Moving back home

Stuart Mcsporran

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A little harsh there HH! I think there are many prepared to work hard but maybe just a little foolish and/or naïve on how they manage their hard earned cash. I have no real problem with how people spend their money but those that spend it on gadgets and the like cannot complain that they can then not afford other lets say needy things.

Credit is also all too easy to get these days and it appears the days of saving for something is long gone and then money goes on paying off not only the debts but the interest when if thought about the interest could actually be your savings.

Not in the interest of financial institutions to encourage saving. Consumption being long the only game in town. My view encourage self sufficiently, not through over priced Ponzi housing, that may well collapse like a pack of cards, but pay people to save with a decent interest rate, return to the days when bank interest was not taxed and break away from the banking, real estate, insurance stranglehold on the economy. Give people their freedom back.

Where did you buy Booma if you don't mind me asking?

It's just that I challenge anyone in the next 8-10 years on an average wage to be able to save for a mortgage in Sydney and less so Melbourne Darwin and Perth. And if you're just finishing Uni with a debt because you were a big girl or boy and paid for it all yourself, you can extend that outlook at least 4 years assuming you land a good job to consistently service that debt. So that begs the question: why try to service such a debt from a high cost centre? Answer: because that's where the jobs are. And few people with half a decade's worth of study debt will easily find themselves marriage material. But then men and women are drastically changing their expectations about life and romance. Debt is almost the companion in everyone's lives. And I know we've been educated to be passive, compliant and politically correct, but what gives?

(Majority of post not directed at you..)

i live in south nsw. lovely beach lifestyle with very affordable houses. we couldnt afford sydney but we couldnt afford london either. have met lots of happy migrants here :)

Well most people need a mobile phone for work (and possibly a laptop too) so that is a tax deduction (much like your investment properties). But both combined you can buy for less than 1grand.

I suspect a lot of much younger adults opt for the phone and communication device as an alternative to the car or what have you from yesteryear as their preferred status symbol and device for connecting with one another. A lot of people can travel to see each other on the couch!

You can also buy them for less but quite a few will want even better and renew/upgrade regularly along with plans. Also why would most people need their own phone and laptop for work?

depending on what you do there is plenty of work but some people would rather go back than move to the work. my hubby offered permanent work on good money in nsw to a brit in wa moaning on here they couldnt get work but they turned it down. there choice. but them saying they couldnt get any work at all is rubbish. they just couldnt get it without moving.

Not like moving down the road though in UK, is it? It's a major and expensive tactical operation to move across Australia, to a job that may or may not work out.

Not like moving down the road though in UK, is it? It's a major and expensive tactical operation to move across Australia, to a job that may or may not work out.

a lot closer than moving back to the uk though. there choice. just pointing out people say a lot of stuff on here that isnt always the full truth.

depending on what you do there is plenty of work but some people would rather go back than move to the work. my hubby offered permanent work on good money in nsw to a brit in wa moaning on here they couldnt get work but they turned it down. there choice. but them saying they couldnt get any work at all is rubbish. they just couldnt get it without moving.

Agree - you should be prepared to move to where there is work. Not so easy when you have children but needs must.

You can also buy them for less but quite a few will want even better and renew/upgrade regularly along with plans. Also why would most people need their own phone and laptop for work?

Well some will be contractors or away from the office for large periods of the day where contactability is vital to secure work. Customers don't always want to leave messages. And if they are salespeople or the like working for a company - their phones and respective plans will be paid for by employer so not really a problem. I have a mobile because I am sometimes on call. It cost 90 bucks. As for laptops - I regularly see people using them to perform spreadsheet calculations or designing presentations (ancillary work that can or is expected to be performed in own time) on the train home on those long commutes. Being able to connect online in an instant is an unfortunate part of many people's daily work lives.

Well some will be contractors or away from the office for large periods of the day where contactability is vital to secure work. Customers don't always want to leave messages. And if they are salespeople or the like working for a company - their phones and respective plans will be paid for by employer so not really a problem. I have a mobile because I am sometimes on call. It cost 90 bucks. As for laptops - I regularly see people using them to perform spreadsheet calculations or designing presentations (ancillary work that can or is expected to be performed in own time) on the train home on those long commutes. Being able to connect online in an instant is an unfortunate part of many people's daily work lives.

Business owners and self employed yes but most people are not therefor do not need either for work, they may want to have them but do not need to have them (for work) as for the people you see on the train have you asked them if they are personal or work provided laptops/phones?

Well if they're personal and they are performing work related tasks I have no doubt in my mind that there's some recompensement in some kind for the proportion of use dedicated to work. Same with mobiles. And if provided for by employer I'm sure the cost to them is negligible. Further to this - If someone is performing tedious work tasks on a laptop on their way home - I would assume it's because it's necessary for work and not entirely by choice, so justifiable in any case. Though at this point it feels like we're splitting hairs.

Well if they're personal and they are performing work related tasks I have no doubt in my mind that there's some recompensement in some kind for the proportion of use dedicated to work. Same with mobiles. And if provided for by employer I'm sure the cost to them is negligible. Further to this - If someone is performing tedious work tasks on a laptop on their way home - I would assume it's because it's necessary for work and not entirely by choice, so justifiable in any case. Though at this point it feels like we're splitting hairs.

If they are getting recompensed then the cost is not an issue which is what this particular subject has been about........people spending money on unnecessary things.

Wow dude. You stated that you didn't see the sense in people spending wasteful sums on gadgets like mobiles and laptops if they want to "get ahead". I went on to argue that I thought those sums weren't always as prohibitive as you think and that in any case the uses of these "gadgets" by young people only replace other sometimes bigger gadgets like cars which young people have always used to connect or communicate or to impress one another. For the rest of us who buy these particular gadgets, many need them for work so it makes no sense saying we are wasting our money on them. And in any case they are cost effective if tax deductions and work compensation or productivity gains are assessed.

Boom and Bust is not an Australian phenomenon flag and house prices were out of my reach for many years and that was more than twenty years ago. I am secure at the moment and I am prepared for some difficult times if they come, well at least I can lessen the shock, I do not think I am alone on this either.

Well the system will feel the impact of difficult times greatly. Far too much wrapped up in unproductive real estate. Of course many could ride out a 30% or 40% real estate correction. Many others would be unable. The impact would be dramatic though.

I was here twenty years ago and it was a different ball game. Of course interest rates were higher by a considerable sum, hence credit wasn't a giveaway where close on any turkey could leverage themselves to the hilt, as in the recent several years with the expectation of constant house price inflation and make money from nothing by doing nothing. Real estate was a sensible investment over a course of time, not a proposed livelihood in itself.

a lot closer than moving back to the uk though. there choice. just pointing out people say a lot of stuff on here that isnt always the full truth.

Yes but into another unknown just the same. Darn expensive to move within Australia on spec that a job may or may not work out. Could be perception rather than a untruth. Well fancy a forum consisting of people not telling the truth. Hardly different to real life then, is it?

Wow dude. You stated that you didn't see the sense in people spending wasteful sums on gadgets like mobiles and laptops if they want to "get ahead". I went on to argue that I thought those sums weren't always as prohibitive as you think and that in any case the uses of these "gadgets" by young people only replace other sometimes bigger gadgets like cars which young people have always used to connect or communicate or to impress one another. For the rest of us who buy these particular gadgets, many need them for work so it makes no sense saying we are wasting our money on them. And in any case they are cost effective if tax deductions and work compensation or productivity gains are assessed.

Whilst I know that this will not apply to you or anyone else on PIO it should be noted that there is a whole industry out there devoted to providing credit for purchases. Often these are wholly discretionary items like large TVs, home cinema systems, cars, new furniture etc. On that basis there are people out there buying these items who really cannot afford them.

I'm afraid I know have known plenty of people who max their credit cards, have loans, plead poverty etc but their homes look like the pages of some glossy style magazine and they drive an expensive car.

This was something simply unheard of in previous generations. The challenge for the younger generations is to somehow sidestep these temptations, live within their means and then they too may come out with a comfortable retirement one day.

Many of the baby boomers you rail against went without when they were younger and so are reaping the rewards now as long as they still have their health. I have no problem with people who have a 'live for today' attitude so long as they accept the 'pay tomorrow' consequence of their decisions.

Yes but that's not the whole of the story. And higher purchase is something only the very few, very financially illiterate people succumb to.. and not the reason several generations are ten or fifteen years behind the eight ball.

If you're looking after your loved ones with whatever privilege you enjoy, then I have no qualms. But this "I'm the only one who worked hard so deserve my five bedroom villa with open swimming pool and three car lifestyle" while watching others struggle immeasurably is un-patriotic. It's greedy and it's not the legacy our grandfather's left us. Rampant consumerism is with us but it's also very sorely clouding our judgment. I imagine I might be able to go without a new tv but I also know of older folk who don't need to buy their 5th or 6th house.

Yes but that's not the whole of the story. And higher purchase is something only the very few, very financially illiterate people succumb to.. and not the reason several generations are ten or fifteen years behind the eight ball.

If you're looking after your loved ones with whatever privilege you enjoy, then I have no qualms. But this "I'm the only one who worked hard so deserve my five bedroom villa with open swimming pool and three car lifestyle" while watching others struggle immeasurably is un-patriotic. It's greedy and it's not the legacy our grandfather's left us. Rampant consumerism is with us but it's also very sorely clouding our judgment. I imagine I might be able to go without a new tv but I also know of older folk who don't need to buy their 5th or 6th house.

If you believe that then I'm afraid you must live a very sheltered life indeed. Include max'd out credit cards with hp and bank loans.

I have but one house, no swimming pool (out of choice). I know there are people with multiple houses but you I know none of them personally.

Un-patriotic is a strange choice of word but I otherwise have some sympathy with what you are saying. Except the issue is not, I believe, a generational one but more a question of having systems which tax fairly to level the playing field a bit and not to reward property speculation.

I certainly didn't get any help from anyone after I left home at 18 because of course serial divorces of my parent's age group meant family fortunes evaporated due to again too high expectations (in many cases from women of that age group) that marriage had to be persistently passionate and never tedious whilst never making them feel unattractive nor a day over 20 (this was the man's job whilst he slaved away earning the income). So in the era of daytime television baby boomer wives were convinced they should stay at home to look after the family, whilst secretly yearning to be rich, free, glamorous and marvelously successful in their own right (a la Alex Carrington from Dynasty played by Joan Collins who, incidentally, had 5 husbands....) So the plot had to come crashing with so many dissatisfied marital couples trying to achieve 1980s deluxe living.

Well my husband and I won't have that problem. We will support each other and live in a small place that we can hopefully always be able to afford. Our insurance policy is each other and we aren't at wars trying to feel more masculine or feminine at anyone's expense and will hopefully just accept the dual responsibilities of a life lived as one. I'm pretty sure these were not the aspirations for people my age 30 years ago..

And as for a lot of my other peers.. well they'll be lucky to find a partner as everyone these days seems to be too busy crossing paths..

I've just read your post speakeasy. If only I had been in the position to sit at home and watch daytime TV :cute: Too busy working I'm afraid. I was married at 25 (to an Australian) moved to Australia when I was 30 and put off having children until I was 33. I returned to work when the youngest started school. Still married to the same man nearly 40 years later. Sometimes I wondered what it would be like to be rich, free and glamorous :rolleyes: but I'm thankful for everything I have - a good husband, no debts and good health.

I agree. If wealth is horded in one demographic group - whether they be whites, males or a certain age group then their interests are catered for in dis-proportion. With the result that everyone in that group is working directly or indirectly for each others' benefit and to maintain the status quo. That is fundamentally the curse with the boomer demographic bulge. You've all steamed ahead because of your size and relative influence. But equality should work across age groups as well as gender and race.

Well no one I know makes use of such financial "organisations". But there obviously must be a few that do because radio rentals and the like wouldn't exist otherwise. My colleague's wife is a lawyer and told me that it is a big problem with the indigenous community as they are poorly informed about money - primarily because of the welfare trap they are in and they lack the long term financial stability of let's face it a white person in a white community with a white education and a white job to have a real sense of due diligence. In this case they probably think they'll get bailed out anyway as they have nothing much to lose. Sickeningly, these companies probably pray upon this financial illiteracy for this exact reason.

So the job of the wife was to prevent court orders by developing education in welfare organizations and support agencies to discourage people from these Ponzi schemes.

Again, this is unpatriotic because institutions should be protecting people from getting their lives in a mess for the benefit of one company's bottom line and that of its shareholders.. when it ultimately impoverishes those who are completely unguarded and end up spending their benefits (our taxes) on a company's profit margin. That's the job of our government - to regulate and apportion a greater sense of corporate responsibility. Not to encourage greater spending and hiking up taxes to deal with the consequences. But fat chance of that when profit is king and we all support fast money by being slaves to consumerism.

The sad thing is we all benefit from growth. But what seems to be growing now is a really unhealthy sense of entitlement and poverty.

Pretty sheltered, yeah. ;)

I've just read your post speakeasy. If only I had been in the position to sit at home and watch daytime TV :cute: Too busy working I'm afraid. I was married at 25 (to an Australian) moved to Australia when I was 30 and put off having children until I was 33. I returned to work when the youngest started school. Still married to the same man nearly 40 years later. Sometimes I wondered what it would be like to be rich, free and glamorous :rolleyes: but I'm thankful for everything I have - a good husband, no debts and good health.

Successful migration, children, health, good finances and a long marriage... You can rest assured!

But obviously you saw the opportunity to do these things. That's what I want for my generation and that of people younger. I life to be proud of. Building over time with hard work. Not a sense of futility and no hope.

Maybe your generation benefitted from that civil-rights movement jazz.. empowered by self determination and the governments of the day listened. Well then the politicians re-tightened their grip by the late eighties.. and now they have well and truly taken the power back.

Yes of course it is, provided you're sure the jobs really are better paid (taking into account the difference in cost of housing and living) and that the demands are less. If you are going to Tassie I could believe that perhaps the hours would be less demanding than the UK - but in Sydney and Melbourne, in my experience, people work far longer hours and get shorter holidays than their equivalents in the UK, so I don't get why people think Australians have a better work/life balance - they don't.

Yes I am sure thank you. Both of us have worked in both 'systems' and are fully aware. Housing where we are looking is cheaper than where we are in the UK. Some living costs are more expensive some are less. Given that our pay is much better in Aus, overall we should be able to have that 'better life' and I'm not afraid to say it!! Even if we weren't better off, I can't see either of us hankering after our uk work/ lifestyle. Family is an obviously a potential/legitimate pull back to the uk but definitely not for the work! Maybe if we lived in Syria right now we might see our current UK life as an improvement but otherwise we're pretty sick of life here!

I appreciate that if you have a great life in the UK then there might not be any point moving but our pros & cons list falls in favour of Australia.

Archived