Yet another question regarding where to live on Sydney

mhsver

Hey everyone,

I'm Arriving to Sydney at the end of January on 457 visa and looking for advices about where to focus my efforts searching for a place to live in.

My office is located in the centre of the CBD and I'm looking for something in the sub 40 minutes commute by public transport radius.

We're a couple with no kids in our 20's and 30's, looking for 1-2 bedroom unit. Budget is set to 550$ pw max.

It's important for me to have nice nature around me, parks or beaches. Easy access by bicycle to the CBD will get bonus points.

This is what I had in mind up until now:

* Lane Cove - Chatswood - Artarmon

* Kingsford - Randwick - Bondi Junction

* Manly*

* Crows Nest - North Sydney

Manly is pretty much a dream for me however I'm not sure about commute times from and to.

Lane Cove seems nice and affordable.

Would be great to get other any advice.

Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Most of those areas are outside your budget - you may find units for that price, but the rooms will be tiny and/or they will be a poor standard. Take all the photos on realestate.com.au and domain.com.au with a pinch of salt - they all use fish-eye lenses (which make the rooms look twice the size!) and will often use photos from just after the property was renovated/built instead of current ones.

Of the areas you mention, Lane Cove is your best bet as there's quite a bit of new construction there. However it is quiet and further away from restaurants, nightlife etc. Kingsford is a convenient area but a lot of renters are students and many landlord are aiming at that market (i.e. renting cheap but not maintaining their properties well). There's a lot of multi-occupancy student flats which can get noisy. If you want Eastern Suburbs, Randwick is slightly cheaper than most other suburbs and is within a bike ride/walk of beaches and parks.

You'd get more for your money in Marrickville, Dulwich Hill, Lewisham, Summer Hill - all Inner West suburbs which are becoming trendy, with lots of restaurants and cafes. Although they are inner city, Sydney streets are all quite leafy and there are parks dotted about.

Hey Marisa,

Thanks for the reply.

I did a quick check in realestate for available units by suburbs in my budget:

Lane Cove: 51

Chatswood: 30

Artarmon: 27

Randwick: 53

Manly: 10

Crows Nest: 15

North Sydney: 24

Marrickville: 67

Dulwich Hill: 47

Lewisham: 9

Summer Hill: 18

So obviously the northern parts are more expensive but it does seem like there aren't any places to check, am I missing something?

The thing about photos and tiny apartments is understood - until you didn't see the apartment in real life shouldn't develop any high hopes :-)

For $650 you can find 1br within walking distance from CBD and your office. Walking to work will save you quite a lot of time and money on public transport, plus you will have all the entertainment areas close by where you can go for a drink or a nice evening out without the need to pay for a cab on the way back. There are also lots of activities around CBD and for a younger couple this could be quite suitable. We came 3 months ago and secured a rental in a newer apartment building in Surry Hills, close to Oxford street. I walk to work and after we lived in the area for a while, we both think that it was a great decision we made. Initially, we also had a lower budget but I guess, it is a trade off.

I don't think your budget is unreasonable. My sister in law rented a lovely 1bed flat in Neutral Bay up to a year ago (when she bought) for $550, and it was a great flat in a sought after area.

Manly I would think would be the most expensive area you have quoted, and apart from the ferry, getting to and from there can be a pain. It is nice though.

I would definitely add the Inner West to your list. The suburbs Marisa has mentioned plus Pyrmont, Glebe, Balmain (probably too expensive), Rozelle, Lilyfield, Leichhardt, Camperdown, Annandale, Newtown, Erskineville, Enmore, Stanmore, Petersham. Newtown, Enmore and Camperdown are more studenty and noisier (not cheap though), there are parks everywhere and in Sydney you don't have to go far from the beaten track to have peace.

Bicycling to the CBD os much easier from south side of the harbour: the councils are more cycling oriented so there's much more infrastructure, you don't have to cross the bridge (which is OK but there's a big flight of steps involved) and it's a lot flatter. The first time I cycled up to Crow's Nest, I understood the name!

On the north side I would also look at the quieter suburbs flanking North Sydney - Neutral Bay, Cammeray, Waverton etc. Again may be too expensive though

I'd recommend Erskineville and near by areas. There are lots of different types of properties - old terraces (maybe outside of budget) and units. Erskineville sits near two train lines so quick and easy access to CBD and beyond,also there is a direct bus to Coogee. I see people cycling to work (I presume the CBD) on bike lanes along Wilson Street or other streets. Sydney Park is really close by and we have cycled to Centennial Park a few times. There are a lot of new developments in Erskinveille but for now at least it has retained its 'village' charm. The new developments have kept rent prices competitive so you may score a 2bed for you budget or easily a big 1 bed in a complex with good facilities if that is what you want.

BTW, I think Dinks living in the inner city get the best side of Sydney - great access to CBD, facilities, nature, transport, harbour and beaches, with lots of really attractive little suburbs to choose from.

You avoid the things that are less good - long commutes, traffic congestion, faceless sprawl, the worst of the heat, mortgage stress and childcare/education costs and hassles

So enjoy :-)

I noticed there are quite a lot of places in Natural Bay. Any reason for this? It seems like a good place. Where's the catch?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

No catch. It's a very nice area. Quiet and attractive streets with lots of Jacaranda trees, lots of facilities (shops, bars, cafes, restaurants) in the "village" at the top of the hill, although in this immediate area it's very busy/noisy (Military Rd is a horrible traffic sewer)

A walk to North Sydney, direct ferries tk Circular Quay (less convenient than that sounds, as they aren't frequent enough; buses are more useful and very frequent to get to the CBD). Easy journey to the closest beach at Balmoral, and also lots of buses to Manly

I think there are just a lot of flats in this area

My SiL's old place was great: A double bedroom with a dressing room/wardrobe off, a good bathroom, a living/dining room of a similar size, a small but fully equipped kitchen off that, best thing was a large entertaining balcony/raised deck overlooking a lovely garden. It was part of an older house that had been converted, parking was always OK outside. 10 min walk up the hill to the village, 5 min walk downhill to ferry, buses went down the same street to the city. $530 a week.

check out Chiswick, we pay 600 for a 2 bed to give us more room but there are 1 beds going for just over 500 I think. Really nice place with big outdoor pool/indoor pool etc. 30 minutes into the city from the ferry at the end of the street.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all,

just coming back to update.

I've managed to secure a place in Cremorne Point, just near the Wharf for 510$ for 1 bedroom + car space. Place is about 50-60 square meters which is exactly what I need.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Archived