Conversion from Working Visa to PR Queensland

macnet

HI folks,

I'm an Australian Citizen and been here 16years from the UK (born there)

I have a son from a previous relationship who livesin the UK, and is 21 years old, he has just qualified as car mechanic he alsohas a partner who is a qualified Child Care worker (currently being assessed bythe ACECQA and we anticipate approval soon). Both a booked tocome to Queensland in June this year onworking Holiday visas.

Ihave a job lined up with a Child CareCentre in Manly for his partner which isgood, but also I've got an agency interestedin my son as a car mechanic.

Mychallenge is that the agency has concerns he can only work in one place for up to 6 months which means there not keen to take him on, I guess rightly so.

So,I'm thinking that going the PR route may be the best option as they both would liketo live here – we where thinking of doing this inthe long term anyway.

Doesanyone know how long the PR route takes nowadays and also recommend a Migration agent around the Redlands Queensland area? I also understand that both of there Occupations are in the Occupation Demand list.

Thanksfor you advise folks in advance

Hiya Mark

I think for your son to get PR or 457, he'll need to get his skills assessed by vetassess, they usually require 5 years experience.

Vetassess " In Stage 1 we will review your training and employment evidence to determine whether you meet Australian trade requirements. Your evidence must show you have at least 5 years' experience in your occupation at the skill level required. This may include time spent in training. Your evidence must show you have worked in your occupation in the last 3 years and must be able to be verified "

that could be done in a couple of months.

lets say he gets that all done within the first 6 months of his working holiday visa, and the place you mentioned wants to sponsor him, he could submit his visa, work there on a bridging visa and wait for approval.

or

apply PR 189 / 190 as soon as vetassess and ielts is done (if you need points) get medicals done, police checks, form 80, front load it all. Jump on a bridging visa, work anywhere till its approved, then work anywhere when its approved.

I could be jumping the gun here, if anyone would like to confirm or correct me..... but very possible if your sons on the ball

Folks

here is his work history - names changed

XX Nissan

June 2014 to present date: fully qualified vehicle technician

XX motor homes

December 2010 to June 2014: Apprentice

XX car centre

July 2010 to December 2010: Apprentice

XX Autos

April 2009 to July 2010: weekend garage hand

Am not too sure about that Verystormy, vetassess is very confusing.

Take mine for instance, Chef, same criteria to be met. I never went to college for it, they know that, and yet they asked for employment history for 5 years. whos to say when i was classed as an apprentice, at what stage, when was i not an apprentice? have I always been an apprentice? etc

Am not too sure about that Verystormy, vetassess is very confusing.

Take mine for instance, Chef, same criteria to be met. I never went to college for it, they know that, and yet they asked for employment history for 5 years. whos to say when i was classed as an apprentice, at what stage, when was i not an apprentice? have I always been an apprentice? etc

It is actually very clear unless you are going via RPL. Which would not apply to the OP and an attempt at RPL would still produce a negative result

What kind of evidence do I need?

Your skilled employment, education and training assessment evidence is a collection of certified documents proving you have the skilled employment, education and training, skills and knowledge to work as a tradesperson in Australia.

You need to show that you have worked full time in your trade for at least five years. This may include time spent in training.

Your skilled employment, education and training assessment evidence should show how your employment experience, education and training is related to the specific units of competency for your qualification.

Where does it say 5 years post qualifcation on their website Verystormy? send us link, because i'm either being blind or stupid

Correct - but, this is only a part of the story and why I always recommend people seek advice from an RMA. Skills assessing bodies will allow RPL. However, they will assume that an apprenticeship is 3 years. So, if presenting 5 years total, with 3 as an apprentice, they will award 2 years experience. However, if an apprentice has taken 5 years, they will award zero experience.

The only occupations I can think of that will gain a positive skills assessment without post qualification experience after 9 years on here are:

Engineers

Nurses - though without 3 months they struggle to get registration

Accountants - though flagged for SOL removal.

Archived