Young families priced out of rental markets in UK

JockinTas

There are two issues.

One, yes, the UK (and Australia) needs more housing. Though from what I am seeing, that is happening here, there a entire new towns popping up. Though we could do a lot more and I think we need to find a way of getting private landlords to release property back to the market, which in turn would bring down prices.

But, people also need to take some self responsibility and not "want" so much. For example, we came across a rental just 8 doors down from my brother in law in Richmond at the weekend. Now, it would have been perfect for us. We want to baby sit the kids and spend a lot of time with them - one of the big reasons we made the move. It would also have meant a very easy commute to work for me as I would be going in the opposite direction to the commuters heading into London. But, the rent was astronomical - about £3K a month! Instead, we have accepted a place about half an hour out of London costing a third of that.

Same applies to people working in areas such as Birmingham. Coventry and Leicester and many other places are very cheap to live and have an easy commute in. But, people want the lifestyle of living in the big city.

There are two issues.

One, yes, the UK (and Australia) needs more housing. Though from what I am seeing, that is happening here, there a entire new towns popping up. Though we could do a lot more and I think we need to find a way of getting private landlords to release property back to the market, which in turn would bring down prices.

But, people also need to take some self responsibility and not "want" so much. For example, we came across a rental just 8 doors down from my brother in law in Richmond at the weekend. Now, it would have been perfect for us. We want to baby sit the kids and spend a lot of time with them - one of the big reasons we made the move. It would also have meant a very easy commute to work for me as I would be going in the opposite direction to the commuters heading into London. But, the rent was astronomical - about £3K a month! Instead, we have accepted a place about half an hour out of London costing a third of that.

Same applies to people working in areas such as Birmingham. Coventry and Leicester and many other places are very cheap to live and have an easy commute in. But, people want the lifestyle of living in the big city.

We were in Richmond two years ago with our son who is more Aussie than Pom I wanted to show him where I grew up as a child for 12months while he saw London

Wheh he saw the cost of rentals his eyes popped some flats worked out about £ 1000 a room per month ! Going back to 1954 we lived in Sydney Rd Richmond with my Grandma who rented two floors in the house Wonder what she paid back then I know the house recently sold for over a million

it is an absolutely lovely spot though you will have to stick some overtime in Verystormy lol

I agree with that article. We are a young family with one child and our rent and council tax swallows up one of our incomes, if we both didn't work full time we couldn't live here. In our town as soon as a property comes available to rent its snapped up super quick. The property we live in is pretty terrible, it was originally a detached house but the landlord split the house in two. We have two tiny box bedrooms, stairs that are super steep as they aren't suppose to be there, the bathroom is an extension but is so small the tap has to go over the bath tub. Its a super tiny house but with a big price tag, we are close to Stansted airport. However we used to live in Leeds in Yorkshire and we had a two bedroom flat with bedrooms twice the size of our current ones and was a decent size and only cost £525 a month. Most two bedroom places in my town are £900-£1100.

My friend in Leicester keeps trying to get us to move there as its a lot cheaper, her mortgage is only £300 a month and she says rentals are cheap. (However we do not like living in a city we prefer to be within an hour of a city but not stick right in one).

I agree with that article. We are a young family with one child and our rent and council tax swallows up one of our incomes, if we both didn't work full time we couldn't live here. In our town as soon as a property comes available to rent its snapped up super quick. The property we live in is pretty terrible, it was originally a detached house but the landlord split the house in two. We have two tiny box bedrooms, stairs that are super steep as they aren't suppose to be there, the bathroom is an extension but is so small the tap has to go over the bath tub. Its a super tiny house but with a big price tag, we are close to Stansted airport. However we used to live in Leeds in Yorkshire and we had a two bedroom flat with bedrooms twice the size of our current ones and was a decent size and only cost £525 a month. Most two bedroom places in my town are £900-£1100.

My friend in Leicester keeps trying to get us to move there as its a lot cheaper, her mortgage is only £300 a month and she says rentals are cheap. (However we do not like living in a city we prefer to be within an hour of a city but not stick right in one).

Exactly my point though. You chose to live near London - there are very few jobs now where someone "has" to work in London - a lot of my good friends and my best friend work in IT. All are in senior roles and earn very good money. But none chose to live in London. My best friend lives in a large village / small town in the country in Leicestershire. H bought his 3 bedroom house, brand new for £150k.

I find the rents here in the SE very expensive. But, we have chosen to do it. So, cant really complain. I could have chosen any where else. I think a lot of people head for London and the SE thinking salaries are higher, but without really working out that they may still be worse off than living in other areas

Archived