UK Diploma Nurses - NZ & OZ Rego

so; i don't usually post on here- and have instead been using a forum on Facebook for UK Nurses applying for AHPRA and ANMAC- and thought i would share my recent progress towards gaining registration overseas and share a glimmer of hope to those nurses who are being put off/ knocked back or refused registration in Australia.

18 months or more ago; i applied to AHPRA- not realising the troubles UK nurses who have DipHe were up against; needless to say my application progressed; with some considerable expense; which culminated in me being referred to complete a bridging course in Australia and being given until 30th april this year to complete. after negotiations AHPRA granted me permission to enrol and not complete my bridging course by the 30th april- with which they would continue to recognise my original application for the purposes of reassessment upon completion of bridging course.

Well in the meantime; and with some risk; i thought i would chance an application to New Zealand. at the end of the day; didn't have much to lose; however i did have the possible gain of not having to fork out $11,000 in tuition fees.

So submitted my application to NZ on 6th January 2016; tracking events on my application to date as shown below;

[TABLE=class: osdocsTable, width: 100%]

[TR]

[TH=class: style3]Event Date[/TH]

[TH=class: style4]Event[/TH]

[TH]Comments[/TH]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: style3]14 Mar 2016[/TD]

[TD=class: style4]Further Stage One documentation received [/TD]

[TD]Received Professional Development[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: style3]14 Mar 2016[/TD]

[TD=class: style4]Ready for assessment [/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: style3]15 Feb 2016[/TD]

[TD=class: style4]Transcript received[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: style4]Syllabus received[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: style4]Verification of registration received [/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: style4]Further Stage One documentation requested[/TD]

[TD]Require evidence of professional development [/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: style3]09 Feb 2016[/TD]

[TD=class: style4]Acknowledgement sent[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: style3]06 Jan 2016[/TD]

[TD=class: style4]Application Received[/TD]

[TD]Application received via web[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Well this very morning; i received an email from NZ - stating "Pending international & Australian Police checks" i would be granted NZ Registration.

up until now; it has been scarcely known the DipHe nurses with modules or Advanced Diphe nurses get registration in NZ- well; i don't fit into either of these categories.

I am Adult DipHe trained; with 5 post reg years of experience in AMU, Aged care and District Nursing. with no Uni CPD Modules; Only in service training and Mandatory Training. and even then the records i submitted were somewhat patchy to say the least!

so essentially the conclusion from the above; if any UK Diphe nurses are considering Australian registration; particularly Adult trained nurses! it may be worth your while applying to NZ first! having gained registration in new zealand (and you don't even have to be in the country or enter it in the future) you can then use the Trans-Tasman Mutual Recognition Legislation to then move your NZ Rego to Oz- under this legislation all nurses registered in new zealand are recognised for registration purposes in Australia.

My next movements once my annual practising certificate arrives from NZ; is a) apply to ANMAC for a modified skills assessment for PR b) attend AHPRA office in person and submit my TTMR Application along with supplementary evidence c) once i have my ANMAC skills assessment completed - apply for PR! - Thankfully ANMAC allow you to complete a modified skills assessment no matter which of the two NZ/AHPRA registers you appear on!

i hope the above is of use and informative to those struggling with AHPRA!

Matt x

Good for you Matt. I'm doing the same thing as an electrician at the moment.

Likewise im doing the same whilst I'm in New Zealand. Haven't actually lodged an application yet but I was made aware they might recognise my OTSR so I don't have to sit the practical assessment. If not practical are twice a year in June and November. How far through are you ?

Likewise im doing the same whilst I'm in New Zealand. Haven't actually lodged an application yet but I was made aware they might recognise my OTSR so I don't have to sit the practical assessment. If not practical are twice a year in June and November. How far through are you ?

As I applied as a Canadian, I don't have an ostr from Australia, I just got an assessment from tra purely for migration. I sent my paperwork for assessment last week, so just waiting for the results before I book the course.

• 7 months later...

Interesting post. I'm hoping to make the move down under with the same qualification (DipHe in adult nursing). When I found out about the degree requirements for oz registration I though I'd hit a brick wall but this post gives me hope. Have you managed to gain Australian registration? If you are willing I'd like to pick your brains further about this subject.

Cheers.

Interesting post. I'm hoping to make the move down under with the same qualification (DipHe in adult nursing). When I found out about the degree requirements for oz registration I though I'd hit a brick wall but this post gives me hope. Have you managed to gain Australian registration? If you are willing I'd like to pick your brains further about this subject.

Cheers.

You need to be very careful in relying on post even 6 months old as regulations change.

Cheers.

The minimum requirement in New Zealand for registered nurse registration is now also a Bachelor degree ,( equivalent to level 7 on the NZ qualification framework)

The minimum requirement in New Zealand for registered nurse registration is now also a Bachelor degree ,( equivalent to level 7 on the NZ qualification framework)

Do you know this from experience? If so do you know when the rules changed? I realise the entry is the equvilant of a NZQA level 7 but I can't seem to find a table of comparable qualifications.

Thanks

Do you know this from experience? If so do you know when the rules changed? I realise the entry is the equvilant of a NZQA level 7 but I can't seem to find a table of comparable qualifications.

International applicants must have a nursing qualification that

• is equivalent to level 7 (in New Zealand this is a bachelors degree) on the New Zealand Qualifications Framework

nternational applicants must have a nursing qualification that

• full time study for a minimum of 3 years, completed within 5 years of first enrolment.

• meet the education standards for the registered nurse programme in New Zealand.

Taken from the NZ nursing board site

Also i know in some states you do see many jobs advertised that the minimum requirement is a BA degree

Edited by shaunfreo
missing info

• is equivalent to level 7 (in New Zealand this is a bachelors degree) on the New Zealand Qualifications Framework

nternational applicants must have a nursing qualification that

• full time study for a minimum of 3 years, completed within 5 years of first enrolment.

• meet the education standards for the registered nurse programme in New Zealand.

Taken from the NZ nursing board site

Also i know in some states you do see many jobs advertised that the minimum requirement is a BA degree

sorry missed the first bit out in previous post

sorry missed the first bit out in previous post

This certainly is is a confusing situation. I received an email today form the NZ nursing council stating that the Diploma is not the equivalent to the level 7 however all applications are assessed individually and considered on their own merits, taking into consideration work experience and ongoing professional development/post grad studies. It seems this process is subjective and the outcome will differ from person to person. Yikes!