Buying a house in Brisbane

paisleylass

Congratulations and hope all goes well with the move, just remember you will need to budget for the rates now too! don't want you to get caught out with an unexpected bill.

It is nice to be able to make a house into a home though...........enjoy.

PS I can understand why the estate agent lady is excited..............pay day!

Thanks! Yep rates and higher insurance are in our sights, and initially higher electricity bills until we get solar! All worth it, and woo we get to use the waste transfer vouchers that ratepayers get too!

You're right about RE lady, ha, and it was an easy sell! She said she was still getting calls on the day the listing was altered to say 'under offer' (when we got finance approval), it was a very popular listing.

Gonna be a fun summer!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Count on considerably higher electricity bills even if you do get solar. I get 44c feed in tariff because installed it early. Now it's only 8c. What you can do with solar also depends on pitch of the roof, orientation etc etc. Shop around. My bills are going up pretty steadily, even though I do what I can to keep them as low as possible. e.g. rarely use clothes dryer, don't leave too many things on standby. But quite often in summer, just have to run the air con. And don't forget to get an annual termite inspection/treatment. Termites are everywhere in Brisbane. Given any source of permanent moisture ( e.g. drips from air conditioners, plants that get watered too near the house) they build mud tunnels that can go amazing distances. My parents, in a double brick house, learned this the hard way.

I believe the best value in solar power is running energy-gobbling appliances in daylight hours where practical, thereby using most of the power generated. The less sent to grid, the better! Feed in tariffs are pathetic, I'd be gutted if we fed loads to the grid!

In the next few years powerwalls should come down in price somewhat, making solar even more worth the investment!

I believe the best value in solar power is running energy-gobbling appliances in daylight hours where practical, thereby using most of the power generated. The less sent to grid, the better! Feed in tariffs are pathetic, I'd be gutted if we fed loads to the grid!

In the next few years powerwalls should come down in price somewhat, making solar even more worth the investment!

..........it's often just changing how you do things....

..........washing machine and dishwasher used during the day...

.........shower earlier...pool filter running through the day

..........we have gone from a $700 1/4 bill....

..........to a under $200 a 1/4 and now have ducted cooling/heating system

..........if you make sure you have enough solar panels to cope with the energy you use.....it's well worth it ime...

• 2 weeks later...

So close now, settlement is Tuesday! Eeee!!

And good news - we informed our real estate on Monday that we need to break lease. They were great, did the paperwork and we did an open home yesterday. Someone has already been approved to take the lease, and we effectively save a month's rent, hooray!! So happy!

So, funny question. After settlement, does anyone know when our first mortgage payment should go out? We've set up a monthly direct debit.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Settled on Tuesday without a hitch, moving next Friday! We'll miss our rental in a few ways, but it's not ours! And the new house is a lot more well-finished and has luxury touches we've never had before like a huge spa bath! We'll be like pigs in muck in a few weeks time! Also got an appointment with a guy from a pool heating company, so he can look at the setup and work out what model will give us 28 degrees all year, yay! Next up, solar power going in.

Looks like the first mortgage payment is actually 1 October, which is ages off! Considering we only pay rent til mid August, that puts us in a pretty solvent situation, so we'll probably make a voluntary extra repayment to offet interest charges.

Settled on Tuesday without a hitch, moving next Friday! We'll miss our rental in a few ways, but it's not ours! And the new house is a lot more well-finished and has luxury touches we've never had before like a huge spa bath! We'll be like pigs in muck in a few weeks time! Also got an appointment with a guy from a pool heating company, so he can look at the setup and work out what model will give us 28 degrees all year, yay! Next up, solar power going in.

Looks like the first mortgage payment is actually 1 October, which is ages off! Considering we only pay rent til mid August, that puts us in a pretty solvent situation, so we'll probably make a voluntary extra repayment to offet interest charges.

what I would do is ask the bank to make it fortnightly repayments and rather than have them calculate it just use half your advised monthly repayment amount.

By paying fortnightly you effectively pay 13 months worth in a year and don't really notice and you will save thousands in interest and pay it off quicker.

what I would do is ask the bank to make it fortnightly repayments and rather than have them calculate it just use half your advised monthly repayment amount.

By paying fortnightly you effectively pay 13 months worth in a year and don't really notice and you will save thousands in interest and pay it off quicker.

Further to the good advice above from Parley, if you get paid weekly then pay your mortgage weekly also you could increase the weekly payment by a sum that you would hardly notice of say just $5, it is surprising how much that alone will knock down the mortgage interest.

Just thinking again I suppose you could do the same even if paid monthly, if you initially pay, like you say, the first month in advance and then start the weekly payments straight away.

We have a 100% offset facility so we'll save interest anyway, and the plan is to chuck extra cash at the mortgage whenever we feel like it! We may review payment frequency and amount once everything's more settled and we know better what we can manage. The tentative plan is to pay it off in half of the 30 year term! Or less!!

Moved in today! Fantastic moving firm, Brisbane City Removals, highly recommended!

Now chilling having had a lovely spa bath, bed is made, sipping the champagne Ray White real estate supplied! Feeling super chilled in spite of a horrid cold. And our cat seems happy after a stressful day, we kept him shut in a room at our old place while removals happened, then let him out for a run. He looked soooo shocked to see all the stuff had gone!! Poor kitty.

Anyway, all done, we're here!!