Advice re commuting to Brisbane from Caloundra/pelican waters

Robren

Hi we are looking at moving from Adelaide to Sunshine Coast and trying to work out how close to Noosa we can live and still commute to Brisbane cbd without too much travelling. I know how long the distance calculator says the journey from Caloundra is but does anyone do this journey on a regular basis? How long does it actually take, what mode of transport is best and how do you find doing this journey on a regular basis? Thanks in advance for your help

rob

You would be looking at 1.5 to 2 hours each way driving and that's on good days. Train is 1.5hrs approx. and you would still have to drive to/from a station and waiting time for train. So unless you do not mind the 20hrs a week travelling then I would look at living closer to CBD and travel to coast on weekends. Also remember it gets dark here early so you would have little time if any after commuting to enjoy the coast on evenings.

I posted on another thread about the "Wanted Down Under" program bringing families out, looking at work in Brisbane but showing them houses on the Sunshine Coast.

It's below - you'll see that the majority of people thought it was an unrealistic commute. The only reason WDU does it, I'm sure, is that if they showed the families equivalent houses in Brisbane, they wouldn't be able to afford them.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/chewing-fat/244053-do-people-commute-sunshine-coast-brisbane.html

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated. will keep looking for a better compromise until I win the lottery.:wink:. Trying to change jobs to get away from shift work to free up evenings and weekends with family so no point spending it sat in the car. Might have to look for somewhere between Gold Coast and Brisbane.

Edited by Robren

But if you are between the gold coast and Brisbane you will still have to drive to the beach anyway? I wouldn't recommend anywhere below the gateway & Pacific motorway merging point unless you really do like sitting in your car...

Hi we are looking at moving from Adelaide to Sunshine Coast and trying to work out how close to Noosa we can live and still commute to Brisbane cbd without too much travelling. I know how long the distance calculator says the journey from Caloundra is but does anyone do this journey on a regular basis? How long does it actually take, what mode of transport is best and how do you find doing this journey on a regular basis? Thanks in advance for your help

rob

As others have said, the commute would hurt you in the long run. See if there is another way. Could you work from home a couple of days a week? Could you get work on the Sunshine Coast? If you have to work in Brisbane CBD then it makes sense to live near there and travel to the beach on the weekends. In reality though, you would have to be pretty dedicated to travel to the beach every weekend. I tend to think that if you want to live near the beach then live near the beach and try to fit your work situation around that.

I posted on another thread about the "Wanted Down Under" program bringing families out, looking at work in Brisbane but showing them houses on the Sunshine Coast.

It's below - you'll see that the majority of people thought it was an unrealistic commute. The only reason WDU does it, I'm sure, is that if they showed the families equivalent houses in Brisbane, they wouldn't be able to afford them.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/chewing-fat/244053-do-people-commute-sunshine-coast-brisbane.html

It could be because that is where people dreaming of beaches mention they would like to go maybe ?...many suburbs in Brisbane wouldn't be that much different in price to SC really if by equivalent you just mean the standard of house.