Offer full rent?

chilliboy

Hello,

We have just arrived in Oz and only plan to stay for 6 months. We are looking at renting properties from $450 - $500 per week. Would it be acceptable to offer less than is asked? We have the funds to pay the 6 months up front and were thinking we could offer $470 per week for a $500 per week house if given in the total lump sum of 6 months for the lease. Does anyone think this is acceptable or will the estate agents decline?

In my experience agents have a realistic idea of what will get rented in any particular market and advise the landlord to set rent accordingly. You can offer, but you'll probably be knocked back unless the landlord is desperate to get someone in there or the market in that area is slow.

Going to a few open homes will help you determine the interest, when we started renting here it was a fight to get into the door first and shove a grubby mitt of paperworks and forms into the agents hand...

And people offering more than the asking price to try and outbid the other potential tenants!!!!

Until I returned to the UK - and unfortunately AFTER we'd rented our flat - I had no idea that tenants are expected to haggle over the rental figure in the UK. It is not the norm in Australia, in fact the more usual practice is for tenants to offer MORE than the advertised rent to win the tenancy.

I think that's changing now in some markets where the demand for rentals is dropping. That may be the case on the Central Coast for all I know. It doesn't hurt to try I guess!

• 1 month later...

Archived