Help moving to Melbourne

Matthand20

Hi, I'll be moving to Melbourne at the back end of the year with my other half and we're trying to start our family,I'm an electrician and I'm looking for an area which is family friendly but affordable on an electricians salary, we'll be renting at first, can anyone help with some places I can look up, thanks.

Matt

well until you get your licence you will only be on Trade Assistant wages so not to near the city. Am not sure about the East but I lived in the West before, theres a lot of new builds in places like Point Cook, Wyndham Vale, Tarneit, etc, maybe not your forever area but affordable to start off in. Not that there is anything wrong with those places just I prefer older areas.

Edited by AJ

Have a look at realestate.com.au in the rentals section, or any of the housing sites. Only you will know what you can afford.

Start near where you will be working and go from there.

Every suburb is family friendly; schools, shops, cafes, doctors, dentist etc etc. Some newer suburbs on the outskirts are not on the rail network if that is important, so check that out too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Closer to beaches = greater costs for rent

We are in the Northern suburbs nearer to the hills and open roads (suits me as a recreational motorcyclist). It's about 45 mins in traffic to St Kilda beach, an hour to Edithvale beach further east. We were regular beach visitors when we first moved to Melbourne. Hardly ever go there now, just occasionally for a coffee, or to take the dog for a walk at the dog beach at St Kilda. We prefer exploring other little towns and settlements around Melbourne and Victoria in general.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Matthew, I recommend you consider Mordialloc and Parkdale - they are by the beach, lovely suburbs, 1 hour by train from the city or 40 mins drive and also close to the freeways for the Mornington Peninsula etc. They are big family areas - kids everywhere, also becoming trendy cafe areas too.

Have a look and see what you think.

BB

Is there anyway you would recommend that is closer to beaches/coast, I don't mind being a little further away from the city at all, thanks in advance

Everyone in Australia wants to live near the beaches - in every city in every state, those are the most expensive suburbs. The reality is that most Australians can't afford the beachfront lifestyle - in Sydney or Melbourne, the average Aussie lives an hour's drive from the nearest beach. As you'll be starting out on low wages, it's unrealistic to expect otherwise right now - if you do well in future years, it's something you can aspire to.

Edited by Marisawright

People turn up their noses when Frankston is mentioned but it is really a great place to live. Rents are cheap, it has the best beaches in Melbourne and a new $50 million aquatic centre. I have a house in Frankston which I rent out occasionally. It's an ugly old house but it's clean and comfortable. It's in a prime position being just a few steps away from all the shops and food outlets you need and just a couple of minutes to the beach by car. I may be able to set you up with some very cheap temporary accommodation.