Shipping bikes, how to clean them?

Becks22

Hi, we are taking our bikes to Oz with us, as they are expensive and able to get in the container. They have been used rurally so they are not the cleanest bikes in the world! Does anyone know what the most acceptable form of cleaning for shipping is for bikes? Is a standard clean up enough or do bikes have to be steam cleaned (and if so will this damage them?!) thanks!

Avoid a pressure cleaner. It will strip the lube out of the bearings and they could seize up in shipping. Muc off and a good scrub will be fine. Just make sue no organic matter is struck in the wheels. Once clean then lube and deflate the tyres slightly. Shippers will want wrap so remove pedals and turn handlebars flat to side. Don't let the shippers do it, and don't let them wheel the bikes outside after cleaning, get them to wrap them whilst pristine. Customs may well unwrap to check but as long as they have no dirt they will be fine.

My son sent some boxes which included his bike.

On a trip to the UK I was delegated with the task of cleaning it and putting it in the bike box.

I didn't worry too much about the grease but set to with a toothbrush and hot soapy water on the tyres etc.

Have to say it was not entirely perfect but no problems.

• 3 weeks later...

AQIS expect that bikes are thoroughly cleaned, especially the wheels, and have a disinfectant applied to them. Something like Jeyes does the trick, and smells strong, which is what AQIS like.

I would second @rammygirl about the bearings, so don't use a pressure washer if you can help it. Although it's no problem if you avoid directly spraying any moving parts.

A steam clean has been suggested by some other people on the forum, in the past. But I think it's a bit of overkill and not everyone would have access to a steam cleaner. Like a pressure washer, avoid steaming any moving parts.

Another alternative would be to remove the tyres and buy new ones at the other end.

It's not easy getting mud off rubber, it sticks to it like super super superglue.....I just cleaned my wellies, after they were worn at a festival in the UK 'summer'. I would have dumped them but they are Hunter boots and would have cost a fortune to replace.

As above. good wash with soapy water then rub down the tires etc with neat jeyes fluid. it stinks but will do the job.

I boxed my bike up and it wasnt touched. The wheels and tires i wrapped in cling film and left near the front so they could take a look if they wanted to and again they werent touched (as far as i can tell) the tires had some ingrained dirt marks that wouldnt come off, but with the level of jeyes i through about, customs didnt appear to be that fussed

Archived