Tourist/sponsored visa

Arthur

Greetings all,

Firstly can I just say what a great community this is and how very useful some of the information I've read on here has been. So much so it prompted me to register.

So here is my story. I'm 35 year old male currently based in the UK. A year or so ago I met an Aussie girl here and we hit it off straight away and to cut a long story short we've been together ever since. She is a qualified nurse and was here on a working visa for 2 years. Sadly things didn't work out for her professionally here (and they say the NHS is crying out for nurses!?!) and sadly due to a few reasons, that being the main one, she has cut short her stay in the UK and returned back to Melbourne where I'm pleased to say she got work within about 5 minutes of getting back on Australian soil. It was always the plan that she would return home but also that I would follow as my company are in the process of opening an office in that part of the world in the new year and have agreed for me to re-locate out there.

Initially I want to go out and spend Christmas and NY with her and her family so I have applied for a tourist visa for three months.

So now the bad news.....sadly I've had a brush with the law that unfortunately saw me getting a 15 month custodial sentence. I served 5.5 months behind the door and then 3 on tag and the rest on licence. I've read pretty much all there is to read on the net about getting in to Oz with a criminal record so appreciate no one will be able to give me an answer to the question what do you think my chances are as I appreciate all cases are viewed on an individual basis and because my sentence was > 12 months I might struggle even with a tourist visa.

However my question was does anyone know how long there decision making process takes? I applied two weeks and a half weeks ago now and got a response within 24 hours asking me to provide a police certificate. That took about a week to come and I uploaded it straight away to the application along with all of the others bits and bobs they requested. Since then the status has just been sat as application under review or similar.

I'm normally a patient person but I'm missing my girl terribly as she is me. It's hard conducting a relationship over whatsapp/skype especially when I've got in the back of my mind that there is a chance that I may never see her again. Not to mention it being difficult watching the price of flights sky rocket because of the time of year.

Should the scenario turn out to be a positive one for me and I'm granted the tourist visa. I assume that can't do any harm should I apply for a sponsored visa at a later date? I appreciate they are two completely different things and will be treated as such by the immigration people. What sort of timescales on average (if there is such a thing) should I be looking at for finding out about sponsored visas?

Should the scenario be a negative one and I'm refused the tourist visa I believe I have 28 days to appeal before being permanently excluded from Australia? Does anyone know what is involved in the appeal process and how long it would likely take?

Thanks in advance.

Greetings all,

Firstly can I just say what a great community this is and how very useful some of the information I've read on here has been. So much so it prompted me to register.

So here is my story. I'm 35 year old male currently based in the UK. A year or so ago I met an Aussie girl here and we hit it off straight away and to cut a long story short we've been together ever since. She is a qualified nurse and was here on a working visa for 2 years. Sadly things didn't work out for her professionally here (and they say the NHS is crying out for nurses!?!) and sadly due to a few reasons, that being the main one, she has cut short her stay in the UK and returned back to Melbourne where I'm pleased to say she got work within about 5 minutes of getting back on Australian soil. It was always the plan that she would return home but also that I would follow as my company are in the process of opening an office in that part of the world in the new year and have agreed for me to re-locate out there.

Initially I want to go out and spend Christmas and NY with her and her family so I have applied for a tourist visa for three months.

So now the bad news.....sadly I've had a brush with the law that unfortunately saw me getting a 15 month custodial sentence. I served 5.5 months behind the door and then 3 on tag and the rest on licence. I've read pretty much all there is to read on the net about getting in to Oz with a criminal record so appreciate no one will be able to give me an answer to the question what do you think my chances are as I appreciate all cases are viewed on an individual basis and because my sentence was > 12 months I might struggle even with a tourist visa.

However my question was does anyone know how long there decision making process takes? I applied two weeks and a half weeks ago now and got a response within 24 hours asking me to provide a police certificate. That took about a week to come and I uploaded it straight away to the application along with all of the others bits and bobs they requested. Since then the status has just been sat as application under review or similar.

I'm normally a patient person but I'm missing my girl terribly as she is me. It's hard conducting a relationship over whatsapp/skype especially when I've got in the back of my mind that there is a chance that I may never see her again. Not to mention it being difficult watching the price of flights sky rocket because of the time of year.

Should the scenario turn out to be a positive one for me and I'm granted the tourist visa. I assume that can't do any harm should I apply for a sponsored visa at a later date? I appreciate they are two completely different things and will be treated as such by the immigration people. What sort of timescales on average (if there is such a thing) should I be looking at for finding out about sponsored visas?

Should the scenario be a negative one and I'm refused the tourist visa I believe I have 28 days to appeal before being permanently excluded from Australia? Does anyone know what is involved in the appeal process and how long it would likely take?

Thanks in advance.

This is a very difficult one because on the face of it you'll not meet the character requirements and the likelihood of you getting into australia are slim, even on a tourist visa.

How long ago were you in prison? If it's not recent, then you may have a shot.

This is a very difficult one because on the face of it you'll not meet the character requirements and the likelihood of you getting into australia are slim, even on a tourist visa.

How long ago were you in prison? If it's not recent, then you may have a shot.

Not really what I wanted to hear but kinda what I expected. It was two years ago so pretty recent.

Not really what I wanted to hear but kinda what I expected. It was two years ago so pretty recent.

Yes, it is unfortunately. They are fairly strict about these things and it isn't a decision that could normally be made by a visa processing officer so it would have to go up to a senior immigration official and that is likely to take some time.

I feel for you. My niece had a similar experience - she worked for a large company in the UK and as part of her job, she spent a lot of time in New York. She was very excited when she was offered a big promotion - but it meant she had to move to the New York office. After a lot of to-ing and fro-ing, she had to turn it down - because there was no way her oh would ever be allowed to enter the US due to a similar short sentence in his early twenties.

I believe Australia is similarly strict unfortunately.

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update. The Immigration people got back to me exactly one calendar month after I gave them my police certificate. They've passed my case over to Visa Applicant Character Consideration Unit (VACCU) in Melbourne.

Having searched on here for VACCU I see that it can take a considerable amount of time for them to get back to people applying for longer/permanent visas. Does anyone have any idea if I should be expecting an equally as long wait for a tourist visa? I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that I won't make it out for Christmas as per the original plan but just want to manage my own and my girlfriends expectations. We are of course fully aware that there is a good chance it might come back as an out right no but I'd rather just know than not.

Thanks in advance.

I feel for you. My niece had a similar experience - she worked for a large company in the UK and as part of her job, she spent a lot of time in New York. She was very excited when she was offered a big promotion - but it meant she had to move to the New York office. After a lot of to-ing and fro-ing, she had to turn it down - because there was no way her oh would ever be allowed to enter the US due to a similar short sentence in his early twenties.

I believe Australia is similarly strict unfortunately.

Until the last year or so Australia has been much more lenient than the USA - and they still have more "wiggle room". With the US a NO is a no for life on many things, especially drugs. Australia seems to at least still take more of a case by case approach.

Quick update. The Immigration people got back to me exactly one calendar month after I gave them my police certificate. They've passed my case over to Visa Applicant Character Consideration Unit (VACCU) in Melbourne.

Having searched on here for VACCU I see that it can take a considerable amount of time for them to get back to people applying for longer/permanent visas. Does anyone have any idea if I should be expecting an equally as long wait for a tourist visa? I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that I won't make it out for Christmas as per the original plan but just want to manage my own and my girlfriends expectations. We are of course fully aware that there is a good chance it might come back as an out right no but I'd rather just know than not.

Thanks in advance.

I think that it's a plus that your case has been handed over to the consideration unit, as it shows that they are doing things properly and that your case will be heard.

I don't suppose you wrote a grovelling letter explaining the error of your ways, first offence, will be a good boy, need to be with your girlfriend etc? There have been many cases that have been successful because an applicant has done that.

I don't know the specifics of the offences committed by these other applicants and couldn't comment on your own particular case, but a letter to the VACCU couldn't make it any worse and actually it might help.

I think that it's a plus that your case has been handed over to the consideration unit, as it shows that they are doing things properly and that your case will be heard.

I don't suppose you wrote a grovelling letter explaining the error of your ways, first offence, will be a good boy, need to be with your girlfriend etc? There have been many cases that have been successful because an applicant has done that.

I don't know the specifics of the offences committed by these other applicants and couldn't comment on your own particular case, but a letter to the VACCU couldn't make it any worse and actually it might help.

Thanks Captain.

Along with the police certificate they asked for a explanation to my offence where I stated how remorseful I was and how it had such a negative impact on my life.

I don't want to seem like I'm answering my own questions but this may be of use to someone else in a similar situation.

They emailed me overnight with the following

The Australian government recently made changes to law and policy relating to visa processing of persons of character concern, reflecting the high priority the government places on protecting the Australian community from the risk of harm. At present, cases are taking at least six months to finalise, reflecting the global nature of our caseload and the necessary attention which must be afforded to each individual case.

So no Christmas in Oz for me. :frown:

• 1 month later...

Hi Arthur,

I am in a very similar boat, I have a criminal record and have a post on "posinoz" - http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/241144-will-my-criminal-conviction-allowed.html#post1936851607 (if you would like to read that, may give you more of an insight as i have tried to update my process along the way).

I just wanted to add that I got an email from the VACCU which that my application had been processed and there isn't a time frame of when this will be finalised. However I never received an email stating that it may take up to 6 months... (I received mine on the 30th of November and I am still waiting)

I wish you all the best in receiving you visa bud!

Regards,

Barrystock

• 2 months later...
Hi Arthur,

I am in a very similar boat, I have a criminal record and have a post on "posinoz" - http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/241144-will-my-criminal-conviction-allowed.html#post1936851607 (if you would like to read that, may give you more of an insight as i have tried to update my process along the way).

I just wanted to add that I got an email from the VACCU which that my application had been processed and there isn't a time frame of when this will be finalised. However I never received an email stating that it may take up to 6 months... (I received mine on the 30th of November and I am still waiting)

I wish you all the best in receiving you visa bud!

Regards,

Barrystock

Hi Barrystock,

Apologies for the late reply I have only just seen your post. Unfortunately my visa was rejected this morning. I can't say I'm surprised but to say I'm heartbroken is an understatement.

That said having read your thread there are some major differences between our cases. My offence did involve violence and I did get a custodial sentence of 15 months. So don't give up hope.

For the record I submitted my application 15th October, it was passed to VACCU on the 27th November and I got my decision 30th March.

Only option I appear to have now is my partner can appeal the decision. As it was noted in the report that she will suffer no hardship with me not being there I really don't see the point.

Best of luck to yourself.

Hi Barrystock,

Apologies for the late reply I have only just seen your post. Unfortunately my visa was rejected this morning. I can't say I'm surprised but to say I'm heartbroken is an understatement.

That said having read your thread there are some major differences between our cases. My offence did involve violence and I did get a custodial sentence of 15 months. So don't give up hope.

For the record I submitted my application 15th October, it was passed to VACCU on the 27th November and I got my decision 30th March.

Only option I appear to have now is my partner can appeal the decision. As it was noted in the report that she will suffer no hardship with me not being there I really don't see the point.

Best of luck to yourself.

Hi Arthur,

I've been silently following your thread and I'm saddened with your news. You and your partner must be devastated. Did you get a notice of intent to refuse your visa or did they just outright reject you? Also in your rejection letter did they indicate that you could appeal? Lastly is there a ban period where you can only try to apply for a tourist visa after a certain number of years from March 30, 2016?

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Arthur,

I've been silently following your thread and I'm saddened with your news. You and your partner must be devastated. Did you get a notice of intent to refuse your visa or did they just outright reject you? Also in your rejection letter did they indicate that you could appeal? Lastly is there a ban period where you can only try to apply for a tourist visa after a certain number of years from March 30, 2016?

Hi Perthling,

Again apologies for the late reply. Yes it's very upsetting for both of us. We spent new year together in Thailand and we've just had a week together in Italy. But as futile as it may seem I'm not giving up hope just yet. Yes they gave me notice that VACCU had been advised to reject. Yes we could have appealed, well my gf could have done from Oz but as the report I got (40 pages!! They are very thorough....no wonder it takes so long!) said my gf would suffer no substantial hardship from me not being in Oz we decided it probably would have been a waste of time and money for a visa that was only for 3 months and meant for a visit at Christmas.

I asked about whether I could apply for a visa again and the response I got back was

The refusal decision does not prevent you from lodging future visa applications for Australia.

Each application submitted is considered on its own individual merits.

Please note the delegate will consider a variety of factors such as the type of visa, length of proposed say, type of offending, recency of offending, overall risk to the Australian community, protection of the Australian community and family ties.

It is entirely your decision should you wish to lodge an application for another tourist visa or work visa, however please note it is possible that the application could result in an unfavourable outcome.

So we'll keep plugging away.

• 5 months later...

Hi everyone. I am seeking information regarding visitor/tourist /family sponsor visa 600 information. If anyone know anything related to this please ,please share.

let me explain my situation first

Me n my wife both are permanent residence. My wife doesn't has any job now, she is 6 months pregnant now.my mother in law wants to come over here from Bangladesh to look after my wife on delivery time, which is due on feb-2017 for 45-60 days.

My queries are-

1. Which exact visa subclass I should apply for and which form/s will requires for that?

2. Should I or my wife apply from my immi account for my mother-in-law?in that case any additional form need to be filled up by the applicant?

3. How many days earlier should I apply?

4.So far I know , if I apply for family sponsored visa ,CO might ask for upto $15000 as bond.in that case, can I use my credit card and get refund to my savings account?

5. Does she needs a medical insurance for those days?

6.Here is the list which I am planning to arrange, please correct me if I don't need some of these or need to add any other documents-

a.Mother in laws passport , national id , birth certificate, property owner documents,police clearance

b. Photograph

c.filled up application form/online form

d.my wife's pr +passport, public exam certificate where her moms name on it

e.doctors report mentioning baby's due date

f.our marriage certificate, my bank statement, my payslip, invitation letter

Thank you

Hi everyone. I am seeking information regarding visitor/tourist /family sponsor visa 600 information. If anyone know anything related to this please ,please share.

let me explain my situation first

Me n my wife both are permanent residence. My wife doesn't has any job now, she is 6 months pregnant now.my mother in law wants to come over here from Bangladesh to look after my wife on delivery time, which is due on feb-2017 for 45-60 days.

My queries are-

1. Which exact visa subclass I should apply for and which form/s will requires for that?

2. Should I or my wife apply from my immi account for my mother-in-law?in that case any additional form need to be filled up by the applicant?

3. How many days earlier should I apply?

4.So far I know , if I apply for family sponsored visa ,CO might ask for upto $15000 as bond.in that case, can I use my credit card and get refund to my savings account?

5. Does she needs a medical insurance for those days?

6.Here is the list which I am planning to arrange, please correct me if I don't need some of these or need to add any other documents-

a.Mother in laws passport , national id , birth certificate, property owner documents,police clearance

b. Photograph

c.filled up application form/online form

d.my wife's pr +passport, public exam certificate where her moms name on it

e.doctors report mentioning baby's due date

f.our marriage certificate, my bank statement, my payslip, invitation letter

Thank you

You might be better off posting this on a new thread rather than tagging on the end of one discussing criminal records. Just a thought.

Archived