Ship a laptop from the US?

Indianinoz

Hello,

I'm interested in purchasing a laptop from the USA into Sydney, Australia. My friend in the USA will order it online and then ship it to me in Sydney. The laptop is available for only $280USD in the US with free shipping. Any ideas how much would it cost for me to get it into Sydney? Shipping cost and taxes? And how much time will it take? Which is the best way to ship it from US to Australia?

Almost all laptop psu's are rated 110-240v. If needed, replacement psu's are easily available retail in Aus.

Currently there are no customs duties or taxes for purchases under $1000.

Shipping fees will depend on your friend getting prices from DHL, UPS etc in the USA.

Why not buy it online yourself and ask the seller to include shipping and handling in their price to you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello,

I'm interested in purchasing a laptop from the USA into Sydney, Australia. My friend in the USA will order it online and then ship it to me in Sydney. The laptop is available for only $280USD in the US with free shipping. Any ideas how much would it cost for me to get it into Sydney? Shipping cost and taxes? And how much time will it take? Which is the best way to ship it from US to Australia?

Again, you need to learn how to use the internet. Ask the supplier the weight of the package including packaging. Then go to the US Postal Service website and use their postage calculator. You could use a courier but it will be far more expensive and you may have to pay extra charges when it arrives.

Sure, thanks for the suggestion and I will check. I somewhere read that although they don't charge customs on laptops worth less than $1000, they do charge GST. Is this true? If yes, do they charge 10% on the purchase price or do they estimate the value and charge 10%?

• 3 weeks later...
Sure, thanks for the suggestion and I will check. I somewhere read that although they don't charge customs on laptops worth less than $1000, they do charge GST. Is this true? If yes, do they charge 10% on the purchase price or do they estimate the value and charge 10%?

I had a MacBook sent from US to UK which got clobbered for some kind of duty or tax. Don't know if it will be the same for you. It cost me £90 to get it and it was second hand (a gift from my nephew). I checked it all out, and I didn't have a leg to stand on. Wait until someone can bring it over for you, I'd say...

Archived