Teaching reg and visa

Emily3850

Hi all

I have two questions which I would like advice on

firstly has anyone had there teaching registration rejected? I have been teaching on the uk for 3 years and have my pgce. I have submitted the correct paper work and it has now been rejected on I haven't done enough teaching hours to meet the requirements (my course required 28 days and they want 45). How can I correct this?

secondly I am on a working visa and want to apply for a more permanent visa what do people suggest? It won't be on a sponsorship as my teaching experience is clearly now no use!

thanks for help??

If you did not have 45 days of supervised teaching during your education degree then it matters not how many years experience you have teaching you are not considered qualified for Australian education. This is very common for degrees from India..none of their degrees count. If you wish to teach in Australia you will need to do another degree with an addition 20 days supervised teaching to be eligible for immigration. Unfortunately this is a non starter.

Hi all

firstly has anyone had there teaching registration rejected? I have been teaching on the uk for 3 years and have my pgce. I have submitted the correct paper work and it has now been rejected on I haven't done enough teaching hours to meet the requirements (my course required 28 days and they want 45). How can I correct this?

secondly I am on a working visa and want to apply for a more permanent visa what do people suggest? It won't be on a sponsorship as my teaching experience is clearly now no use!

thanks for help

You do have a problem there, twenty eight days of supervised teaching whilst a student is a very short time.

Australia requires all Australian trained teachers to have an absolute minimum of forty five days (most have more), so as a an overseas trained teacher applicant, you have little chance of this succeeding.

As for a permanent visa, it depends if your qualifications and skills fit any other areas of need.

If you can afford it you could requalify here. If you do a 1 year post graduate teaching degree it will incorporate the teaching practise and you will be OK. Otherwise, you could study the same degree by distance but will need to return to Australia for the teaching placements - and there will be up to 3 of those.

Of course this means international university fees which are steep. You will need to be sure that you will get a job after all that effort so you will also need to research the number of jobs in your subject area. If you are a primary teacher it may not be worth it at all.....

Good luck - I'm sure it is very frustrating for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hope you don't mind us egging in on your thread but our questions are under the same topic....

We are very confused by the whole process of trying to register/ if there is a need to register as a teacher in Australia.

We are applying for skilled independent visa under my skill (midwife) and my husband is a further education teacher in music has just begun to look for work pending our arrival in oz hopefully later this year. His PGCE was 150 hours supervised teaching (although he actually completed a lot more, but this is not directly written on his transcript). We hope to live in Northern NSW or southern Queensland finding work dependant.

What does he have to do to be able to teach? Step by step if possible please as its rather confusing due to different states having different rules, also (and obviously) he doesn't need to have a skills assessment for visa purposes as he will have a defacto visa from my skill. Some threads imply that no assessment of qualifications are needed and this thread implies that he couldn't work at all! He is QTLS certified and has 5 years teaching experience.

really appreciate your replies

xx

Hope you don't mind us egging in on your thread but our questions are under the same topic....

We are very confused by the whole process of trying to register/ if there is a need to register as a teacher in Australia.

We are applying for skilled independent visa under my skill (midwife) and my husband is a further education teacher in music has just begun to look for work pending our arrival in oz hopefully later this year. His PGCE was 150 hours supervised teaching (although he actually completed a lot more, but this is not directly written on his transcript). We hope to live in Northern NSW or southern Queensland finding work dependant.

What does he have to do to be able to teach? Step by step if possible please as its rather confusing due to different states having different rules, also (and obviously) he doesn't need to have a skills assessment for visa purposes as he will have a defacto visa from my skill. Some threads imply that no assessment of qualifications are needed and this thread implies that he couldn't work at all! He is QTLS certified and has 5 years teaching experience.

xx

For NSW he will have to register with BOSTES which the majority can be done online. Then he will need to post off certified copies of his certificates and transcripts to them and get a working with children check. The website says that there's a 10 working day turn around (last time I checked).

Then you get accreditation to teach. They can tell you to then do X courses or X amount of hours in courses relating to Australian curriculum and pedagogy etc. You have 12 months to do those and you only have to pay your yearly registration fee once you receive accreditation. There's no application fee.

Sounds more complicated than it actually is. Also I'd recommend looking at the Jobs NSW teaching page and sign up to the monthly newsletter as they send out vacancies (casual and perm)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also if he's looking at TAFE teaching he'll need an assement IV qualification but this can be done by distance learning before you go. Have a look around though because I found the course for $2000 and then found it through another provider for $700.

From my understanding if you're not claiming point for him he won't need an assessment. If you're going for a perm res visa then he too will get perm res so he could apply for bostes and do that course and he should be absolutely fine. The only problem would be lack of local experience as far as I see...good luck!

xx

If he plans to teach TAFE -young adults etc he is fine.

If he wants to teach music in high school up to age 18, then he will need four years of university education to be eligible.

Also if he's looking at TAFE teaching he'll need an assement IV qualification but this can be done by distance learning before you go. Have a look around though because I found the course for $2000 and then found it through another provider for $700.

From my understanding if you're not claiming point for him he won't need an assessment. If you're going for a perm res visa then he too will get perm res so he could apply for bostes and do that course and he should be absolutely fine. The only problem would be lack of local experience as far as I see...good luck!

Is the assessment IV the equivalent of or in addition to a PGCE in post compulsory? thats one heck of a price difference between courses..!

I think I'm getting confused between the BOSTES, the 'assessment' and the IV assessment... what is th difference?

We are not needing any of his points for the visa. the only spanner we have come up against so far is that his transcript states he's only done 150 hours supervised practice, but he is able to get as statement fro his tutor (who thankfully is still working at the colleague he completed his PGCE at) which will state that the he completed nearly 400 hours of supervised teaching...

It would be good if he can teach in both a TAFE and in high school for the sake of a wider spectrum of job opportunities as i imagine that TAFE jobs are hard to coe by, especially when your fresh off the plane.

thank you all

xx

The cert IV is in addition. It is a specific qualification to teach over 18 s that is not covered in courses that centre on primary or high school students. If you teach adults in the workplace, TAFE courses you need this qualification. Some universities require this or a Grad Cert in Higher Education to teach in universities now.

Is the assessment IV the equivalent of or in addition to a PGCE in post compulsory? thats one heck of a price difference between courses..!

I think I'm getting confused between the BOSTES, the 'assessment' and the IV assessment... what is th difference?

We are not needing any of his points for the visa. the only spanner we have come up against so far is that his transcript states he's only done 150 hours supervised practice, but he is able to get as statement fro his tutor (who thankfully is still working at the colleague he completed his PGCE at) which will state that the he completed nearly 400 hours of supervised teaching...

It would be good if he can teach in both a TAFE and in high school for the sake of a wider spectrum of job opportunities as i imagine that TAFE jobs are hard to coe by, especially when your fresh off the plane.

thank you all

xx

Assessment is assessment for migration of he's not claiming points he won't need this.

BOSTES is registration to teach in NSW. Personally I'd apply and see what they say, worst they can say is no and it'll only cost for the working with children check unless it's successful so there's nothing to lose and then he'd be able to teach in high school.

He'd need certified copies of his certificates and transcripts for this but when you get to Aus there are JP services that would do this for free if you take the originals and copies.

The assessment IV is a qualification (can be done in about 3 months through distance learning) which you have to have to teach at TAFE (post 18) would you like the link for the course?

Hi all

thanks for help

Consult a registered migration agent.

Consult a registered migration agent.

Consulting a migration agent will make no difference with the 45 days supervised teaching whilst a student requirement - it is set in stone.

All Australian graduates need at least 45 days minimum as well.

Hi all

thanks for help

Hi I am in the same predicament as I have a 3 and not 4 year degree. However, how can you only have done 28 days? A full year PGCE is at least 12 weeks of teaching practise isn't it (this is 60 days - 12 days of PPA time etc)? This would be 48 days. I did at least 50 days and was still rejected as they simply looked at the number of years of my BA (Hons) degree! Have you managed to get sorted?

Hi I am in the same predicament as I have a 3 and not 4 year degree. However, how can you only have done 28 days? A full year PGCE is at least 12 weeks of teaching practise isn't it (this is 60 days - 12 days of PPA time etc)? This would be 48 days. I did at least 50 days and was still rejected as they simply looked at the number of years of my BA (Hons) degree! Have you managed to get sorted?

That's odd - I only have a 3 year degree but a PGCE too and have been granted. Yes I have an MA but I thought a 4 year degree could include the 1 year PGCE???

That's odd - I only have a 3 year degree but a PGCE too and have been granted. Yes I have an MA but I thought a 4 year degree could include the 1 year PGCE???

A PGCE that is undertaken through a university is counted as a fourth year of tertiary education, so yes, it can.

If your PGCE is university based, it is counted as the fourth year of tertiary education.

having sought advice from our agent they have told us that;

For Tom's employment, he will need teacher registration in order to work as a teacher in NSW. Please see the below link for information about how to apply for this:

http://www.nswteachers.nsw.edu.au/future-returning-teachers/overseas-teachers/

Based on Tom's qualifications (3 year BA and 1 year PGCE in FE), he should be awarded provisional registration and then works toward proficient teacher accreditation. He'll need to do 10 hours' refresher courses in the first year.

He shouldn't need to do a skills assessment. ( as we don't need the points)

again if i get any other info i'll share it here.

Visa application now submitted! eek! We are going to wait until we are certain we want to settle in NSW before we move ahead with his teaching registration as its a rather expensive process...

Yes but you did a 3 year degree then a PGCE. I only did a 3 year BA in education with QTS. You are fine.

Archived