Me again

kaiapoilady

Just trawling through the mammoth task of searching properties on the web...

We have decided on a move to Melbourne, locations are

Berwick

Doreen

Mernda

Can anyone else suggest any where else either out on the Packenham train line or out towards Eltham...Must be close to a train station, or good bus service to the train station.

My hubby has company car, so it doesn't matter which side of the city we are on, I don't work as yet, wanting to get settled in a house first before I look for work.

Cheers for now

Hello amibovered

I love Eltham, my good friend lives there, but sadly the house prices are out of our budget, same goes for Research, so that is why we were looking at Doreen, I have heard that there is going to be a train station in Mernda within the next couple of years.

My son lives in Berwick, and we do like it there and there is a train station there too, which is good, but again it is a little pricey for a nice house.

Do you know anything about Doreen???

Hello, Doreen is pretty much an extension of Mernda, it's a very new suburb it was just open land a few years ago, if I'm honest these big sprawling suburbs are not my thing, but it seems OK if that floats your boat, the new Victorian Government do have plans to extend the railway to Mernda but if and when that will happen who knows, Plenty road gets really congested in the morning once you get past South Morang and so does Yan Yean road although there is a plan to widen it, Doreen has a nice little shopping centre with more shops opening all the time and Mernda has a Chemist Warehouse for cheap meds, the people I have spoken to about living in Menda/Doreen seemed happy enough living there, we used to live 10 mins up the road in Whittlesea. hope this helps.

Make sure you pick a suburb that already has a station. Things can change in the wink of an eye, a station can be promised this week and then put on the back burner. When we moved here they said their would be a primary school up the road, my children were 6 and 7 at the time, the school appeared long after they had left university and gone to work. What they say and what they do are two very different propositions.

I would look for a suburb with all the infrastructure in place even if it means not having a home that is quite so desirable.

Hello Petal's

Thank you for your information. I have been thinking about looking at a suburb that already has a train station too, I am a little weary about what the real estate agents say. I did quite like Doreen, but the lack of amenities out there does slightly concern me, I am not working at present so doesn't matter at this stage, however if I were to get a job in the city then that would be a real hassle from out there. I really like Eltham but the prices there are scary as hell. So perhaps out towards Berwick may be a good idea.

Thanks

Hello amibovered

Funny you should say that about Mernda/ Doreen my hubby said the same thing when he visited the area this week, too be honest they don't really float my boat either but it is affordability that is driving us , sadly the lack of facilities out there do concern me slightly. Our son lives in Berwick which is a nice area, with a nice village feel, and a train station too. I guess we can't have everything in life, and have to settle for what we can afford without being married to your mortgage, if you get what I mean.

Many thanks for your advice

Doreen is just houses. Nothing else - awkward for public transport and the small retail area is not that close to most of the houses. We know people there and the kids/young adults are bored out of their heads. And if the best that can be said for Mernda is that it has a discount chemist, that tells you all you really need to know.

Its not good to look at the cheaper areas out on the fringe unless you have a good friend and family network or have lived here for quite a while. Many find the newer areas challenging as most couples both work and there are not a lot of people around during the day. Bus services can be hit and miss. Internet can be hit and miss. Also if young children are involved there is pressure on services for them, i e getting into Kindergarten, Primary Schools under pressure and high schools. Teenagers have to be ferried around by Mum and Dad due to lack of transport.

The older areas which are affordable get a bad wrap as most areas similar in the world do. This is because they do have the facilities and affordability and therefore they are very attractive to all sections of the community. Frankston is one such suburb and South Frankstonis expensive, north Frankston is undesirable as its has a lot of public housing etc and for some reason in Aus this is stigamatised.

However living in Frankston and renting is reasonable, the houses have good sized blocks and the facilities are all well established, schools, university, hospital, shopping, train and transport, internet. All the things that we think we can do without are there. Other areas which are affordable and similar are Langwarrin, although no station, so transport can be iffy. Somerville, Tyabb, Hastings. All on train line to Frankston, although would only be suitable if working in Dandenong area up to say Moorabbin. Some people commute from these places but its over an hour. Bittern is a lovey suburb on the Peninsula and affordable.

Going over the other side look at Narre Warren near the station. Berwick more expensive but station.

Cranbourne, follow the train line to Cranbourne, reasonable property on that line.

Sunshine as has been mentioned gets a bad wrap but that does not mean that every part of the suburb is undesirable.

There are problem people in all suburbs from low to high income and its the luck of the draw.

Infrastructure needs to be a priority for new migrants and residents as houses do not talk to us even if they are lovely to look at.

Hello Petals,

thanks for the information much appreciated, my really good friends live around the Eltham area, and our son lives in Berwick, so we are looking at both area's too be honest, however Eltham is very expensive though. We don't have small children, both of our kids are in their twenties now and leading their own lives. I have never even thought about the peninsular as I thought it would be very expensive. I am in Melbourne for a visit in a couple of weeks so I will go and have a look there.

• 1 month later...
Hello Petal's

Thank you for your information. I have been thinking about looking at a suburb that already has a train station too, I am a little weary about what the real estate agents say. I did quite like Doreen, but the lack of amenities out there does slightly concern me, I am not working at present so doesn't matter at this stage, however if I were to get a job in the city then that would be a real hassle from out there. I really like Eltham but the prices there are scary as hell. So perhaps out towards Berwick may be a good idea.

Thanks

We are looking at Berwick also, it's a good location for Motorway, Train, a few minutes from the good shopping centre (can't think of its name), we've looked at schools/college for the kids, houses to rent are a good price for the size...............we have been impressed, we've also looked on the website, it shows you lots of photos of the town, good choice IMO.

Cheers MT

Archived