The Proposed Australian GST rise.

Guest Guest66881

Guest Guest66881

Looking at the way things go here, the tax hike will probably go ahead, copying the New Zealand tax model by all accounts.

I wonder if the new increase will see the end to other taxes some how i very much doubt it, do you?

I was reading today that unless all states agree (or are negative towards it) it can go ahead

But Queensland and Victoria were against it for now

This is the latest news on it here

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/news/breaking-news/gst-hike-would-raise-extra-656b-model/story-fnjbnvyk-1227590336802

Sourced from reading the paper not found via google

Guest Guest66881
WA government seems against it, until we get more than the 30c in the $1 back.

Once that's agreed, I'm sure the politicians will be full steam ahead.

Well, it's not their money to waste is it?

That is poor form though isn't it.

That is poor form though isn't it.

Just a little.

But WA had been a receiver of money from the East for a long time before, so it's fair we pay some back when we are doing well.

But 30c is quite harsh.

Seems we are just a cash cow to be milked to help the others through their hard times. The problem is we are not as cash rich now the ore prices have dropped.

So how long do we prop the rest up, seeing that the BOOM is over now?

About 66 years....the same length of time the rest propped up WA (1942 - 2008). :wink:

1942 was when the Federal government took over responsibility for income tax and dishing it out to the states. Before that WA struggled along by itself - "the poor white trash" of Australia, some said...and not nearly as wealthy as the eastern states.

About 66 years....the same length of time the rest propped up WA (1942 - 2008). :wink:

1942 was when the Federal government took over responsibility for income tax and dishing it out to the states. Before that WA struggled along by itself - "the poor white trash" of Australia, some said...and not nearly as wealthy as the eastern states.

Probably go by actual "support" received + reasonable interest minus the 70% WA is forced to give :)

Any changes will only be introduced if taken to the next Federal election and a mandate from the people.

I think we need to do something like this to get the budget back under control.

I doubt they will make such a large change proposal though.

I'd be in favour of keeping the 10% rate but applying it to everything. No exclusions.

Oh come on, you lot in Perth, you don't really mind us poor country South Australians getting a chunk of your money....do you??:biglaugh:

By all means. We'll lend it to you at an affordable 14% interest rate. Or why not ask your fiance NT. Oh wait - we support both you guys :)

By all means. We'll lend it to you at an affordable 14% interest rate. Or why not ask your fiance NT. Oh wait - we support both you guys :)

Yeh we'll pay it back when manufacturing takes off here again....or when we get the Submarine contract....oh wait, that's been promised to Japan! My bad :wink:

Archived