PR e-visas not showing up at the airport

leanie

My family was granted PR back in 2012 and we have been in Aus since then. The problem I am having is with my kids passports for flying back into Australia. They first had their PR visa loaded onto their nz passports, but after getting uk passports I filled in the form to have the visa put on the uk passports instead. 2 years ago we flew to Malaysia. When it was time to go home at the airport I was told my middle child had no visa for Australia and told us to go to the Malaysia airlines desk (a queue of over 100 people). It was stressful but luckily I was able to find a copy of my visa grant letter (complete with nz passport numbers for my kids) but at least the check in staff took me seriously. We got on the plane and made it back to WA. After that incident I contacted the immigration dept and they assured me it would never happen again and issued me with a revised visa grant letter stating their uk passport numbers. Phew no problem ever again hey? Sadly not. We went to the uk a few months ago and at the airport for our flight from Dubai to WA I was told my middle child had no visa. We waited for half an hour for them to contact Canberra and get the approval. The same thing happened to the man in the line next to me who said it happens all the time. We got the approval and went to the gate only at the gate we were told me eldest kid has no visa and again they had to call Canberra, they sent me with my younger two kids through the last checkpoint whilst they sorted it out, my eldest with her dad. They made it to the plane though but once again a stressful experience.

i am not sure who to contact about this as it all seems to have changed from a couple of years ago. In Dubai the lady said my kids visas were linked to their NZ passports and this has me worried. Who can I call to confirm?

we are going overseas in a few months so don't want a repeat as it'll be at LAX not the most friendly airport! I don't seem to have a problem with my own passport as it's still the same one I was granted my PR on. My youngest is an Aussie citizen and hubby a kiwi so they cannot be denied entry. I am considering renewing my eldest 2s kiwi passports so I don't have to face this again. Citizenship is not far away for us too but not close enough.

what do you reckon? Should I call or email someone or just renew the kiwi passports? Thanks.

Guest guest30085

I've just renewed my passport and sent off the appropriate form. I then flew to the UK, so I'm really hoping when I try to get back on the plane next week that this doesn't happen!

Im not sure what else you can do, you've followed their rules! Hopefully they sort it out for you in time for your next trip. I've always read to carry your old passports with you which the visa was originally attached to, OK for me, not so good for a family of five etc

I've just renewed my passport and sent off the appropriate form. I then flew to the UK, so I'm really hoping when I try to get back on the plane next week that this doesn't happen!

Im not sure what else you can do, you've followed their rules! Hopefully they sort it out for you in time for your next trip. I've always read to carry your old passports with you which the visa was originally attached to, OK for me, not so good for a family of five etc

That happened to me a few years ago flying from the UK to Australia. However, that was simply because the check in lady did not recognise the Australian visa that was in my passport.

Despite me telling her again and again it was a a valid Aussie visa (the fact it had Australia on it kind of gave it away), she refused to let us go through and we had to wait over an hour for a supervisor, who came and looked at it and then nodded us straight through.

I can only imagine that now everything is electronic that it can be even more difficult when things don't show up! Am a citizen now, so don't have to deal with that anymore.

My family was granted PR back in 2012 and we have been in Aus since then. The problem I am having is with my kids passports for flying back into Australia. They first had their PR visa loaded onto their nz passports, but after getting uk passports I filled in the form to have the visa put on the uk passports instead. 2 years ago we flew to Malaysia. When it was time to go home at the airport I was told my middle child had no visa for Australia and told us to go to the Malaysia airlines desk (a queue of over 100 people). It was stressful but luckily I was able to find a copy of my visa grant letter (complete with nz passport numbers for my kids) but at least the check in staff took me seriously. We got on the plane and made it back to WA. After that incident I contacted the immigration dept and they assured me it would never happen again and issued me with a revised visa grant letter stating their uk passport numbers. Phew no problem ever again hey? Sadly not. We went to the uk a few months ago and at the airport for our flight from Dubai to WA I was told my middle child had no visa. We waited for half an hour for them to contact Canberra and get the approval. The same thing happened to the man in the line next to me who said it happens all the time. We got the approval and went to the gate only at the gate we were told me eldest kid has no visa and again they had to call Canberra, they sent me with my younger two kids through the last checkpoint whilst they sorted it out, my eldest with her dad. They made it to the plane though but once again a stressful experience.

i am not sure who to contact about this as it all seems to have changed from a couple of years ago. In Dubai the lady said my kids visas were linked to their NZ passports and this has me worried. Who can I call to confirm?

we are going overseas in a few months so don't want a repeat as it'll be at LAX not the most friendly airport! I don't seem to have a problem with my own passport as it's still the same one I was granted my PR on. My youngest is an Aussie citizen and hubby a kiwi so they cannot be denied entry. I am considering renewing my eldest 2s kiwi passports so I don't have to face this again. Citizenship is not far away for us too but not close enough.

what do you reckon? Should I call or email someone or just renew the kiwi passports? Thanks.

If you aren't too far away from citizenship then it's probably going to be OK to carry on as you are. If you think that it's the best option to renew the 2 kiwi passports then go ahead, but you do have valid visas so they've got no real right to refuse your travel.

I would suggest to print out your grant notifications, and also do a VEVO search on the day of travel, or close to it. Print that out for all travellers and take that with you as well. https://online.immi.gov.au/evo/firstParty?actionType=query

There is also an official VEVO app for iPhone

https://appsto.re/gb/uQ456.i

Or for android

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=au.gov.border.myvevo&hl=en_GB

Form 929 is the one you need to fill in when updating passport details to passports.

We had issues validating our visas due to my OH having 2 valid passports for same country (work purposes). VEVO, grant letter and visa label in passport showed that he had a valid visa but the system would not pick it up and had 2 hr wait to get boarding passes. Had issues entering Australia too and had to get it sorted at other desk. Now he takes both passports when travelling, so might be worth taking the expired NZ passports until you are able to get citizenship.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest guest30085

Just as an update....

I sent form 929 off just the week before Xmas and then flew home for three weeks. When I got back to Manchester for check in, as I was only travelling as far as Singapore with Emirates, they were not looking for a visa for Aus, but I asked them if they would check on the system and yes the visa number had been attached to my new passport number. For once, it looks like pretty good turn around.

Thanks so much for you replies everyone, I didn't realise I had any until today! I'm glad it's all looking fine for you adonna. I submitted a complaint some weeks ago to the border control website. I got a reply saying all was fine with my daughters visas. And then a week or two later they sent me this: "Further to your complaint of 1 January and my reply of 12 January, I am writing to advise you that the department has put a ‘fix’ in place in the system which we trust will ensure that your future travel is smooth.

Because there is sometimes an issue when a client travels on a passport with a different nationality as that of the travel document that was used in the visa application process, the system doesn’t always recognise a traveller that presents a travel document of a different nationality as happened in your case. The border entry control section has therefore done a workaround in the system and has created a ‘dummy’ evidence against the new passport."

i hope this this fix works, and yes it must be unusual to apply for a visa under one nationality and then have it transferred to a passport of a different nationality but there must be a few hundred each year in a situation such as this. I appreciate that they have identified the problem and let me know that there is one. Fingers crossed we will have no issues. I will take copies of visa grant letter that has been revised. It is nerve racking though, hopefully our last time before citizenship.

• 3 months later...

Archived