457 sponsorship

Todd1980

Hi All,

I am new to this website and i am hoping it will be of great use, here is my problem.

I have been wanting to Immigrate to Australia for years and finally took the step 1 year ago, i decided to use an immigration agent due to my lack of knowledge of visa´s and he recommended applying for citizenship right off the bat.. so i have been having to do the IELTS exam due to lack of points on my application and messing around with this stressful and COSTLY method. I am a plumber and been in the trade for 14 yrs, i am English but currently living and working in Norway.

I am interested in going for the 457 Sponsorship visa and wondering how the best way to approach it is?? I have contacted some plumbing companies and sent my cv but wondering if there is a site dedicated to 457 visa sponsorship jobs?

Any advice would be fantastic.

Todd:wink:

Hi Todd,

It is a case of spending a lot of time online searching as far as I can tell. Indeed and seek seem to be the two main job sites although there are others. I just search under chef sponsorship jobs Australia, or similar. There are some agencies that might be worth approaching.

I am pretty certain there were some plumbing jobs with sponsorship under the job vacancies on this site, but I can't be certain as I am focused on chef jobs.

If you can I would recommend trying for 1886 / 187 visas as they have permanent residence and are still sponsored by a company.

Some professions require a skills assessment for a 457 but I don't think you will need a medical.

Good luck.

Laura

I have been wanting to Immigrate to Australia for years and finally took the step 1 year ago, i decided to use an immigration agent due to my lack of knowledge of visa´s and he recommended applying for citizenship right off the bat.. so i have been having to do the IELTS exam due to lack of points on my application and messing around with this stressful and COSTLY method. I am a plumber and been in the trade for 14 yrs, i am English but currently living and working in Norway.

I am interested in going for the 457 Sponsorship visa and wondering how the best way to approach it is?? I have contacted some plumbing companies and sent my cv but wondering if there is a site dedicated to 457 visa sponsorship jobs?

I think you mean permanent residency (PR), not citizenship!

All migration is costly I'm afraid! If you are eligible for PR, it is by far the best method to go for, because it's "real" migration - you come to Australia, you can work anywhere and at any job you like, and can stay as long as you like.

The drawback of a 457 sponsorship is that you're sponsored to come to Australia for a temp job. At the end of that temporary contract, the employer has to pay your fare back to Norway - you don't have any right to stay in Australia, unless the employer decides he'd like to sponsor you for PR. So it's very possible that in two years, you'll be back where you started.

You may have heard people say that once you've been on a 457 for two years, you can become a permanent resident - that's a myth. Your employer can sponsor you for PR, but he's under no obligation to do so.

Edited by Marisawright

Hi All,

I am new to this website and i am hoping it will be of great use, here is my problem.

Any advice would be fantastic.

Todd:wink:

There are no websites for 457 sponsorship, that would be outrageous when there are so many unemployed in Australia. Can you imagine if there was a website in the U.K. dedicated to bringing in overseas workers? If you are happy to take the risk of a temporary visa then continuing to do what you are doing is the only way to proceed. But 457 sponsorships are uncommon for trades, especially those that will need licensing.

All permanent visas are costly, actually most cost about the same, so even if you did get a 457 visa you would still have the costs of the permanent visa down the line if you do come to apply for one of those. So actually you spend more on visas altogether.

My advice would be to persevere with the skilled migration visa process.