Thinking about moving from Perth to NSW

skiegirl14

My husband and I have just taken a holiday to sydney and loved it. We realise a holiday is different than living in a place but it was so nice to have so much more variety in everything than in WA. We also realise that sydney is out of our price range. We have a 2 year old and are hoping to have another next year. We have heard that Wollongong was nice and also Newcastle. My husband is an electrician working in the mines right now but we'd like to get away from the fifo life. Any advice on what the job and house markets are like would be appreciated! ?

My husband and I have just taken a holiday to sydney and loved it. We realise a holiday is different than living in a place but it was so nice to have so much more variety in everything than in WA. We also realise that sydney is out of our price range. We have a 2 year old and are hoping to have another next year. We have heard that Wollongong was nice and also Newcastle. My husband is an electrician working in the mines right now but we'd like to get away from the fifo life. Any advice on what the job and house markets are like would be appreciated! 

I vote Newcastle, wonderful beaches, close to the wineries in the Hunter Valley and Port Stephens for the dolphins. I knew several people who lived in Newcastle and commuted all the way to Sydney - they refused to move to Sydney, because they felt Newcastle was a much better place for their families.

I vote Newcastle, wonderful beaches, close to the wineries in the Hunter Valley and Port Stephens for the dolphins. I knew several people who lived in Newcastle and commuted all the way to Sydney - they refused to move to Sydney, because they felt Newcastle was a much better place for their families.

I grew up in Hornsby and loved it.

It's cheaper than inner city Sydney. Comparable with Perth last time I looked.

Hi Ashboyd,

I live in inner Sydney and love it. I travel to Perth monthly but haven't lived there.

It depends on what you are looking for and ranking what's important to you. What about your trip attracted you to Sydney? What is important to you? eg. Size of house, backyard being near a beach, village community. Close to the city and attractions.

The main financial difference between Sydney & Perth is accommodation. Sydney is more expensive and you get a bit less for your money. IME, pretty much everything else is cheaper than Perth (cafes. groceries, entertainment etc)

Sydney has a lot more going on and more soul than Perth (which has beautiful beaches but I find it very quiet and a bit soulless, although I like Freo). I live in Balmain which has a great community village with decent cafes, pubs & restaurants. It's on the harbour (ferries :)) and is very close to the city (5km). I pay $630pw for a large 2 bed unit. A lot of my mates have young kids. You sacrifice space at home for location but there are great parks close by.

Personally, I'd find Wollongong and Newcastle too far away and too quiet but your preferences may be different to mine

Hope this helps. But make a list of what is important to you both, rank it and then posters will be able to narrow down their advice

Archived