Leaving oz, what to do with car seat at the airport

MattandAsh

Hi,

I've been off the forum for a few years, long enough to forget my username.

Have been in Australia for the last 4 years but will be making the move home in December. We'll be selling both our cars next month and using a hire car for the last couple of weeks, hopefully.

Question is what do people do with their car seats when they're leaving the country. I can't give it away to anyone before we leave as I can't get to the airport.

Any suggestions?

thanks

matt

Hire companies usually charge for one so either just leave yours in the hire car or see if the airline will take it - it is free with most but not all (some it's free if within your overall weight allowance) - you can always dispose of it at the airport if they don't.

It's a while ago now, but we sold ours at one of the kids' 'preloved' clothing and equipment shops. We hired a seat through a separate company, but it'd be easier to just use one of the car hire company's.

You can then hire one with a car here.

We were lucky when we were moving to Aus - someone who came to view our house had just returned from Perth, so we swapped theirs for our UK one!

• 2 weeks later...

I'd hire car seats with the car. Sell or give away your ones.

Fwiw they will not be legal in the UK as not EU passed and also the fitting is different using tether points and top tether. Plus plenty of good car seats on the market in the UK.

I'd hire car seats with the car. Sell or give away your ones.

Fwiw they will not be legal in the UK as not EU passed and also the fitting is different using tether points and top tether. Plus plenty of good car seats on the market in the UK.

Alot of the time the only difference between a uk and aus carseat are the stickers and the top tether.

So, i just added a top tether off an old booster of my sisters and the uk maxicosy was identical to the aussie maxicosy of a friend down the road.

The nice thing about having a friend with the identical seat was that it was easy to see how the top tether threaded through to become secure.

Alot of the time the only difference between a uk and aus carseat are the stickers and the top tether.

So, i just added a top tether off an old booster of my sisters and the uk maxicosy was identical to the aussie maxicosy of a friend down the road.

The nice thing about having a friend with the identical seat was that it was easy to see how the top tether threaded through to become secure.

However, should you be unlucky enough to be in a major accident that missing sticker could be enough reason for your insurance to be invalidated for driving with an unapproved restraint -- which is also illegal. At a minimum it would be reason enough for your or the other parties insurance company to wriggle out of paying the medical costs of the poor tot sat in it. Too much of a risk for me..

Archived