Moving to Melbourne from Sydney...where to live??

Ben1979

Hi everyone, me my wife & our nearly 3 year old girl are moving from Sydney to Melbourne mid march due to my work requirements.

I will be working in Campbellfield & was wondering if anyone could advise on best suburbs to live. We currently live in Camden area in Sydney which we like due to its semi rural kind of setting but still has good facilities & a still within decent commute to the cbd or beaches etc (depending on traffic of course).

I have been doing a bit of research & so far I understand the eastern suburbs are more expensive & are considered the better suburbs to live by some of the things ive read, however I have no experience so really don't know?

We will be renting at first & have a budget of $550 a week, $600 max. Most of the houses in the east seem to be very old compared to where we live now.

We have looked at Point Cook which looks more like the kind of housing we have now ie new build but it seems very cheap so wondering if there is a reason why?

Im not bothered about being really close to the city but still would like to be near some good amenities for my wife as she won't be working.

I mentioned Point Cook to a couple of people at work & they didn't seemed to think it was a good area? although our research on it seemed to tick our boxes & it's close to the water & not too far to my work (google maps reckons 45mins max)

Anyway I would like some advice from current poms living in Melbourne please ?

Guest The Pom Queen

There is a lot of East/West divide snobbery. There is nothing wrong with Point Cook (apart from it being in the West :tongue: ) have you looked at Doreen, it use to be all fields but I'm told it's now new housing estates. http://www.realestate.com.au/rent/in-doreen%2c+vic+3754%3b+/list-1?source=location-search

If you want to be near the coast look at Williamstown, although property can be expensive.

I would be looking at places which will give you a good commute to work. Traffic can be very heavy in peak around Point Cook and the Western Ring Road is very busy. Perhaps look at Bundoora, Mernda, Dallas or north of Campbellfield. You may get a better commute to work from these suburbs. Unfortunately beach being close and where you are going to be working is not a possibility after all you want some time at home.

Melbourne rental prices are a lot cheaper than Sydney so don't be put off by price. In my opinion the best outer suburbs are Eltham and surrounds in the North East because it's green and hilly and Mordialloc and surrounds in the South East because it's bayside and upmarket. Outer North and outer West are to be avoided. I've lived in both. Miles and miles of soulless lego houses as I call them. Any suburb circling the City is nice but expensive (to be expected) Point Cook is fine but all new builds. Good luck. Melbourne is a great place to live even though I've come down to Geelong now.

Perhaps start in Point Cook for a year or two? Discover the city and then move again if needed?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, we are staying in serviced apartments in Ivanhoe which seems a really nice area. We are currently looking at some properties around this area. Just wondering if anyone has experience of living in this area & what the journey to & from Campbellfield would be like?

had a look in Mernda, South Morang etc but maybe a bit far out from the city. Have not checked out point cook yet or some inner west suburbs yet. What is Coburg & Pascoe Vale like as the rents seem reasonable for those areas? Thanks

Ivanhoe is nice. We're in Watsonia, not too far away. My wife works in a nice wee cafe in Ivanhoe. We love living in this area, it's got everything you would expect to find in any Metropolitan area , yet the hills and open roads are only a short distance away. A trip to the beach isn't much hassle either.

Shouldn't be too bad a journey to Campbellfield from Ivanhoe if you are driving. Just out to the ring road and then jump off near Campbellfield. The journey from other burbs which might involve travelling on the main arterials in rush hour will make for a pretty drab journey! I travel by car to the other side of the city each day from Watsonia, and I never seem to get stuck in a jam anywhere, but I hear almost every day of major problems in other areas; ie West Gate Br coming from Pt Cook area has been in the news a lot lately.

If it's public transport that you need them grab the PTV smartphone app. It's always up to date with service interruptions.

Mernda and South Morang aren't on the rail network yet, but it's been talked about for eve!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Suzukiscottie

You would not want to drive on the ring road at peak hour. For a good commute to work, consider Greenvale or Mernda - although both lack connectivity to the city centre. You could try somewhere on the Craigieburn line if connectivity matters.

Just to correct an earlier point, South Morang does have a station; Mernda will in the future but doesn't right now.