Shipping wine

JonSmile

Hi all

we are about to have our house packed and shipped to Aus.

we have a few bottles of wine and champagne that we have not been able to drink and are quite old. As such I do not want to just bin them or give them away (one was given to me the year I was born for example).

So so any idea what I will be charged if I put them in my container?

As they are all old bottles of booze I have no receipts and can only guess at the cost but think some of them are quite expensive.

we have a few bottles of wine and champagne that we have not been able to drink and are quite old. As such I do not want to just bin them or give them away (one was given to me the year I was born for example).

As they are all old bottles of booze I have no receipts and can only guess at the cost but think some of them are quite expensive.

If they are old and valuable, I'd be worried about shipping them at all. When it's shipped professionally, wine is kept at a consistent temperature to stop it spoiling - your container will be going through the tropics and will get stinking hot - you may find the lot is undrinkable by the time it gets there.

Have you thought about putting it in a wine auction? Google "sell wine online UK" and you'll find a few sites that do it.

• 1 year later...

Apologies for resurrecting this old thread, but has anyone successfully transported "nice" wine to Aus from the UK? We are in a similar position to the original poster in that we have a few bottles (6 in our case) of a decent (we hope!) wine from the year of birth of our son, so we don't want to glug it yet, but don't want to sell it either. I don't want it going by the tropics at a leisurely pace in a giant metal box, so presumably we will have to find some air-freight option. Has anyone got any experience doing this?

I vaguely recall looking into this 2 years ago. I think you can take 4ltrs of wine as personal consumption.

Meaning you can take 5 bottles. but not 6.unless there are two of you flying. hence 10 bottles.

I'd imagine your customs (HMRC?) would let you off for the sixth, but they did not put that in writing.

Applies to wine, not spirits.

In having said this - I found I could buy a nice Aussie red almost the same price in London anyway...as I could in Australia, despite the crazy VAT amount. Plus you have lots of good French reds that make a lot of Aussie plonk taste second rate.

On 9/14/2015 at 6:47 PM, JonSmile said:

Hi all

we are about to have our house packed and shipped to Aus.

One issue you might want to considrr is that these containers can get very hot parked on the deck of a ship going across some of the hottest parts of the world and wine doesn't do well in constant high temperatures..