Moving back to the UK with my spouse

San

Hi

We got married in the UK 14 years ago. My husband is a UK citizen and want to go back to the UK indefinitely, mainly because of the climate and because his parents are getting on.

We just don't know where to start. I don't want to go there and find that I can not work for any reason, although I have worked there, have a national insurance number and drivers licence as well as a bank account. Pretty stuck and would appreciate a starting point.

I flew in yesterday and am quite jet lagged so sorry if I'm not making complete sense.

Thanks.

It rather depends upon what your nationality is and if you aren't an EU passport holder then whether you can get a visa. What visa were you on when you got married?

If you have no UK ancestry then your husband might have to be able to sponsor you via a spouse visa which means he will have to meet some financial requirements like having an income of £18.5k pa or savings of £62.5k

Workwise, that rather depends on your skill set and where you live I suspect

You say you've got an NI number, driver's licence and bank account in the UK already - but I assume that was just on a temporary visa of some kind?

If so, then you're going to have to apply for a spouse visa while you're still in Australia, in order to get back in. It's a straightforward process and fairly quick (my oh's application only took a few weeks) - however you need to meet the financial requirements before you can be considered, and they are fairly substantial.

EITHER you must have a job to go to, with a salary of at least £18,500 a year, OR you must have £62,500 in the bank (which must have been in the bank for a full 12 months, unless it's the proceeds of a house sale).

There are no restrictions on work on a spouse visa. You are also covered by the NHS but you can't claim benefits.

• 2 months later...

Hello, just scouring the forums today as im confused about the financial requirements. I thought (as you say) that you need either a job to go to, OR 62,500 in the bank - but I was reading other links today that said if you are applying from outside the UK, the British Citizen needs a to secure a job offer AND have 62,500 before applying? (im Brit and my husband is Australian). Sorry to jump into this thread from another, but it appears you have been through the process so thought I'd seek your opinion - straight from the horses mouth so to speak. Thank you.

Hello, just scouring the forums today as im confused about the financial requirements. I thought (as you say) that you need either a job to go to, OR 62,500 in the bank - but I was reading other links today that said if you are applying from outside the UK, the British Citizen needs a to secure a job offer AND have 62,500 before applying? (im Brit and my husband is Australian). Sorry to jump into this thread from another, but it appears you have been through the process so thought I'd seek your opinion - straight from the horses mouth so to speak. Thank you.

Ref post #3. It explains the financial requirements.

Hello, just scouring the forums today as im confused about the financial requirements. I thought (as you say) that you need either a job to go to, OR 62,500 in the bank - but I was reading other links today that said if you are applying from outside the UK, the British Citizen needs a to secure a job offer AND have 62,500 before applying? (im Brit and my husband is Australian).

You are right, it's either the job OR the money in the bank.

We arrived yesterday afternoon too.

My Australian partner wanted to return to the UK (I, British born and bred, not so much) but have decided to come back and try and work out if we do want to live here or Australia.

My partner is on a Spouse Visa and can work fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Marisa Sorry to bother you ... Im just confused and dont know where to start. My hubby is from UK and after 5 years in Oz he is miserable and we are thinking of going back .... but our problem isnt the 18500 in job offer we can get that but its Im on a disability payment here in Oz due to genetic condition, and require drs visits 1 per month for meds etc... what is stopping us is my health as we think I will have to pay for everything up front... I noticed you put you are also covered by the NHS but not benefits .. would that apply to a spouse ? I dont want benefits we could survive with out and I can work part time as i do now.. but its the medical side I need some help with. I dont even know where to start to get some information just wasnt sure if you or anyone on here hade any ideas.. thank you for any advice or pointers in advance

Hello Marisa Sorry to bother you ... Im just confused and dont know where to start. My hubby is from UK and after 5 years in Oz he is miserable and we are thinking of going back .... but our problem isnt the 18500 in job offer we can get that but its Im on a disability payment here in Oz due to genetic condition, and require drs visits 1 per month for meds etc... what is stopping us is my health as we think I will have to pay for everything up front... I noticed you put you are also covered by the NHS but not benefits .. would that apply to a spouse ? I dont want benefits we could survive with out and I can work part time as i do now.. but its the medical side I need some help with. I dont even know where to start to get some information just wasnt sure if you or anyone on here hade any ideas.. thank you for any advice or pointers in advance

You wouldn't get disability benefit but I don't see why there would be any problem with medication. I have asthma and need a monthly inhaler. I registered with a GP when I arrived and was accepted no questions asked. I explained that I would need repeat prescriptions and in fact, I didn't even have to see a doctor - one of the doctors phoned me to discuss my treatment and then set up the repeats. I've since had an asthma assessment, also free.

I already had a NI number of course. I wondered how my oh would fare, as he has no NI number and "no benefits" stamped on his passport, but he was also able to register, he's had a NHS number assigned and has had a prescription filled too.

Archived