Welcome to Surry Hills, home of the most privileged people in Sydney - and me!

MARYROSE02

I've been around Surry Hills since 1981 when I worked at the old Redfern Mail Exchange on the corners of Chalmers, Cleveland and Pitt Streets, Redfern for three years, whilst living elsewhere, then I bought my unit in 1987 in Elizabeth Street, Surry Hills. If I hadn't gone back to England for a twelve year "holiday" in 1996, I would have been in Surry Hills ever since, and I'm still in the same unit.

I first moved here because I couldn't cope with commuting to Garden Island Dockyard from Narrabeen and I wanted a place to live within walking distance to Garden Island. For that reason, I started looking around Potts Point and Kings Cross just "up the hill" from Garden Island, but then chose this unit because it was so nice, though almost too far from Garden Island as it took me about 45 minutes to walk it.

I've posted a few websites which give a flavour of Surry Hills, which has been both a desirable and an undesirable place to live, often at the same time. The "Dictionary of Sydney" website gives a good "potted" history of Surry Hills since "we" arrived in 1788, and the other websites are a mixture of laudatory and damning.

I like living here because I can walk everywhere, including to the city, though I also have excellent public transport links from buses outside my door to the main station at Central less than ten minutes walk away. I have a car, an old (1993) Corolla with over 330 000 km on the clock, which I mostly use to drive to whichever beach takes my fancy - the harbour beaches of Red Leaf, Nielsen Park, Parsley Bay and Watsons Bay, 5 to 13 km away, or the ocean beaches at Bronte and Clovelly, and occasionally Bondi and Coogee, all about 7km from my home.

Surry Hills today is a mixture of trendy and nasty, with "cool" Crown Street with its cafes, bars, restaurants, and specialty shops, but only a couple of minutes walk from "The Northcott" a.k.a. "The Ice Tower", 14 storeys of one of the ugliest buildings in Sydney, and home to 1,000 people, most of whom are on benefits, mostly "nice" people like my friend Alex who lives on the 6th floor, but with some decidedly dodgy characters. Alex has a lovely flat but I hate going into the building, and it looms malignantly over the entire area.

I would not live anywhere else

http://dictionaryofsydney.org/entry/surry_hills

http://www.surrey-hills.com.au/

http://www.urbanwalkabout.com/sydney/surryhills/

http://www.sydney.com/destinations/sydney/inner-sydney/surry-hills

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/city-east/surry-hills-public-housing-tenant-says-extra-rent-does-not-include-faeces-vomit-and-syringes/story-fngr8h22-1226721897560

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/city-east/surry-hills-public-housing-tenant-says-extra-rent-does-not-include-faeces-vomit-and-syringes/story-fngr8h22-1226721897560

http://www.redwatch.org.au/media/090804ssha

http://www.abc.net.au/arts/sundayafternoon/programs/s1491243.htm

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Highrising-renovation/2004/11/22/1100972324057.html

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/arts/public-housing-private-hell/story-e6frg8n6-1111112988132

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sounds nice, I'm jealous!

Less than a ten minute walk from your hostel, "Wake Up", over Pitt Street, or perhaps George Street, (Your hostel is right on the point there the two streets meet), through the tunnel under Central railway, out at the bottom of Devonshire Street, walk up Devonshire Street, ignoring all the pubs, bars and cafes, to Crown Street, then turn left or right. Right takes you to Cleveland Street, plenty of restaurants and cafes on this part of Crown Street, or left and more restaurants and cafes, plus many speciality shops, and if you keep walking till your reach Oxford Street about where Surry Hills becomes Darlinghurst, you could turn left again, into Liverpool Street, by Hyde Park, carry on down to George Street, and turn left again back to your hostel, maybe five kilometres at most, and in Oxford Street you can get a bus back to Eddy Ave, Central. And if you turn right into Oxford Street from Crown Street, better go get a bus as it's uphill, you can go to Paddington and Woolahra, and ultimately to Bondi Beach.

I have lived in Sydney for 20 years. First time I EVER went to Surrey Hills was in 2014. Yep you read that right. Just had no need to go there prior, and also it use to have the reputation as a bit "rough and ready" in the early days. But my naturopath has moved there; so I go there regularly now. I like a restaurant called Nourishing Quarter in nearby Redfern which has amazing vegan cheesecake. Personally I would absolutely detest living in the inner-city. But if I had to live in the city, Surry Hills would be my choice too. Close to everything, friendly locals and has some fantastic cafes and bars.

I have lived in Sydney for 20 years. First time I EVER went to Surrey Hills was in 2014. Yep you read that right. Just had no need to go there prior, and also it use to have the reputation as a bit "rough and ready" in the early days. But my naturopath has moved there; so I go there regularly now. I like a restaurant called Nourishing Quarter in nearby Redfern which has amazing vegan cheesecake. Personally I would absolutely detest living in the inner-city. But if I had to live in the city, Surry Hills would be my choice too. Close to everything, friendly locals and has some fantastic cafes and bars.

I must try Nourishing Quarter. Though I'll pass on the naturopath.

I used to enjoy picking suburbs at random, either going there by train or car, then exploring them. I always found something interesting to see.

Where do you live?

Maryrose, have you read Ruth Park's books about life in Surry Hills when it was considered an inner city slum. She wrote Harp In The South in 1948.

I did read it a while ago. At my UNSW graduation ceremony she got an honourary degree. I must read it again or perhaps write my own Surry Hills story as I have a title!

"Down and almost out in Surry Hills!"

I noticed a cafe job in Surry hills, I'm going to be your new housemate [emoji23]

Which Cafe? One outside my flat went bust last week. I was devestated.

If I had spare room I might do it. I talked to German couple in pub just now. Strawbo, who are in AirBnb room in Buckingham St behind pub (where Cafe I had lunch in today Cook and Archies who or whom had staff wanted a few weeks back.

I dunno which cafe, was just on gumtree lol. Me and you would probably end up killing each other if I shared with you [emoji23]

Women it's true do tend to get the s@@ts with me, though nothing to do with political views."61 going on 18" my last brief fling described me and not as a compliment.

But I'm mostly easy going, and though I may joke about sexism, I like looking after myself, though I LOATHE Hoovering and ironing. I get on well with most of the ladies I see in the cafes and bars of Surry Hills.

Relationship wise, single is my default position. Hence women preferring men who have lost, however many times they have lost, to one who has never loved!

Women it's true do tend to get the s@@ts with me, though nothing to do with political views."61 going on 18" my last brief fling described me and not as a compliment.

But I'm mostly easy going, and though I may joke about sexism, I like looking after myself, though I LOATHE Hoovering and ironing. I get on well with most of the ladies I see in the cafes and bars of Surry Hills.

Relationship wise, single is my default position. Hence women preferring men who have lost, however many times they have lost, to one who has never loved!

:laugh:You're funny MR2 (in a nice way of course!lol)

Quite a few jobs

You have three weeks to learn a little Italian and do a barista course!

I think the pizzeria is a newly opened and already very popular place.

Mr Fox I've been to a couple of times.

Cafe Le Monde? I'm not sure if I know that tho I probably passed it.

Remember to get written reference from that Cafe you worked at and maybe the hotel in Channel Islands.

Quite a few jobs

The next suburbs over Newtown and Glebe have loads of cafes and bars. Always advertising in their windows when I walk past. Plus you could stay in Glebe and work in Newtown, as both within walking distances of one another.

Anyway why are you looking for a job? I thought you were only staying in Sydney for two weeks!!

Haha I can barely speak English half the time never mind Italian. I think I'll do the barista training though. Apparently a guy came out the other day to show them how to do the art part of the drinks but I missed it!

No ive only got 2 weeks booked at the moment but if I can find a job then I'll be staying till I've got a decent amount of money saved up hopefully. I've heard of glebe before because I was looking at a hostel there

I've heard of glebe before because I was looking at a hostel there

Glebe is inner city living at its best.

It has a really nice little "village" feel to it.

Things like arty bookshops, cafes and backpacker pubs. Badde Manors cafe near Glebe Markets is probably the best known cheap place to eat, and Boathouse on Blackwattle Bay in Glebe is the most expensive well-known. Then you have the infamous (backpacker) pubs like Toxteth, Nags Head, Roxbury, Friend in Hand and Excelsior.

A very good mix of students, backpackers, yuppies and bohemian type locals.

Near Chinatown and Newtown for nights out too.

Plus within easy walking distance to the CBD but if feeling lazy then regular buses

Overall a great place to stay or party!

Glebe is inner city living at its best.

It has a really nice little "village" feel to it.

Things like arty bookshops, cafes and backpacker pubs. Badde Manors cafe near Glebe Markets is probably the best known cheap place to eat, and Boathouse on Blackwattle Bay in Glebe is the most expensive well-known. Then you have the infamous (backpacker) pubs like Toxteth, Nags Head, Roxbury, Friend in Hand and Excelsior.

A very good mix of students, backpackers, yuppies and bohemian type locals.

Near Chinatown and Newtown for nights out too.

Plus within easy walking distance to the CBD but if feeling lazy then regular buses

Overall a great place to stay or party!

All true but I still don't like going to Glebe, or Newtown, which is a purely subjective feeling. Objectively, it's as good if not better than here in Surry Hills. I did used to like going to The Nags Head. And come to think of it the Union Hotel in Newtown down the St Peters end.

Either area sounds nice. If I can find a job then I'm going to get a flat share because I don't think I want to stay in a hostel long term but I suppose it depends on the hostel. I need a decent sleep when working or I get very grumpy haha

They are leftie weirdos in Glebe and Newtown. I can tell by the way you look and dress, that you would be better suited to Surry Hills, straighter. Apart from the many gays. Though they are sound too. Middleton (sic) class. Yes forget Glebe!

Archived