457 Visa Medical Questions

patrickdinsmore

Hi everybody

I am happy to say that I have been offered 2 great employment opportunities in Sydney, both of whom are willing to sponsor myself and my family.

One of the employers is standing out to me over the other both with their status in the market and experience in previously sponsoring employees as they are a global firm.

They have asked me to get moving with medical examinations which they will reimburse should my visa be granted.

I have 2 questions which you may be able to help me with.

1. Under the recent changes to the medical requirements am I still required to undergo a medical for a temporary visa. See link below. And note that we have both British and Irish passports.

http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa/Heal/meeting-the-health-requirement/health-examinations

2. Where is best to start looking for medical providers. I am guessing bupa would offer but I'm sure there are others including possibly my local doctor or NHS. We live in Belfast northern Ireland.

I have absolutely no issues undergoing the medicals but I just want to see if anyone has experience with the recent changes. Or have I completely misread the recent changes.

Thank you greatly in advance for any help or advise offered.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Have you actually looked into the 457 visa? Are you happy with just a few years in Australia or do you want to move permenently?

The 457 does not automatically lead to PR, you will still need to qualify for and apply for a PR visa.

Do Not rely on promises by employers to make you permanent, things change and if business is bad they can easily get rid of you and you would then have 90 days to leave Australia or transfer the 457 or apply for another visa.

I would honestly say if you can qualify for a PR visa now or get an employer to sponsor you for PR from the get go do that, especially with a family in tow.

With regard to the medical you must have it done ( if required) at a specific immigration panel medical centre, there is a list on the government website, just any bupa or GP will not do.

Yes I am fully aware of all aspects of this visa. And almost all of the PR visas including those that I would be eligible for, and for what states. I have like most on this forum been researching this for several years.

However we have not yet decided if we will make a permanent move or not. And I would also not consider moving without first having employment lined up which in my line of work is hard to come by. The 457 gives us a pathway that we are happy with and should we decide to look into a PR visa we will consider the options available to us at that time.

Sounds like a smart move to do a 457 and see how the place suits you.

Re: x-rays - yes, this probably isn't a good idea if your partner is pregnant (congrats!)... but as someone said above, there is rarely a medical for this visa. No-one in my family needed one. I think there is probably an assumption working that people in the UK tend to be generally healthy (ie. you're less likely to have yellow fever or TB or some other infectious disease). I'd be feeling pretty optimistic about getting the visa without any mention from them about needing a medical cert :)

Youngwombat thanks for chiming in.

So it seems the info regarding medicals is correct. After speaking further to the employer the medical is for their own records due to the nature of the job they want to make sure that the applicant has a certain level of fitness, which I completely agree. And that no further medicals will be required unless requested during the application.

Thanks again for your help

Hi!

Myself, my husband and our 2 little boys moved to Perth in June on a 457 visa. Only a very quick medical for my hubby, and no X-rays done. I think he was in and out with in half hour! Good luck x[emoji1303]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk