Does being born in the UK make you British?

Thom

Stupid question you may think.

My wife was born in Cardiff, to a Kiwi and an Aussie, who were working there at the time. Although she is an Aussie citizen, she has a British birth certificate.

Can she apply for British citizenship?

If she has a British Birth Cert then she must already be a Citizen, I'd have though surely?

Depends on when she was born, both her parents were foreign so by today's rules they would not be british, birth certificate or not

in the past I'm not sure

If born prior to 1st January 1983 then if born in the uk regardless of parents status they would be a uk citizen. After this date unlikely unless 1 parent is British.

prior to 1983 regardless of parents nationality so long as they were in the UK legally at the time (could be on holiday for example)

otherwise you could arrive from any part of the world in a boat push it out on the beach and get your child british citizenship that would have been crazy.

My wife gets lots of this being a social worker. children born to illegal immigrants in the 1980s. The interesting thing is that if you cover it up for long enough (10+ years) the children are often given uk citizenship because it would be inhumane to deport them when the uk is all they have ever known. I can see the reasoning for this its not the childs fault. The mother was deported once the children got to the point they were no longer dependent. What a mess!!

Thanks for your thoughts guys and gals!

[h=1]Check if you're a British citizen[/h]

Start again

1. [h=3]1When were you born?[/h]Before 1 January 1983
    Change this answer

2. [h=3]2Were you born in the UK or a qualifying territory?[/h]Yes
    Change this answer

[h=2]In most cases you’re a British citizen[/h]

There are only 2 cases when you won’t be a British citizen:

• your father was a diplomat working for a non-UK country
  • your father was ‘an enemy alien in occupation’ - this only applies to people born in the Channel Islands during World War 2

Archived