Melbourne vs Queensland

kaiapoilady

Hey Everyone

Just after some advice, been living in NSW for a year now, lovely place but very not affordable, so we are looking to move on. My hubby can live in either place's due to the nature of his job.

I have been to Melbourne on several occasions due to my son living there, however house prices seem quite high there too, unless you want to be more than hour from the CBD. I have been to Queensland on holiday and do really like it, but it was a holiday, I guess different to living there maybe.

Prior to this lived in New Zealand for 11 years and loved it, we are kiwi citizens now, but hubby's job is Sydney based atm.

Thanks, any advice would be helpful

Do you mean Brisbane rather than QLD as a whole?

It will be more affordable in Brisbane with still plenty to do, and probably a good choice if you are paid the same in either Melbourne or Brisbane.

We looked at both and made a very easy choice of Melbourne. There is so much to do in Melbourne, and its a great lifestyle. I'm not sure the decision would have been quite as easy if we had a job in both places.

One thing that helped the decision was that we could easily live by the beach in Melbourne and still have an easy commute to the CBD. The beaches in Brisbane suburbs are more like mud flats and you have to drive to the Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast for a nice swimmable beach.

If weather is your driver, personally I think the weather is much better in Melbourne for about 8 months of the year. The other 4 months are colder, meaning you can drive 2 hours and go skiing! In Brisbane, it can be very humid and sweaty a lot of the year which I don't like, the heat in Melbourne is very dry with no humidity.

We were also NZ citizens when we arrived but we are now Australian citizens as we didn't like being temporary here, with our visas cancelled every time we left the country!

Hope that contributes to your decision.

BB

Hello Buzzy Bee

Thank you for your reply. We are more swayed towards Melbourne as our son lives there, and I have good friends there too. I don't like the heat too much either, so I would be worried about that living in Brisbane too be honest.

Been a true Yorkshire lass, the weather doesn't worry me to much, i like the seasons, which is why we loved NZ (before the earthquakes mind).

We have been looking at suburbs like Berwick and Doreen, not sure if yoy know anything about these area's or not.

I do love Melbourne it's a great city :)

But Brisbane is still more affordable which was the main concern, also could afford a better area than the likes of Berwick.

Swimmable beaches in Melbourne? Far too cold most of the year!

Swimmable beaches in Melbourne? Far too cold most of the year!

We swim in the sea here from November - end of April.

When we went to Queensland for a holiday we couldn't swim in the sea at all because there were so many dangerous Jellyfish! Thankfully we don't get them in Melbourne.

BB

We swim in the sea here from November - end of April.

When we went to Queensland for a holiday we couldn't swim in the sea at all because there were so many dangerous Jellyfish! Thankfully we don't get them in Melbourne.

BB

Well that can't have been SE QLD? Come on, Melbourne is a great city but it isn't the place to be if swimming at beaches is the number 1 priority. I go to Melbourne reasonably regularly and haven't swam at the beaches for ages because it is much better catered for within a short drive from Brisbane.

Melbourne is great for restaurants, bars and events. But hitting the beaches for a swim give me Perth, Sydney, Gold Coast or Sunny coast any day.

Melbourne is a great city but it isn't the place to be if swimming at beaches is the number 1 priority.... better catered for within a short drive from Brisbane.

Sure, but swimming at beaches is available here in Melbourne within walking distance of my house. That wouldn't be the case if I lived in Brisbane.

hitting the beaches for a swim give me Perth...........

Our relatives that live in Mandurah will now not allow their children to swim in the sea any more due to the number of shark attacks. I'm going to visit them soon, will see for myself.

BB

Sure, but swimming at beaches is available here in Melbourne within walking distance of my house. That wouldn't be the case if I lived in Brisbane.

Our relatives that live in Mandurah will now not allow their children to swim in the sea any more due to the number of shark attacks. I'm going to visit them soon, will see for myself.

BB

The OP didn't even mention swimming at beaches however if that was my number 1 priority I would still rather live in Brisbane as it is available year round on the doorstep. I could walk to a beach if i lived at Bribie Island, that would probably be about as close to the city as an affordable Melbourne beach.

So now Melbourne is better for swimming than WA too? Crikey. I think you may have slightly rose tinted specs on here. I wouldn't even argue with you if you had said that Melbourne is a better city because of the amount of events they host etc. But swimming? really? :laugh:

Where did you live in NZ?

If you loved NZ, then thinking you will love Far North Queensland.

Really? What drives you to conclude Christchurch (where I think the OP came from) is anything like FNQ? I would never have compared these two locations. Not disagreeing with you, just something I would never have considered.

I would have said Christchurch would be more like Adelaide.

Just after some advice, been living in NSW for a year now, lovely place but very not affordable, so we are looking to move on. My hubby can live in either place's due to the nature of his job.

I have been to Melbourne on several occasions due to my son living there, however house prices seem quite high there too, unless you want to be more than hour from the CBD. I have been to Queensland on holiday and do really like it, but it was a holiday, I guess different to living there maybe.

I'd say don't underestimate the value of being where your son is! Also, I don't like Sydney humidity either and I find it's hugely worse in Brisbane/Southport, unless you're able to live up in the hinterland.

Melbourne is the third most expensive city for housing (Sydney is first, Canberra second), so that could be an obstacle - but at least Melbourne has a good tram system.

Really? What drives you to conclude Christchurch (where I think the OP came from) is anything like FNQ? I would never have compared these two locations. Not disagreeing with you, just something I would never have considered. I would have said Christchurch would be more like Adelaide.

Well my logic is:

All of the main cities in NZ (Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch) are small as cities go. More like big country towns. Totally different to living in a big city like Melbourne.

And many of the towns (Invercargill, Gisborne and Nelson) have that certain "feel" to them, not exactly old fashioned, more harking back to a certain era and set of standards.

Then you have got your popular tourist areas (Keri Keri, Queenstown and Rotoura) where people flock to.

Having lived in both the North and South Islands of NZ, and several places in Far North Queensland – I find the areas, towns and attitudes very similar.

So if you like NZ then you will probably like FNQ because of the similarities.

My personal opinion only from my own experiences.

Hello Buzzy Bee

Thank you for your reply. We are more swayed towards Melbourne as our son lives there, and I have good friends there too. I don't like the heat too much either, so I would be worried about that living in Brisbane too be honest.

Been a true Yorkshire lass, the weather doesn't worry me to much, i like the seasons, which is why we loved NZ (before the earthquakes mind).

We have been looking at suburbs like Berwick and Doreen, not sure if yoy know anything about these area's or not.

I do love Melbourne it's a great city :)

Hi, we have a few things in common as I grew up in Christchurch and my OH is also a Yorkshire native :) We have lived in Melbourne for a number of years, returning for a short stint in Christchurch just in time for the earthquakes. In some ways returning to Melbourne was easy this time around as we had lived here before, although we're living in a very different part of Melbourne. I'm not sure either OH or I could live in Brisbane long-term as we like the seasons too much. Love it to visit, just not to live.

Melbourne is a great city though with heaps to do. The house prices here are definitely higher though, but renting is still fairly reasonable. I don't know much about Berwick, other than what I've read but I think you can still get property out there for a reasonable price. It is a fair commute if working in the CBD though. Having said that, we're about to move to Frankston as house prices where we're living now (Mount Waverley) are just insane. I'm quite looking forward to living near the beach again.

Thank you everyone for your comments. We would never have left Christchurch, NZ if it wasn't for the earthquakes, (we have been to most of NZ both North & South Island) we loved it there, but my husband was made redundant from his job in Christchurch, and he was head hunted for a job here in Sydney, he worked for this company in the UK too.

We have decided to go to Melbourne, as I have a lot of good friends there, and also my son lives there, my husband can relocate with the company he works for, so a no win situation in our eyes.

We have found Berwick to be rather affordable, and only 40 minutes on the train to the city, that's nothing after living in Sydney and being from the UK. And my husband has to travel all over the country anyway, so it doesn't really matter where about's we are in Melbourne.

Hello KiwiKaye

I do miss NZ a lot, however could not return to Christchurch after going through those horrific earthquakes, our daughter lives in a small rural town on the North Island, which is lovely but no good for us we have to be a big city for work etc, and I personally don't like Auckland ( and it's very expensive too, so is Wellington).

A lot of my kiwi friends have settled in Melbourne, as they say it reminds them of home. I have't been to Frankston nor have I heard of it lol. Good luck with your move :)

Hello jumpingjilly bean,

We lived in Christchurch, NZ, however we are both from England. We have been to Yeppoon on holiday, it was lovely but I couldn't live there, Rockhampton was nice too but again not enough going off for me, and the heat would drive me mad in the summer. We visited Yeppoon in October and it was 35+ degrees then, and it's not even summer time then. And the humidity was insane, it's bad enough here in NSW in the summer too. So no we wouldn't consider a move there, and I do travel to NZ to visit my daughter and you can't get cheap flights from up there either, where as either Sydney or Melbourne, it's a direct flight to Auckland.

Thanks anyway

We have decided to go to Melbourne, as I have a lot of good friends there, and also my son lives there,

You won't regret this decision. We have found that Melbourne offers the best combination of South Island lifestyle and Western economy.

And if you know people it makes it a lot easier.

BB

Just a thought also, does anyone on here who lives in Melbourne, know of any short term accommodation, preferably furnished and will allow me to bring my dog. All of our furniture is in storage in Sydney, as we are living in a furnished unit here. This will hopefully just be for 2- 3 months until we buy a house.

Thanks

Just a thought also, does anyone on here who lives in Melbourne, know of any short term accommodation, preferably furnished and will allow me to bring my dog. All of our furniture is in storage in Sydney, as we are living in a furnished unit here. This will hopefully just be for 2- 3 months until we buy a house.

Thanks

Hi, yes, I will send you a private message.

BB

We have been to Yeppoon on holiday, it was lovely but I couldn't live there, Rockhampton was nice too but again not enough going off for me, and the heat would drive me mad in the summer. We visited Yeppoon in October and it was 35+ degrees then, and it's not even summer time then. And the humidity was insane, it's bad enough here in NSW in the summer too. So no we wouldn't consider a move there

Actually I was thinking more Hervey Bay way.....which isn't FNQ when I come to think of it.

Archived