Student or Partner Visa?

EllieJV

Hi, I'm a 19 year old student from the UK. I'm not sure which visa I should go for. Student, or partner?

I will be eligible for the student visa, and it will last me my entire course (3+ years). However, I would like to live in Australia permanently. I have been with my boyfriend who lives in Australia for almost 2 years (we visit each other every summer), and I know that you must be with your partner for 12 months before applying for the visa. I'm unsure if you must live with them during that time though? I've looked into it and can't find exactly what it is. I don't want to spend £3k on the partner visa to just be turned down, when I could get the student visa for just £300.

I'm also aware that I could just apply for the partner visa a year after actually living with him after I move on the student visa. But, it would be nicer to be able to skip a visa, if possible.

Any advice?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whilst living with your partner is not an absolute requirement, it is a normal sign of a mature relationship. The fact that you refer to him as "boyfriend" and visit each summer looks more like dating than being in a relationship that is a marriage in all but name. I would go for the student visa and build evidence of living together before applying for a partner visa a year down the line. Be aware that the processing time for a partner visa would be a year or so, so it'll be a couple of years before you have it. Meanwhile you would have to pay international tuition fees and have work restricted to 40 hours a fortnight.

Whilst living with your partner is not an absolute requirement, it is a normal sign of a mature relationship. The fact that you refer to him as "boyfriend" and visit each summer looks more like dating than being in a relationship that is a marriage in all but name. I would go for the student visa and build evidence of living together before applying for a partner visa a year down the line. Be aware that the processing time for a partner visa would be a year or so, so it'll be a couple of years before you have it. Meanwhile you would have to pay international tuition fees and have work restricted to 40 hours a fortnight.

Good point about the "boyfriend" thing :/

I knew about the international student fees, that's fine. I'm saving that up now. I have another year of a course here, before I could go which would be in time with waiting for the partner visa if I was eligible to do it.

But I'll stick to the student visa then partner after if it makes the chances to get it better. Thanks :)

You would need to prove your relationship is everything but married if you do not live together. E.g joint assets. Its unlikely you will be classed as defacto if you only see each other every summer. I'd recommend either continuing with you student visa or getting a working holiday visa. This will allow you time to grow your relationship and collect evidence such as joint bank accounts, utility bills and leases. You can then progress onto a partner visa.

Working holiday visa, allows you to work in Oz for 1 year (can be extended to 2 if you do rural work)

Ooh, I'm already 3 years behind on education because I changed course so I want to finish education asap. :/ Couldn't just work

You would need to prove your relationship is everything but married if you do not live together. E.g joint assets. Its unlikely you will be classed as defacto if you only see each other every summer. I'd recommend either continuing with you student visa or getting a working holiday visa. This will allow you time to grow your relationship and collect evidence such as joint bank accounts, utility bills and leases. You can then progress onto a partner visa.

Considering I'm likely to get turned down for a partner visa while in the UK, I'll stick to student visa, then partner visa after living together a year. Thanks :)

Hi, I'm a 19 year old student from the UK. I'm not sure which visa I should go for. Student, or partner?

I will be eligible for the student visa, and it will last me my entire course (3+ years). However, I would like to live in Australia permanently. I have been with my boyfriend who lives in Australia for almost 2 years (we visit each other every summer), and I know that you must be with your partner for 12 months before applying for the visa. I'm unsure if you must live with them during that time though? I've looked into it and can't find exactly what it is. I don't want to spend £3k on the partner visa to just be turned down, when I could get the student visa for just £300.

I'm also aware that I could just apply for the partner visa a year after actually living with him after I move on the student visa. But, it would be nicer to be able to skip a visa, if possible.

Any advice?

Just because he lives in Australia doesn't mean he can sponsor you! He has to be an Australian citizen or permanent resident, or an eligible New Zealand citizen.

So finish your education in the UK then go the WHV much cheaper

I also want to move ASAP so I can be with my boyfriend sooner. 2 years with just Skype everyday sucks.

I can afford to go sooner so money isn't an issue. Also, if I do the courses here, I'll be here about 5 years, if I get into uni. If I move there's a guaranteed entry into uni after my 2nd year on the course I want to do (as long as I do well of course). Also the sooner I go, the sooner I can get permanent residence and sponsor my mum to go out. Been thinking about the move for about 10 years, but now she's too old to be the main applicant so I have to. Just lucky my boyfriend lives there to get me there faster rather than 5+ years here first.

Considering I'm likely to get turned down for a partner visa while in the UK, I'll stick to student visa, then partner visa after living together a year. Thanks :)

Bare in mind there are a lot of fees for student and partner visa. Plus additional costs for medicals and police checks. Partner visa is also a lot of money and it's non refundable if you get rejected. Use your years wisely for gathering evidence.

Bare in mind there are a lot of fees for student and partner visa. Plus additional costs for medicals and police checks. Partner visa is also a lot of money and it's non refundable if you get rejected. Use your years wisely for gathering evidence.

My original plan was to save up £300 for the student visa, and £8k for my course. Plus extra for spending until I get a job there. I'll be staying with my boyfriend and family so won't need that much money, just enough for rent and travel at first. While studying, I was going to save up the 3k for the partner visa,a and hope to apply for that soon after a year of living with him, but my student visa covers all my courses, so I have plenty of time to save for that visa. My mum has agreed to save up 10k for my uni, and we've worked out a monthly saving plan from now to when I'd start uni. All looks like it'll work.

My original plan was to save up £300 for the student visa, and £8k for my course. Plus extra for spending until I get a job there. I'll be staying with my boyfriend and family so won't need that much money, just enough for rent and travel at first. While studying, I was going to save up the 3k for the partner visa,a and hope to apply for that soon after a year of living with him, but my student visa covers all my courses, so I have plenty of time to save for that visa. My mum has agreed to save up 10k for my uni, and we've worked out a monthly saving plan from now to when I'd start uni. All looks like it'll work.

Ellie, I'm not sure where you're looking, but international fees for an accountancy course are approx $30,000 per year, so total cost (including resources etc) approx $100,000 or £50,000. £8k won't get you far at all.

see the below link...

http://www.anu.edu.au/files/resource/140429_DSA_ASQO_ISF_v5_FA.pdf

if you are desperate to be over here, come on a WHV, get your permanent partner visa then study here, and you won't then need to pay these fees, you will get local student fees.

Ellie, I'm not sure where you're looking, but international fees for an accountancy course are approx $30,000 per year, so total cost (including resources etc) approx $100,000 or £50,000. £8k won't get you far at all.

see the below link...

if you are desperate to be over here, come on a WHV, get your permanent partner visa then study here, and you won't then need to pay these fees, you will get local student fees.

Diploma here, then

Advanced diploma http://www.tafesa.edu.au/xml/course/in/in_2016TP00726.aspx $16k, £8k

then uni http://programs.unisa.edu.au/public/pcms/Program.aspx?pageid=2943&sid=4957&tid=440&y=2016&int=1 $28k, £14k a year. I'm hoping to be a resident by the second year of uni. If not, I can still pay it because my mum owns 3 houses that we rent out to easily cover it.

see the below link...

Did you also allow for the fact you can only work a maximum of 20 hours per week (to my knowledge) whilst on a student visa?

Did you also allow for the fact you can only work a maximum of 20 hours per week (to my knowledge) whilst on a student visa?

Yeah, that's fine. I do 23 hours a week now, and the pay there is better too. So that's fine.

Yeah, that's fine. I do 23 hours a week now, and the pay there is better too. So that's fine.

Sounds like you've got it worked out, you're in a very fortunate position to have such a supportive mum! Just when you're planning etc.. If you want to ultimately bring your mum over, that is also a very high cost visa, currently about $50,000, yes $50k, plus medicals etc...

Archived