Time is running out

Adidasandy

Hi all,

Me, my wife, my youngest child will be staying in Oz but my eldest is coming over with us for 3 weeks to get her visa started then coming back to UK to finish Uni.

We have our visa's granted and have to be in Australia by 23rd April 2016 but we are really struggling getting money together. I have a business to sell which has been on the market for a year now with no success. Just a quick breakdown of what we have worked out, (worsed case)

Flights = £4000

Dog shipping = £5000

Removals = £4000

We are really unsure of how much money we will need once we are there for rent, food etc. We have $9000 AUD ready saved but seems along way off from what we need plus I have no job lined up (heavy diesel fitter) as we have gone with an independant PR visa. Really can't stress how much this feels like it's falling apart.

Depends where you are going in Australia. The amount of rent varies considerably between places and what size of property. If you are food shopping for 2 adults and 1 child, around $150/200 per week Could you leave your dog until you are in a better financial position? That would give you around another $10,000 towards living costs till you get a job. Could you leave your business run by a manager?

AJ, We're heady to Brisbane and could not leave our dogs with anyone. As for having a manager to run my business is not an option as it's a 1 man band op for a skilled HGV fitter. Not too bothered about not selling the business as the assests would sell no bother. We also need about £9000 to get our house ready to sell so it just gets worse.

AJ, We're heady to Brisbane and could not leave our dogs with anyone. As for having a manager to run my business is not an option as it's a 1 man band op for a skilled HGV fitter. Not too bothered about not selling the business as the assests would sell no bother. We also need about £9000 to get our house ready to sell so it just gets worse.

Is it worth not doing the house up and putting it on the market with a price to reflect that? If the market is moving in your area atm it might be worth talking over with an estate agent.

Have you also thought about selling a heap of stuff off and not shipping everything, then buying second hand or some such to get you going here and add over time. We did it that way (shipped our KS bed and a few small items of furniture but other than that, personal effects only) and apart from our sofas, arm chair and TV which we bought new here, just about everything else was bought second hand, Gumtree or buy and sell pages, given to us or picked up off the street for free. Some lovely stuff we've been able to find since arriving.

ETA - Or do as suggested, if you are really not able to make the move and have not validated yet, just make a validation trip and give yourselves a few more years to make the move.

Is it worth not doing the house up and putting it on the market with a price to reflect that? If the market is moving in your area atm it might be worth talking over with an estate agent.

Have you also thought about selling a heap of stuff off and not shipping everything, then buying second hand or some such to get you going here and add over time. We did it that way (shipped our KS bed and a few small items of furniture but other than that, personal effects only) and apart from our sofas, arm chair and TV which we bought new here, just about everything else was bought second hand, Gumtree or buy and sell pages, given to us or picked up off the street for free. Some lovely stuff we've been able to find since arriving.

ETA - Or do as suggested, if you are really not able to make the move and have not validated yet, just make a validation trip and give yourselves a few more years to make the move.

I hear where your coming from but would need a container for my work things but I see what you mean about loosing the things that can be replaced. The house ATM is not worth much at all due to it's condition but once complete it will be worth £30000 more than what we paid for it. Need to work harder I think ;-)

I hear where your coming from but would need a container for my work things but I see what you mean about loosing the things that can be replaced. The house ATM is not worth much at all due to it's condition but once complete it will be worth £30000 more than what we paid for it. Need to work harder I think ;-)

But you'll spend £10,000 to get the house ready and it still might not sell or the market may be slow or you won't get your hoped for price.

If you want to move by the time you've given, somewhere you are going to have to cut costs and not spend and perhaps be prepared for a loss on the house or some such. Else you could still be there a few years down the road.

To be blunt, I would just validate the visas and then start saving.

There is another advantage of this - the Australian economy is currently struggling, jobs are getting harder to find and one of the jobs that is seriously struggling are heavy diesel fitters as mines have laid so many off due to the mining down turn.

So, taking some more time to save some money and wait for the economy to pick back up is probably a wise idea. $9000 is not a lot of cash and at the early stages you leach money getting set up. Deduct, first months rent, a months bond, a few weeks of short term accommodation, purchase of a car and that doesn't leave a lot to live on. You need enough to survive for several months while job hunting. That is several months of paying the rent, paying the bills, putting fuel in the car, eating and generally living.

Archived