Need advice and ideas for a graduate looking to stay in aus

stephenksa

Hello,

I am posting here to find out what options are available to me for staying longer in Australia. I am on a student visa for an exchange year (july 2015 ) leaving in july(2016) now i wish to stay longer but not sure on what is the correct way to do so.

About me ..... I am a graduate in IT and living in melbs looking for a full time work in my field of study.

Currently what i know is... i can either stay here but getting onto a another student visa for a masters and then apply for temp / graduate visa after my two years of studying.

I can apply for the standing working holiday visa however would have to change jobs every 6 months.

The skilled visa i cant do as i do not have work experience in my area

The company sponsorship is an idea however finding the company is the challenging part due to lack of experience etc...

Have i missed any other option?

Thanks

Stephen

You mean getting an employer to sponsor you? Migration agents will help with the visa part, but you need to find the sponsor yourself first.

In my experience it's not an easy process. However, if your skills really are in demand then it is possible.

In terms of what kind of knowledge? If you want application/visa advice then any MARA registered agent will be able to help with that. I think in terms of finding sponsorship in the IT field, with no work experience, you're really up against it. A new grad just isn't a very attractive option to an employer - especially since they would have to undertake a visa process, which means work for them and meet a salary benchmark.

Also, be aware that if you go for the further study option, you are likely to still find yourself in the same issue - a grad visa is unlikely to end up giving you enough time to get the experience to pass a skills assessment. The choice is likely to be go home now and get the experience to pass a skills assessment, or spend a lot of money on further study, then go home to get the experience to pass the skills assessment

And i am sure you have seen that for the WHV option you need to be offshore to apply https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/417- plus add in the work restrictions as you have noted as well. The main obstacle still seems to be fact as far as permanent jobs go you would be competing against people with experience so may have to accept you need a long term plan to get that experience first. Whether a masters for example assuming in the IT field makes you any more attractive to an employer versus experience is debatable. Maybe a masters and experience but who knows as in some fields can even become over qualified.

easiest option for IT grad is pretty much:

Student Visa -> Graduate Visa (doing professional year) -> Apply 189 Visa.

The professional year program will waive the working experience requirement when you are doing your ACS skill assessment.

With an Australian degree + professional year, you should be able to achieve at least 60 points to lodge in your EOI for 189 visa.

I believe to be eligible to apply for a graduate visa/professional year you have to have just completed 2 years study in Australia. I understand the OP has done just one.

Unless it has changed since I got mine you do indeed need 2 years of study.

I believe to be eligible to apply for a graduate visa/professional year you have to have just completed 2 years study in Australia. I understand the OP has done just one.

That is true. You need at least 2 years of study in Australia to be eligible for a graduate visa.

But this is to assume that OP is going to take a Master.

Currently what i know is... i can either stay here but getting onto a another student visa for a masters and then apply for temp / graduate visa after my two years of studying.

• 2 weeks later...
easiest option for IT grad is pretty much:

Student Visa -> Graduate Visa (doing professional year) -> Apply 189 Visa.

The professional year program will waive the working experience requirement when you are doing your ACS skill assessment.

With an Australian degree + professional year, you should be able to achieve at least 60 points to lodge in your EOI for 189 visa.

This would be the easiest option you are right however only down side is my degree i studied in the uk and spent 1 year on exchange year here ....so i will need to attend university for one more year in Australia or do a masters to get two years minimum needed for the 485 temp grad visa requirements then i can go forward with the professional year and 189!

hmm a lot to consider!

This would be the easiest option you are right however only down side is my degree i studied in the uk and spent 1 year on exchange year here ....so i will need to attend university for one more year in Australia or do a masters to get two years minimum needed for the 485 temp grad visa requirements then i can go forward with the professional year and 189!

hmm a lot to consider!

The obvious issue with this - as well as being VERY expensive, is that most skills assessments require 3 years post qualified experience. You need to check what yours requires, but if it is 3, you would then need leave in order to get more experience before you could could apply

The obvious issue with this - as well as being VERY expensive, is that most skills assessments require 3 years post qualified experience. You need to check what yours requires, but if it is 3, you would then need leave in order to get more experience before you could could apply

The Student Visa (Bachelor/Master) > Graduate Visa (while professional year-ing) > apply 189 route is indeed VERY expensive. However, the professional year program waived the requirement for work experience in skill assessment. This is applicable, at least for ACS, CPA and EA.

hmm a lot to consider!

Yeah, I'm afraid what you have mentioned is the only way to go from obtaining the graduate visa.

Archived