Extra baggage on singapore airline?

greggy

Hello everyone,

Well after many months I finally head down under at the end of Feb, so its all madness this end trying to get sorted, packed and my life in order.

Anyway, I remember reading somewhere, though I now can't find it, that Singapore airlines can offer extra baggage space free if I can prove I'm moving down-under with the right to remain indefinitely. Has anyone come across, or used, this?

I expect its no longer done, but thought I'd ask on here before contacting them.

Regards

Greggy

Its not as much these days either iirc. You get 30kg as standard in economy and they give an extra 10kg although its always best to email them with your visa grant and get confirmation of this to save possible hassle at check in.

Is that to the whole family, or just the person with the PR?

Just the person with the PR unvalidated visa.

Consider also that the price of the airline may outweigh the cost of shipping an extra 25kg holdall as excess luggage. If Singapore airlines flights are hundreds more than say Emirates then you'd not save much perhaps as you can ship an excess bag for £100 or so and send it off the day before you leave and have it arrive a couple of days later. Door to door so no need to cart it to and from the airports etc.

Thank you.

I'll give them a ring later and see what i need to do.

Just email their contact info for the UK and attach your visa grant letter and enquire about the excess baggage. You'll get a reply. Print it off and take it with you to the airport and you'll be fine.

Hello everyone,

Well after many months I finally head down under at the end of Feb, so its all madness this end trying to get sorted, packed and my life in order.

Anyway, I remember reading somewhere, though I now can't find it, that Singapore airlines can offer extra baggage space free if I can prove I'm moving down-under with the right to remain indefinitely. Has anyone come across, or used, this?

I expect its no longer done, but thought I'd ask on here before contacting them.

Regards

Greggy

We (2 adults + 2 under 3s) migrated with SIA back in September. They will give you an extra 10kg per seat on presentation of an unused PR visa. In our case that was an extra 30kg as we had to buy a seat for our 2 year old. You will definitely need to bring a print out of the visa grant with you.

We are a family of 4 flying out as well in February with SIA, and I can confirm what others are saying, which is that SIA will honour the extra 10kg per ticket upon check in as long as the VISA you are using to fly on has never been validated before (i.e. You have not yet entered Aus with that VISA). I emailed the UK support centre and got a very fast email reply back with all the details. They also confirmed there would be no item limit imposed, so we could take as many cases, boxes, etc... as we wanted as along as the total weight limits were not exceeded per ticket.

Best of luck with the upcoming move.

When I came out in April it took a while for the person on the checkin at Heathrow to go and sort out how to cancel the extra charge for my additional 8Kg, vanishing round the back with the copies of visa grant and email from Singapore Airline confirming 40Kg allowance. No problems beyond this, so just print copies of everything and get to airport in plenty of time.

Is that to the whole family, or just the person with the PR?

How many in your family are applying for visas? Anyone who has an unvalidated PR visa will be eligible for the excess baggage. Aus passport holders will not qualify.

My wife and I had already validated our visas so weren't eligible but our son who was 2 years old at the time was allowed 40kg of luggage because his visa wasn't validated. He was too lazy to carry it himself though! Kids these days!

PS The email address to get confirmation of this to show at check-in is (or at least was) UK_Reservations@Singaporeair.com.sg

Edited by Ken

How many in your family are applying for visas? Anyone who has an unvalidated PR visa will be eligible for the excess baggage. Aus passport holders will not qualify.

It's only me that has PR Visa, all the kids are dual, and Mrs is Australian.............reading the above, that's only me that qualifies?

It's only me that has PR Visa, all the kids are dual, and Mrs is Australian.............reading the above, that's only me that qualifies?

Yes, it's only you that qualifiesn for excess baggage.

Couple of years ago however phone in advance, they will check your visa documentation and then provide the additional allowance at check in. Myself and my wife travelled with 85+kg for the pair of us using a validated visa (was first validated 1 year previously). Tips,

be polite and smile

turn up early

pack everything neatly ie we had 2 bags each and 2 hand luggage each.

Best of luck and Singapore Airlines are one of our preferred airlines however the Singapire to Au flight is quite poor.

S

BTW, how is Kent? We are originally from Tunbridge Wells but now happily call Brisbane home.

Thank you for all the details everyone.

I've just emailed Sing Air, so hopefully that will be sorted shortly.

Srg73, I shall follow your instructions to the letter, I've started practicing my smile in mirror so it looks happy, rather than causing concern that in might have escaped from somewhere.

Ah, your from just up the road then, I'm a Tenterden boy.

Kent is lovely, excusing the wind and rain we are currently having and that the doom mongers are saying will turn to snow soon. Other than that not much as changed i suspect.

Oh, and they are now widening the A21 between Tunbridge Wells and Tonbridge, which is about as exciting as its gotten recently. :laugh:

I shall send your regards to Tunbridge Wells, as I'm over that way this weekend.

Regards

Greggy

We validated our PR visa with a 3 week fact finding trip and returned to UK to make preparations for a permanent move. We are heading out in March. Does anyone know if we would be entitled to this still? I'm guessing not 

No you won't. Its unvalidated only.

I'd ship an excess bag each if you need to take more. Not that expensive in the grand scheme of things. Arrives within a few days also. We shipped one the day before we flew, it arrived the day after we landed pretty much. Collected and delivered door to door.

I got this reply today:-

Thank you for your e-mail.

Please be informed that if you hold an unused/unstamped/not validated migrant visa that specifically states that you are permitted to remain in Australia indefinitely / permanently for flights departing from London/Manchester you will then be entitled to our migrant baggage allowance (i.e. 40 kilos per seat paying passenger)

This baggage allowance will only be granted when you check in at the airport when this visa is sighted and checked that it has also not been travelled on before, this has to be the first time it is being used.

You can have as many items of checked luggage as you wish provided:

•The total combined weight of all the items put together does not exceed your total checked allowances

•No single item of baggage exceeds 32 kilos in weight, as a health and safety requirement

If you are not holding the correct visa mentioned above at check-in, then you will be entitled to the standard free checked baggage allowance of 30 kilos per seated passenger.

For reference, for flights between the United Kingdom and Australia, the excess baggage charge is USD85.00 per kilo which is approximately GBP58.00 per kilo. Please note excess baggage is charged at check in on your day of departure using the applicable currency exchange rates for that day.

We hope the above information helps.

Thank you for choosing Singapore Airlines

I got this reply today:-

Thank you for your e-mail.

Please be informed that if you hold an unused/unstamped/not validated migrant visa that specifically states that you are permitted to remain in Australia indefinitely / permanently for flights departing from London/Manchester you will then be entitled to our migrant baggage allowance (i.e. 40 kilos per seat paying passenger)

This baggage allowance will only be granted when you check in at the airport when this visa is sighted and checked that it has also not been travelled on before, this has to be the first time it is being used.

You can have as many items of checked luggage as you wish provided:

•The total combined weight of all the items put together does not exceed your total checked allowances

•No single item of baggage exceeds 32 kilos in weight, as a health and safety requirement

If you are not holding the correct visa mentioned above at check-in, then you will be entitled to the standard free checked baggage allowance of 30 kilos per seated passenger.

For reference, for flights between the United Kingdom and Australia, the excess baggage charge is USD85.00 per kilo which is approximately GBP58.00 per kilo. Please note excess baggage is charged at check in on your day of departure using the applicable currency exchange rates for that day.

We hope the above information helps.

Thank you for choosing Singapore Airlines

That's it.

The excess baggage with most airlines is pretty pricey. An excess baggage company will be cheaper for an extra bag. A lot cheaper. You could ship an extra 20-30kg bag quoted online from any number of companies. Just check reviews and feedback before using one to make sure they rate ok. I can't remember the one we used for an extra bag when flying out but it was a decent one. Cost about £100, maybe £120 all up door to door a couple of years ago. Plus I had the excess baggage with the airline but hubby and child are Aus citizens so didn't get it and we wanted to to take some extra clothes etc.