spending money for uk

Rosiegirl

That's the one that gave me grief!!!! but could be OK for single currency. Be aware that some atm's will ask if you want to convert from (or to) AU$ even though you only have pounds loaded on it:confused: which was just one of the problems we encountered.

I've used them on half a dozen trips and never had a problem. It's true that sometimes you were asked if you want to pay in AU$ but I always decline that option and pay in the local currency.

They now have an online option where you specify what the default currency to use is and you can change this whenever you like. For example I've just returned from a trip to Singapore/Malaysia/Singapore. I loaded the card with Singapore dollars and Australian dollars (no option to store Malaysian Ringgits on the card). I used the Singapore dollars in Singapore but changed the default currency to Australian dollars while in Malaysia so my Singapore dollars weren't used there at all. It worked really well and I will do the same when we go to Europe and Scandinavia in July (6 currencies to allow for - some of which can be pre-loaded and some that can't).

I like the Commbank card because it's linked to my other accounts via Netbank and I can conveniently view the activity and top it up quickly and easily. Saves having to setup and logon to yet another bank just for foreign travel use.

Works for me, anyway.. :smile:

I've used them on half a dozen trips and never had a problem. It's true that sometimes you were asked if you want to pay in AU$ but I always decline that option and pay in the local currency.

They now have an online option where you specify what the default currency to use is and you can change this whenever you like. For example I've just returned from a trip to Singapore/Malaysia/Singapore. I loaded the card with Singapore dollars and Australian dollars (no option to store Malaysian Ringgits on the card). I used the Singapore dollars in Singapore but changed the default currency to Australian dollars while in Malaysia so my Singapore dollars weren't used there at all. It worked really well and I will do the same when we go to Europe and Scandinavia in July (6 currencies to allow for - some of which can be pre-loaded and some that can't).

I like the Commbank card because it's linked to my other accounts via Netbank and I can conveniently view the activity and top it up quickly and easily. Saves having to setup and logon to yet another bank just for foreign travel use.

Works for me, anyway.. :smile:

As I said be aware of atm currency question and of course know how to answer it.

If you are choosing a foreign default currency to spend on another currency then surely you will be paying another conversion/exchange fee? In theses instances would it not be best to load AU$ (conversion fee free) and use them?

Another thing to be aware of with multiple currencies is, if you try to unknowingly overspend on one currency which could be as simple as an atm charge taking you over, it will automatically take the whole amount from one of your other currencies. With me this was happening when ever it felt like doing so regardless of amount and this could not be sorted out until return to Aus and face to face with bank! Another thing is to ensure that you do not overdraw on a currency you have to leave some in, the banks have made millions out of this, though Comm bank has had to repay some providing you apply that is! the bank does not have to find you! Also some cards carry an annual fee if you do not use them for a while and some charge you for closing the cards.

Glad it works out for you though.

It depends what charges your bank makes for foreign transactions. Pre paid cards are good but you need to see which one works best for you. We have a Caxton card, although it is a UK one still linked to our UK account I know you can get an Australian version. Probably cheaper than your bank card and just as secure.

Not sure about negative reviews, not seen any for the card I use.

My in-laws use a Caxton card and have been pleased with how well it works. I was thinking of doing something similar when we go over to the UK, although I had also wondered about transferring some money to OH's UK bank account which we still have open and requesting a debit card to use. I'll have to have a look at the alternatives and see which I think is cheaper, easier to set up and also more secure.

My in-laws use a Caxton card and have been pleased with how well it works. I was thinking of doing something similar when we go over to the UK, although I had also wondered about transferring some money to OH's UK bank account which we still have open and requesting a debit card to use. I'll have to have a look at the alternatives and see which I think is cheaper, easier to set up and also more secure.

Just looked up Caxton card, same as most travel cards really but maybe better exchange rates. I personally would still only go for one of theses types of card with a single currency.