Departed Australia - Lodging Final Tax Return from Overseas

Progressive

The guidance notes on ATO website state:

post your completed tax return to:

Australian Taxation Office

GPO Box 9845

IN YOUR CAPITAL CITYDo not substitute your actual city, as we have a special arrangement with Australia Post.

How do I mange this from overseas? Any idea where I should post the completed tax return to?

We moved to UK in June and I did my tax return online. I submitted it in mid September and finally got it sorted just before Christmas after some phone calls to find out why it was taking so long (apparently they were waiting on answers from Centrelink regarding my CCB). They sent my refund in a cheque even though I'd given them my Australian bank account details but I managed to get it cashed into my Halifax account. My husband submitted his online too at the end of October and we're still waiting on this one. Good luck.

I am in the same position. To submit the 2015/16 via online submission I think you have to wait until after 30/06/2016. To claim early because you have left Australia permanently you have to submit a paper tax return.

do you mean you're not sure where to send it to because of the Australia post arrangement for payment? I would just post it to your former capital city. Maybe it wouldn't do any harm to add postage stamps to the envelope to make sure it gets delivered.

• 2 weeks later...

@Progressive. I found the following information on the ATO website

https://www.ato.gov.au/about-ato/about-us/contact-us/write-to-us/

"

If you are sending your paper tax return from overseas, change the address on the pre-addressed envelope by crossing out 'IN YOUR CAPITAL CITY' and replacing it with:

SYDNEY NSW 2001, AUSTRALIA

It will help us if you also cross out the barcode above the address.

If you are using your own envelope, mail it to:

Australian Taxation Office

GPO Box 9845

SYDNEY NSW 2001, AUSTRALIA"

I lodged mine online this year from the UK, but that was in July 2015 - during the usual end of year period. Very quick turnaround - a refund cheque arrived within a couple of weeks.

I would guess if you want things resolved earlier, then a paper return might be in order.

• 1 month later...

Update for future readers:

Posted (first class) paper copy of tax return to Australian Tax Office in Perth on 21st January 2016.

Received rebate into Australian bank account on 22nd February 2016.

Assuming five business days in the post, that's 17 business days to turn it around and pay out. Not bad at all.

Does everyone have to do this when they leave? :0/

Tax returns are (generally) mandatory for everyone in Australia. This would include where the person has earned for part of a tax year.

For the average person in this situation, they would see usually see a decent rebate anyway so there would be a financial incentive in doing so anyway.

• 1 month later...
Update for future readers:

Posted (first class) paper copy of tax return to Australian Tax Office in Perth on 21st January 2016.

Received rebate into Australian bank account on 22nd February 2016.

Assuming five business days in the post, that's 17 business days to turn it around and pay out. Not bad at all.

I just sent mine on 29/3/16 from nz, hoping it gets processed and no glitches asap.

This thread was exactly what I was looking for.

Does anyone know if you can you keep your Australian bank accounts open if you leave permanently as I'm guessing this would be the easiest way to get your return.

I guess the agreement could be: you don't tell them you are leaving permanently, and they keep it open...

This thread was exactly what I was looking for.

Does anyone know if you can you keep your Australian bank accounts open if you leave permanently as I'm guessing this would be the easiest way to get your return.

Yes, you can. Inform your bank you are leaving and change your correspondence address to an overseas one. The bank will withhold 'non-resident withholding tax' from your interest which a negligible amount (a couple of dollars). Well worth keeping it open an assures correspondence won't get sent to your now vacant previous residence.

An important thing to note is to make sure you provide your super fund with your current bank account details so they can pay the DASP by directly as opposed to a cheque, which would be a pain to deal with when overseas.

I lodged my return electronically, kept my Westpac account open and gave them change of address, have a basic account that costs nothing so keeping it open indefinitely. I was glad I'd kept 4 UK accounts open when it came to moving back & who knows what the

future holds.