Rabies Vac Question

Mrandmrsh

Is the rabies vaccination a one time vaccination?

If not when would a booster need to be done.

If we needed to go back to England in a hurry we'd like to take our dog with us.

Is it best to get him vaccinated anyway just incase?

Also what is the average cost of the vaccination?

Its a one off if you are heading to the UK. If you want to take your dog out of the UK again you'd need to get it up to date again.

I'd get him vaccinated anyways, but ask your vet costs and timeframes and read up on the importing of dogs from Aus to the UK and how far in advance it actually needs to be done.

The UK Gov website has the info https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/overview

We are going back very quickly and taking our little fella.

We we are using dogtainers who have been excellent.

It is a requirement that you use a company to arrange it all for you. You need three weeks from the rabies jab to when they can fly. I leave this weekend and my wife leaves next weeks as the dog can't fly till Thursday.

Thank you for the replies.

He hasn't been vaccinated for rabies and we have no plans to go back to England yet.

I was thinking that if something happened back home in England, that we needed to go at short notice we would like to take him with us.

So if it is a one time vaccination then we could get him vaccinated anyway.

If however we got him vaccinated and had no need to fly back for say, 3 years, would we need to get a booster? or have blood test?

Thank you for the replies.

He hasn't been vaccinated for rabies and we have no plans to go back to England yet.

I was thinking that if something happened back home in England, that we needed to go at short notice we would like to take him with us.

So if it is a one time vaccination then we could get him vaccinated anyway.

If however we got him vaccinated and had no need to fly back for say, 3 years, would we need to get a booster? or have blood test?

I would give dogtainers a call. They are very helpful.

However, be aware the paperwork can take a couple of weeks at least in order to get him booked on.

Also, if you were only going back for an emergency visit, I am not sure it would be practical. First, it would be incredibly expensive. The airlines charge by size of crate. Our little fella is tiny, so fits in the smallest crate. That is costing $2800. Then you would need to pay the same to come back. Plus quarantine in Australia.