen an entire clothes line made up just of doggy clothes! Yep.

Or, how about this one. My wife is worried that the standard dog tags are too big for him and he finds them unconfutable. So, after searching high and low (she wants one in the shape of a bone) and to no avail, she has hit on the plan to test the famous claim of Harrods that "they can get you anything in the world". So, guess where we are off to next weekend to present a challenge.

Have to admit though that I am totally besotted by him as well :)

Still getting quotes but will probably be PetAir as they go from Glasgow. Unfortunately I am way up in the Scottish Highlands and so my choices are fairly limited. I dont think mine could share a crate as one is 16lb so a big boy and the other is around 12lb. But the smaller one is still a puppy. I am going to feed mine up before I go, not that they really need it but best to be sure! Plus I have to organise travel from Melbourne to Perth yet as well.

We are using Jetpets to send our Pei from Melbourne to Adelaide they have been good with sorting things plus my son has used them a few times to have pups sent from interstate

Hi lissyqq.

Bless you! You will worry until you see them safe and sound, but if it is any consolation the humans worry more about this than the pets. They will deffo know who you are after the quarantine stay and will be super happy to see you first and then may require a ton of spoiling (which they will get i am sure).

Chat to your shipper about the stopover they will outline it for you, but the comments here are mostly spot on.

Keep us all posted and best of luck to your little furballs.

Thanks Bob Im trying not to get anxious as I know they will pick up on it. Will keep you posted :)

Hi lissyqq.

Bless you! You will worry until you see them safe and sound, but if it is any consolation the humans worry more about this than the pets. They will deffo know who you are after the quarantine stay and will be super happy to see you first and then may require a ton of spoiling (which they will get i am sure).

Chat to your shipper about the stopover they will outline it for you, but the comments here are mostly spot on.

Keep us all posted and best of luck to your little furballs.

Archived