Demerit points on a UK license

thelaurakate

Guest The Pom Queen

I don't think they are on your UK license as such, but yes they remain on file so if you do apply for a local license the points would be transferred straight away. If you were on a temp visa you could have got away with not taking out an Australian License just yet, although most places ask for it as a form of ID

You can get away with it, but only if you do not have a "driver record" with RMS (basically, if you don't have a car registered in your name)

If you have a driver record then whilst the points won't go on your UK licence, they will go on your driver record and when you get a NSW licence they transfer them over

If you don't have a driver record then they just get lost

I know this for a fact because my wife picked up 4 points for 3 offences in the first six months driving cars registered to my driver record; 2 x 1 point speeding offences, which I just paid because I couldn't be a45ed with a stat dec to say it wasn't me. Money all comes from the same place anyway. And 1 x 2 point "no right turn" offence, which I did do a stat dec for because I was annoyed with her, so made her "take" them

Time comes to get NSW licences, I cop for the 2 points that are on my driver record, and hers is spotless. Which is annoying in a really minor way

If you don't want to cop for points, don't get a car rego in your name and you'll be clear

• 6 months later...

Hey just after some advice, i have just returned from visit back home to letter from QLD transport and main roads saying that as they have no record of me holding a drivers license and as i have 4 points in 6 months (just) that i am ineligible to hold a Qld drivers license for 3 months. I am just wondering what the go is here with points etc? I was under the impression that when driving on a UK license these points were not valid if only on temporary visa? I have been driving over 11 years now so assume i would qualify for opens license, but its all quite confusing. PLEASE HELP, seriously stressing out about it as need to drive for work.

Thanks

Lenice

You can get away with it, but only if you do not have a "driver record" with RMS (basically, if you don't have a car registered in your name)

If you have a driver record then whilst the points won't go on your UK licence, they will go on your driver record and when you get a NSW licence they transfer them over

If you don't have a driver record then they just get lost

I know this for a fact because my wife picked up 4 points for 3 offences in the first six months driving cars registered to my driver record; 2 x 1 point speeding offences, which I just paid because I couldn't be a45ed with a stat dec to say it wasn't me. Money all comes from the same place anyway. And 1 x 2 point "no right turn" offence, which I did do a stat dec for because I was annoyed with her, so made her "take" them

Time comes to get NSW licences, I cop for the 2 points that are on my driver record, and hers is spotless. Which is annoying in a really minor way

If you don't want to cop for points, don't get a car rego in your name and you'll be clear

Hey just after some advice, i have just returned from visit back home to letter from QLD transport and main roads saying that as they have no record of me holding a drivers license and as i have 4 points in 6 months (just) that i am ineligible to hold a Qld drivers license for 3 months. I am just wondering what the go is here with points etc? I was under the impression that when driving on a UK license these points were not valid if only on temporary visa? I have been driving over 11 years now so assume i would qualify for opens license, but its all quite confusing. PLEASE HELP, seriously stressing out about it as need to drive for work.

Thanks

Lenice

It seems quite clear -- by accruing too many points, Queensland Government have suspended your right to drive on a foreign license:

[h=1]Driving in Queensland on an interstate or overseas licence[/h]You can’t drive in Queensland if:

• accumulated too many demerit points on your traffic history

http://www.qld.gov.au/transport/licensing/driver-licensing/overseas/driving/

Thanks

Lenice

Stop committing traffic offences then and you will have nothing to stress about!

Thanks

Lenice

What is not clear and why would you think the road rules don't apply to you? I guess you need to take an extended break or look into bus routes. When you are allowed to drive again perhaps you could do everyone a favour and drive more carefully.

• 4 weeks later...

My daughter who has PR has a a car redgistered in her name , her boyfriend from Uk on a working holiday visa incurred 3 speeding fines in under 3 months on his Uk licence under her rego ( stat decs applied for for each offence ) and is now banned for 3 months and rightly so. We did warn him of the speed restrictions but he exceeded them on the same stretch of road and accumulated them within 3 weeks of arrival in Oz . He has a clean Uk licence ,my daughter has a clean Australian licence , her boyfriend has 3 fines to pay and can no longer drive in Australia for 3 months . He now has truly reflected on the consequences of this and deems himself lucky that it was only fines he got and not an accident that he could have caused . Many people in Australia refer to the saying ' flash for cash ' i.e police speed radar guns to get revenue for cars speeding . Don't speed stick to the limit and follow the road rules and regulations and your not part of that revenue , how simple can it be

• 2 years later...

Hi there, 

First time posting on this site. Just wanted to get some clarification. I'm in NSW, I drove my flat mates car and got picked up by a speed camera in a tunnel. This is outside of the three month bracket stated on the UK Gov website, stating: "If you intend to stay in Australia and you hold a permanent visa, you can drive using your UK licence for a maximum of 3 months. To continue driving, you must get a local licence within this 3 month period.” 

My house mate can't take the points for me otherwise it will take them over the limit, it's also not their responsibility. Referring to northshorepom comment on not having an RMS or a driving record what does this mean, will my points get lost in the system? Because they will be transferring the points to me, and I currently am not registered, what should I do? 

How far over the 3 months are you ? If it isn't much ,you could try saying you didn't realise, but i don't know if it would work.

Your flat mate will have to say who was driving so they will get in touch with you. You could be charged with driving unlicensed but hopefully if your not far past the 3 mth mark they may show some leniency, tell you to convert your overseas licence then fine you and give you the points.

Cal x