Do you have a favourite Sydney beach? I've decided to swim every day for the next six months.

MARYROSE02

Not sure if its classed as a "Sydney Beach" but Palm Beach is one of my favourite beaches ive ever been to, not just in australia.

The cliff walk from coogee to bondi passes through some lovely ones too.

Palm Beach is a Sydney beach, (I think) the most northerly one. I just spent a few minutes Googling Mackerel Beach and Coasters Retreat west of Palm Beach, neither of which I've ever been to. Earlier this year, after an doctor's appointment south of Coogee, I followed a road down to the sea and found a path I did not know about, which I assume goes from Coogee to Maroubra. I've never done that in its entirety. I had a swim that day, not so much a beach as a rock pool.

Ivor Rowe Rock Pool - that is the one I mentioned above - just Googled Little Bay, and then found a link to the baths in the Randwick Council area, along with the Mahon Pool at Maroubra which always makes me think of Menorce.

http://www.randwick.nsw.gov.au/facilities-and-recreation/beaches-and-coast/ocean-pools

Wattamolla to jump off the waterfall

Camp Cove

Balmoral

Little Bay

Bronte

Bilgola

I just Googled Little Bay as I don't think I've ever been there. I've driven around the new development on the site of the hospital there, but never realized there's a beach, so something to investigate.

I don't have private transport going to these beaches- are they accessible by bus from randwick?

The two calm paddling beaches I mentioned (Palm Beach on the Pittwater side, and Balmoral) are both accessible by a regular bus from the CBD.

And there are regular buses from Randwick to the CBD.

Basically any harbour beach or other sheltered beach will normally be calm and suitable for paddling and children swimming. And any ocean beach is normally rougher and good for surfing or strong swimmers.

• 1 month later...

Warriewood, North Palm (ocean side), Bilgola, Freshwater, Balmoral, Clontarf, the one on the Spit-Manly walk that's not Forty Baskets Beach, at the bottom of Dobroyd Head (can't remember the name), Camp Cove, Shark Bay, Milk Beach in Vaucluse, Clovelly, most of the deserted ones in Royal National Park......

There are tons

Out of Sydney there are stacks on the north and south coasts that are to die for

Not bad, is it? :)

Actively dislike Dee Why, Bondi, Collaroy/South Narrabeen. I'm not big on windswept but make an exception for Palm because the setting is peerless

:)

Maryrose.

I have just seen a book that may interest and assist you on your endeavor:

http://www.booktopia.com.au/wild-swimming-sydney-australia-sally-tertini/prod9781910636046.html

Wild Swimming Sydney by Sally Tertini and Steve Pollard.

There is a feature on it in Australian Natural Health magazine (Dec 2015 - Jan 2016)

Thanks for that. At the moment I'm fixated on Bronte which has just installed a new illuminated clock above the change room near the pool. (I usually leave phone and wallet in the car.) I had swim at 2140 on Sat. The pool is lit till 10pm.

I did go to Parsley Bay last week, which is one of my rarer swimming spots.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

Warriewood, North Palm (ocean side), Bilgola, Freshwater, Balmoral, Clontarf, the one on the Spit-Manly walk that's not Forty Baskets Beach, at the bottom of Dobroyd Head (can't remember the name), Camp Cove, Shark Bay, Milk Beach in Vaucluse, Clovelly, most of the deserted ones in Royal National Park......

There are tons

Out of Sydney there are stacks on the north and south coasts that are to die for

Not bad, is it? :)

Actively dislike Dee Why, Bondi, Collaroy/South Narrabeen. I'm not big on windswept but make an exception for Palm because the setting is peerless

:)

My nephew posted photo of figure "8" shaped pool in I think the RNP.

I keep meaning to do the walk to Manly from The Spit. I did it a long time ago early 90s, maybe even late 80s

I did walk as far as Clontarf for a swim left year, loving it so much I left it too late and walked back to Spit in the dark.

I'm due a nostalgic drive to Narrabeen and maybe further

Looking back I lived there twice in the 80's but I never really put roots down the way I have in Surry Hills. I wish I'd been brought up from a kid in Narrabeen.

• 3 weeks later...
My nephew posted photo of figure "8" shaped pool in I think the RNP.

I keep meaning to do the walk to Manly from The Spit. I did it a long time ago early 90s, maybe even late 80s

I did walk as far as Clontarf for a swim left year, loving it so much I left it too late and walked back to Spit in the dark.

I'm due a nostalgic drive to Narrabeen and maybe further

Looking back I lived there twice in the 80's but I never really put roots down the way I have in Surry Hills. I wish I'd been brought up from a kid in Narrabeen.

Figure 8 pool isn`t really such a great swimming spot but it`s a great hiking destination. The pool is only accessible at low tide. It`s in RNP, walking from Garrawarra farm to Burning palms beach.

My favorite swimming spots are : Wattamola in RNP

Darook Park in south Cronulla

Shelly beach in Manly

Bonnie Vale, Hordens, Jibbon - all in Bundeena

nice swimming and kayaing spot is between Bundeena and Maianbar on the walking track

Winnifred falls, RNP

It`s fairly obvious that I live in the south :wink:

I've not been on a bush walk for a long time, something I miss from England, walking or cycling from my front door to "the bush" in five or ten mins.

Just arrived at Bronte at 10 to 9 pm to see if the pool is ok to swim in I've been stuck inside all day. If the water is rough it breaks into the pool.

Archived