Refrigeration & Air-conditioning

Guest ac man

Guest ac man

Hi,

I have read on this forum about the Plumbers and Electricians having to go back to College to get their licence/certificates to start trading and to also be told that they are going to get paid a low wage for first year or so.

As I am trained in Plumbing, Refrigeration and Mechanical Services my agent received our TRA back with the Refrigeration/Air-conditioning Mechanic as being a pass from the TRA.

Do I now need like the Plumbers and Electricians to go back and re-train for the above i.e. what I passed my TRA on?

Also are there any Refrigeration/air-con engineers out there in Australia that have had trouble finding work, and furthermore being paid a poor salary? Did you have to go back to college to re-train?

Any info on helping me before I actually get there would be appreciated.

My agent at the time of applying did not advice me that I would have to re-train.

Thank you for your help

AC MAN :cool:

Guest Liz and Paul

Hi,

My OH is an Aircon Engineer, he passed TRA on this and when we got here he applied for his ARTC but did not get it automatically and they have asked him to do a trade test for them to assess his abilities, which costs $270, we are just waiting for a date and further info on it at mo.

He is working as an Airconditioning Technician and was offered a job with another Company also without the ARTC and without the Restricted Electrical License, so you shouldn't have any trouble getting a job without them, think both these companies asked for it in advert but at interview said it didn't matter, however there may be a few Companies that insist on these.

We left it until we were here to apply for the ARTC - you can apply for it while still in the UK, which is what we should have done as Paul applied for the ARTC in February and still hasn't been able to do the test!

Will keep you updated on trade test info.

Liz

Guest ac man

LIZ, Kind of you to answer me thank you.

Has your OH found work relatively easy to find since being in Australia? Is the pay good or bad in your opinion? I think what I would like to know is that, will I be able to feed and have a nice life for a family of four with my trade in the Brisbane area?

As you say it may be best if I try and look into doing the ARTC whilst here, can it be done on-line then?

So much to think of eh!!

Good luck to your husband and yes please keep me updated on how he is getting along.

Dal

Guest Liz and Paul

Hi,

Most companies are pretty quiet during the winter months, but there's loads of work over here in this trade and its very hectic in the summer season.

Do you do install or service? Pay is good for what you do, but on the Gold Coast no-one works more than 40 hours a week, so there's no overtime. I work 8-4.30 Mon-Fri, very laid back style of working. Liz doesn't work and we get by.

If you google ARTC, you can e-mail them for an application form - the form is very similar to the TRA forms and you have to submit all your work evidence and certificates again, think you can only apply once you have your visa as I had to photocopy my visa page and send it to them.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Guest ac man

Hi Paul,

Similar to here then as I am really busy in Summer and the Winter months do quiten abit. Although generally loads of o/time in the summer.

I can do service and install have and still work on both. Like your hours of work!

I will take a look at the ARTC web page, at the moment I do not have my visa, I applied for it in November so am hoping it will be with us shortly as would like to be in Australia this year.

I suppose like alot of other people it is the work situation that can be the worry, I have read alot on this forum and there does not appear to be that many Refrigeration/Air-Con people on here, unless I am missing them, so not that much feedback on this trade.

It's good to hear from you Paul and to know that you do have work. Will the ARTC give you better job prospects once you have it? I assume it will.

Thanks to you and Liz for the info, it is a great help

P.S. I worked for a big refrigeration company here in the UK and did my work experience and training with them, I have not been to college and got formal qualifications for my trade as such. I have 8 years in commercial refrigeration and been doing air/con for pass 3 years. Previously I did Plumbing & Mechanical Services. Will the not having formal qualifications apart from gas handling be a problem for me seeking work due to the fact that I have passed the TRA?

I know its alot to take in but any info would be helpful

Thanks again Dal

Guest Gollywobbler

Hello AC Man

The skill you have passed the TRA for is here:

Refrigeration and Air-conditioning Mechanic 4312-11 - Australian Skills Recognition Information

The other possibilities you have mentioned are on this list:

A-Z Occupations List - Australian Skills Recognition Information

If it were me, I would contact the ARTC, the authority in the relevant trade and also the Trade Association in the relevant State. Even if you hear the same info 3 times, it is better than missing a potentially vital piece of the jigsaw, I reckon.

Which visa have you applied for?

Best wishes

Gill

Hi Paul,

Similar to here then as I am really busy in Summer and the Winter months do quiten abit. Although generally loads of o/time in the summer.

I can do service and install have and still work on both. Like your hours of work!

I will take a look at the ARTC web page, at the moment I do not have my visa, I applied for it in November so am hoping it will be with us shortly as would like to be in Australia this year.

I suppose like alot of other people it is the work situation that can be the worry, I have read alot on this forum and there does not appear to be that many Refrigeration/Air-Con people on here, unless I am missing them, so not that much feedback on this trade.

It's good to hear from you Paul and to know that you do have work. Will the ARTC give you better job prospects once you have it? I assume it will.

Thanks to you and Liz for the info, it is a great help

P.S. I worked for a big refrigeration company here in the UK and did my work experience and training with them, I have not been to college and got formal qualifications for my trade as such. I have 8 years in commercial refrigeration and been doing air/con for pass 3 years. Previously I did Plumbing & Mechanical Services. Will the not having formal qualifications apart from gas handling be a problem for me seeking work due to the fact that I have passed the TRA?

I know its alot to take in but any info would be helpful

Thanks again Dal

You really do need to contact the Trade Association in the state you want to go to - there have been a number of folk on this and other boards whose skills are in demand and who have been trained by big organizations on the job in UK but who cannot get work because they dont have the relevant certificates. Only the Association is going to be able to say for sure that your training is acceptable but they are a tad hung up on formal qualifications here and unless your training has been registered and certificated in some way they may say that it is not enough. Give them a call and then get their decision in writing.

Guest ac man

Thank you for your answers.

I did start an apprenticeship and went to college but never finished the course as my work place could never afford me not to be at work, therefore my training ended up being 'on the job'.

As part of the TRA you have to prove the training part, a letter was received from my old employers to back this up, it was good enough to pass the TRA but from what I read on here maybe not good enough to get a job in Australia. It is such a shame as you would think that if you pass a skills assesment here via Australia TRA people , then it would be good enough to be your reference (so to speak) for you to get employment when in Australia.

Gill, I have applied for a 175 Visa and am looking to go to Brisbane.

Thank you

Dal

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...
Hi,

I have read on this forum about the Plumbers and Electricians having to go back to College to get their licence/certificates to start trading and to also be told that they are going to get paid a low wage for first year or so.

As I am trained in Plumbing, Refrigeration and Mechanical Services my agent received our TRA back with the Refrigeration/Air-conditioning Mechanic as being a pass from the TRA.

Do I now need like the Plumbers and Electricians to go back and re-train for the above i.e. what I passed my TRA on?

Also are there any Refrigeration/air-con engineers out there in Australia that have had trouble finding work, and furthermore being paid a poor salary? Did you have to go back to college to re-train?

Any info on helping me before I actually get there would be appreciated.

My agent at the time of applying did not advice me that I would have to re-train.

Thank you for your help

AC MAN :cool:

Hi Mate,

Im looking at emigrating next year from the Uk and looking to go into the refrigeration industry myself in Sydney. It wont be on the skill visa as my wife is australian. Im hoping to get some experience under my belt before i come over but it might not be the case. Im studying a diploma in ac and refrigertaion along with gaining the city and guilds certificates. How did you get on are you working in australia now? Thanks.

Archived