Resident Return Visa - Best pathway

toOZ2012

Asking for a friend.

He PR is about to expire soon. He will only have spent 6 months in the last 5 years and doesn't have any significant ties to Australia.

For various reasons, he won't be able to come back in the next 2 years. What are the chances of getting a 157 approved at that time? What can constitute as a compelling reason?

Once he looses his right to come back as a PR - what are his options? Thanks heaps.

The question is, why has he spent so little time in the country? If it was because of work on a resources site (i.e. oil and gas, mining) then there are special exemptions he can claim.

No such luck - he got an offer overseas that he couldn't resist.

No such luck - he got an offer overseas that he couldn't resist.

In that case he made the choice in full awareness of the fact that he wasn't fulfilling the requirements for PR. I assume it's the same job which is going to keep him away for another 2 years.

It's a simple matter of deciding which is more important to him: the job, or his ability to live in Australia. Is he really committed to a long-term future in Oz, or is he just wanting to keep it as a backup plan?

When I got PR way back in the 1980's, if you got PR and let it lapse, you were never allowed to apply again. I'm pretty sure that's not the case now, though, so he'd just have to go back and apply all over again.

As far as I'm aware the resident return visa can only be given to those on PR that have accumulated 2 years in Australia on a PR Visa , considering he hasn't done that he would have to enter Australia before his PR deadline and could live and work here without restrictions until her accumulated 2 years as far as compelling reasons that would be between him and immigration

As far as I'm aware the resident return visa can only be given to those on PR that have accumulated 2 years in Australia on a PR Visa , considering he hasn't done that he would have to enter Australia before his PR deadline and could live and work here without restrictions until her accumulated 2 years as far as compelling reasons that would be between him and immigration

There is also a 1-year option and if all else fails a 3-month option as well.

There is also a 1-year option and if all else fails a 3-month option as well.

Makes no difference though - he still needs to accumulate his two years' residency.

He shouldn't re-apply right now, he would have to wait until he's finally ready to move to Oz to live - otherwise he'll just find himself in the same dilemma again eventually.

Was he asked to leave Australia? That doesn't make sense as only the re-entry permit expires not the PR status.

He initially worked in Australia then took another job overseas, he wasn't paying tax in Australia either, which probably triggered big brother looking at him. They probably looked at his tax records along with his international movements and bank account transactions and decided that he really isn't a resident.

Archived