Christmas in Melbourne

Sheeny89

Hi all

Husband and I are moving to Melbourne next week (eek!) and it's going to be our first christmas without family

Does anyone have any suggestions on what we can do as a twosome? I guess the city centre would be pretty quiet, so would the beach be a good option?

Cheers! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Hmm ok so maybe the beach might not be the best idea! Quite tempted by the winery :)

Christmas here is not as big a deal as it is in the UK. It's more like an extended bank holiday and you'll find loads of things carry on as normal. Our bin men even collected on Xmas Day - we were in shock!

You'll have loads of options.

and it's going to be our first christmas without family. Does anyone have any suggestions on what we can do as a twosome?

As a twosome away from family there are several options we do in Sydney at Xmas - imagine you could reproduce for Melbourne:

BBQ at home

Picnic somewhere pretty - normally at beach or mountains or nature reserve

Lunch at a winery restaurant

Taronga Zoo - took picnic and wine in esky and made a day of it

Luncheon harbour cruise

Few days away staying in boutique country hotel

In fact, after some awful Xmas Days spent with family (stress, fights, drunken arguments, boring long winded day, etc...) we actually now make a rule of spending Xmas Day by ourselves - most pleasurable and you save a fortune on presents!

http://www.onlymelbourne.com.au/open-christmas-day

https://www.bestrestaurants.com.au/top10/vic/best-of/top-10-christmas-day-restaurants

Or do your own Google search under: "Melbourne christmas day 2015 what to do".

I love Christmas in Australia by the pool or on the beach with a barbie. No massive feasts to prepare and I cant think of anything worse than being cooped up indoors in the cold watching boring Christmas TV specials

I agree 100%

I remember family in UK sweating and swearing over having to prepare massive feasts. All that stodgy rich food made me sick every year.

Now peel a few prawns and have a cold glass of champagne in the sun - so much more relaxing.

Archived