Processing time for a 189 Visa?

KoalaPom

Can anyone tell me how long it takes to get assigned a case officer, All paper work and police checks submitted for a 189 visa on 26/12/15 is it best to get our medicals done now or wait till we are contacted? Is there a min time for getting your paper work processed? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

We wanted to preserve the 1 year entry date (from the date of medical or police checks) so we waited to be contacted......BIG MISTAKE!. Everyone who lodged the same time as us but put in a complete application even the Form 80 (they can randomly request this) They all received their grants within 2-3 months of lodging. We are now 5 and half months down the line and still no sign!!

First they asked for medicals then after a very lengthy wait from their end they then requested Form 80's!! That was nearly 2 months ago.

Our agent told us that when they request something you get put to the back of the que and unfortunately for us, they then requested again - putting us back again.

Get it all sent in, is my advice.

We were going to front load but we were weighed a CO so quickly we didn't get a chance. if you front load and all is in order and you don't get asked for anything extra you'll get a direct grant. We were allocated a CO within 2 weeks of being invited so we immediately hooked the Medicals and got the police checks done and although many people who were invited after us got their grant before us we only had to wait until the 5th of Jan for our grant email and our Medicals were loaded on the 1st of December.

Its up to you, if you're in a rush get it all done, we aren't going until October so we were t overly fussed as long as we got the grants

Hi Adele244, Skyba thanks for the posts that's great, we have done ours via the EOI then 4 weeks later were paid up and sent all the docs electronically that was 26/12/15 but still haven't heard anything do you get sent an email to say you have a CO? and is that the point you get your medicals done? sorry just a bit confused. Also whats a form 80? cheers

Hi there, the Form 80, is a mahoooosive form, asking all about you and your family. It asks about all holidays taken in the last 5 years, all education from birth, loads and loads of questions. Apparently it is totally random as to whether you will be asked for one. If my agent had told me about this, I would have filled it in and sent it.

If you want I have the blank form, I can send it you if you wish, I know loads of people who uploaded it regardless of whether they were asked or not.

X X X

Hi Adele244, Skyba thanks for the posts that's great, we have done ours via the EOI then 4 weeks later were paid up and sent all the docs electronically that was 26/12/15 but still haven't heard anything do you get sent an email to say you have a CO? and is that the point you get your medicals done? sorry just a bit confused. Also whats a form 80? cheers

If you aren't worried about shortening your time that you have to enter the country I'd get the Medicals and police checks done ASAP, this way you have a chance of a direct grant unless you get asked for the form 80, we were never asked for it though, I think it's pot luck.

Also, I dont know how true this is, but when I asked my agent "Go Matilda" when I would be allocated a case officer, she told me that you dont get them anymore. It is simply a case of it is in a department, it goes in a que and it is any ones guess as to who picks it up to do it.

So every time we have been requested information, someone different will look at it next time. You dont get your own person case officer.......If that makes sense.

Hi everyone thanks for posts that's really helpful, we've done the police ones and uploaded them most docs were already approved via EOI we had read that your not supposed to have medicals until they issue you with a number which is then included on the medical forms we also rang the medical practice and they said we needed this number to book our medicals. IELETS also completed and submitted this is for my partner shes has 75points for a 189.

Hi there, the Form 80, is a mahoooosive form, asking all about you and your family. It asks about all holidays taken in the last 5 years, all education from birth, loads and loads of questions. Apparently it is totally random as to whether you will be asked for one. If my agent had told me about this, I would have filled it in and sent it.

If you want I have the blank form, I can send it you if you wish, I know loads of people who uploaded it regardless of whether they were asked or not.

X X X

Not 100% about that form Ill let you know if I need it, I know they asked some information about my achievements etc, if I do need it I will PM you.

You can generate the HAPID you need to book the medical yourself from your Immi account you do not need to wait for a case officer to request this if you are not bothered about the year date it is valid for. As I had already booked my flights I preloaded all my documents the day I paid and applied and somehow had my visa a week later, no case officer, but from what I can tell this quick a turn around is very rare. I did not do form 80 though as this looked horrible so I was hoping I did not get asked.

Sorry guys to be asking probably a silly question. What is a "direct grant"? What makes it different from just a visa grant. I tried googling but did not find anything .

Its when you frontload you documents prior to getting a case officer. so then when you are initially assigned the CO and they look at your case they give you a grant without even having to be assigned a CO in the traditional sense where you are requested for info.

Also, I dont know how true this is, but when I asked my agent "Go Matilda" when I would be allocated a case officer, she told me that you dont get them anymore. It is simply a case of it is in a department, it goes in a que and it is any ones guess as to who picks it up to do it.

So every time we have been requested information, someone different will look at it next time. You dont get your own person case officer.......If that makes sense.

My agent told me this, they used to assign you a CO a and you would be dealt with by that CO for the entire process and every time your agent emailed someone it would be that specific person. Now it all just goes onto a system and you deal with whoever looks at the email at the time

That's right.

Case officers ceased to exist around 18 months ago. I think that there was some inconsistencies such as files being left unprocessed while a designated case officer was on holiday for example, so it made sense to pile the applications all together, ensure fairness and also streamline the process.

I suppose the benefit to the applicant is that no single person can decide the fate of an application, and many officers are involved in the processing.

There's two GSM processing centres, one in Adelaide and one in Brisbane. The computer system they have means that any of the processing officers can pick up a file in either centre as if they were all in the same room. So it is possible to get the Adelaide office asking for info and Brisbane issuing the grant, and vice versa.

I tried to only use the term processing officer when they changed the system, but case officer (or even CO) is easier to type, and also people know what I mean!

Form 80 seems to be asked for quite a lot these days. It used to be that only people from high risk countries, people with criminal convictions, extensive travel history, people that have lived overseas from their country of citizenship/birth, and people with military service, that were asked for it.

Nowadays I'd reckon that 2 out of 3 applicants are asked for it, seemingly for no apparent reason.

Although it's a huge form and takes some preparation and time to complete, I'd always recommend that an applicant at least make a start on it in case it's asked for further down the line. It's up to individual preference whether you decide to front load it.

There's no solid evidence that front loading Form 80 will slow down or speed up an application. But if you're asked for it, then not having it ready to send certainly will slow you down.

Hi thanks for this info, we looked on the Immi site and it says not to organise your medical if you've already submitted your paper work and to wait for a CO? Anyone know what's best? I know under the section of uploaded documents we have a ? where the medical should be, I'm assuming when you do have them this section is for the declaration form and the rest gets sent on from the place where your medical is done? 

X X X

our agent has asked us to this this form prior to applying next week so I guess we are sending it all the same time to avoid any delay. She filled most of form in and we just checked and completed any missing bits.

on starting with our agent she sent us a simulated form to complete with all the speeded info ready to complete the application and this form.

the holiday section was actually 10 years and employment/education was from birth.

Hi there,

Looking for some advice on how to front load my police and medical checks and how I actually go about doing them? Also can you front load both once you have submitted your EOI? We aren't using an agent for our application (189 visa).

Thanks in advance :)

Hi,

We wanted to preserve the 1 year entry date (from the date of medical or police checks) so we waited to be contacted......BIG MISTAKE!. Everyone who lodged the same time as us but put in a complete application even the Form 80 (they can randomly request this) They all received their grants within 2-3 months of lodging. We are now 5 and half months down the line and still no sign!!

First they asked for medicals then after a very lengthy wait from their end they then requested Form 80's!! That was nearly 2 months ago.

Our agent told us that when they request something you get put to the back of the que and unfortunately for us, they then requested again - putting us back again.

Get it all sent in, is my advice.

We exactly in the same situation, we lodged our application on the 21st of August case officer was assigned on the 8th of October and requested form 80, which we filled and submitted on the same day, on the 25th of November a new case officer was assigned and asked for police clearances which we had submitted when we lodged application. Still waiting and we called on Monday and we were told that the case officer will make a decision when he's ready :(

Hi there,

Looking for some advice on how to front load my police and medical checks and how I actually go about doing them? Also can you front load both once you have submitted your EOI? We aren't using an agent for our application (189 visa).

Thanks in advance :)

Front-loading simply means including them in your application when you upload all your other documents. You can complete the health checks upfront by completing My Health Declarations, downloading the reference letter provided (with your HAP ID) and then booking your medical appointment. http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa/Heal/meeting-the-health-requirement/arranging-a-health-examination#

You can complete the character checks by requesting your police checks. Then when you submit your visa application, you provide the HAP ID for your health check and upload the police checks.

Archived