Dual tax returns UK & AUS

sidney

Cost us $750 in Australia & £400 in the UK

That was for two of us, not entirely straight forward as we had rental income & share dividends.

If you only have employment income I would do them yourself.

EDIT: That was $750 for both UK & Australian ditto UK in two different years.

Try hrblock.com.au for your Aussie return, although there are plenty of tax agents. Their fees are tax-deductible.

Bad advice they are unlikely to have people with the requisite UK knowledge and it is much better having the same person doing both - you are not taxed in both countries. I'd recommend @Alan Collett

How much should I be paying for what are straightforward tax returns. Thanks

Nothing. Do them yourself. All you have to do is, when you declare your British income on the Australian tax return, also declare how much British tax you paid.

That's assuming your income is just from employment. If you've got shares, property etc then it can get complicated and you should get an accountant who knows BOTH systems. Most accountants don't. I pay $500 for my tax return.

I do my own UK tax on line but I've got an accountant here in Surry Hills for my ATO return. Maybe I should investigate getting a UK accountant. I'd hate to think I'm missing out on something.

The best thing is to get one accountant to do both. Because you've got to declare your British income on your Aussie tax return, it gets complicated if you have two separate people.

Bad advice they are unlikely to have people with the requisite UK knowledge and it is much better having the same person doing both - you are not taxed in both countries. I'd recommend @Alan Collett

Many thanks for the kind recommendation.

If it's not breaking any forum rules I invite the OP to complete the enquiry form at the GM Tax website: http://www.gmtax.com.au/individuals/

A Happy Easter weekend to all!

I do my own UK tax on line but I've got an accountant here in Surry Hills for my ATO return. Maybe I should investigate getting a UK accountant. I'd hate to think I'm missing out on something.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

[h=1][/h]It does depend on how complicated it is, your visa type and whether you have lived the entire year in one country. I did both my UK & Aus ones myself for the years we were entirely in one country but just to give you on idea, in our first year we had Alan do both our tax returns and because we spent some of the year in both countries and because we were on a 457 visa, we were able to offset our buy to let expenses against our Australian income but the buy to let income against our UK tax free allowance. Together with other maximisation of benefits in both countries we ended up with several $1000 rebate which i had no idea we were entitled to - worth every penny!

On our return I again got an accountant to do them and got an $1800 rebate I wasn't expecting - though did have £400 ish UK to pay due to using an incorrect tax code (though my OH got £200 ish rebate so not all bad)

Do you have income in the UK? Is that why you have to do a UK return?

• 2 months later...
Can someone please briefly explain the protocol for dual tax returns?

Do I need to show met uk tax return to the ATO and vice versa?

No you don't show them the other country's returns - but if you're claiming a tax offset for taxes you've paid in the other country then they do have their own exchange of information system so they can check it.

Archived