Changing address on UK driving licence

RoseBrown1972

We are finally returned to UK in April 2016 and I'm compiling my to do list

We have UK drivers licences with 2 years left on them.

We didn't advise the DVLA of our change in address as I was told I didn't need to.

I want to change the address to the house we will be living in before we get back. So that it will waiting for us when we get back. I'm thinking for proof of address/ID purposes.

I can change it online, the information on the DVLA website says that you have to give your address for the last 3 years and have to live in the UK to do it

I know I won't live in the UK at that time but will do a few weeks later.

So for my address in the last 3 years do I put my Australian address or the last UK address my licence was registered at?

Anyone done this whilst still in Australia or even when first back?

Thanks

I just gave my dads address and he posted the new card to me

I want to change the address to the house we will be living in when we move back, so don't need it posted to me here. The address is our house now and will be empty at the time I get it sent so it can be there waiting.

The question isn't about the address I'm changing it to but where do I say I've been living for the last 3 years. I don't know if it matters if I put Australia or if I have to say the address last registered to my licence. Because the online information assumes you have been living in UK in that time

We are finally returned to UK in April 2016 and I'm compiling my to do list

We have UK drivers licences with 2 years left on them.

We didn't advise the DVLA of our change in address as I was told I didn't need to.

I want to change the address to the house we will be living in before we get back. So that it will waiting for us when we get back. I'm thinking for proof of address/ID purposes.

I can change it online, the information on the DVLA website says that you have to give your address for the last 3 years and have to live in the UK to do it

I know I won't live in the UK at that time but will do a few weeks later.

So for my address in the last 3 years do I put my Australian address or the last UK address my licence was registered at?

Anyone done this whilst still in Australia or even when first back?

Thanks

Since it is an offence not to advise DVLA of a change of address and you can be fined up to £1000 I would tread carefully. We advised DVLA of our move to Australia and were required to return our licences. There was no issue at all exchanging our Australian licence for a UK one when we returned.

I would wait until you return, plead ignorance and I think it is very unlikely you would have any bother but doing it online from Australia could cause you grief you don't need at this time.

Since it is an offence not to advise DVLA of a change of address and you can be fined up to £1000 I would tread carefully. We advised DVLA of our move to Australia and were required to return our licences. There was no issue at all exchanging our Australian licence for a UK one when we returned.

I would wait until you return, plead ignorance and I think it is very unlikely you would have any bother but doing it online from Australia could cause you grief you don't need at this time.

All it says on https://www.gov.uk/change-address-driving-licence is that you can't update the address on you UK licence if you are moving abroad.

I'd just wait until you get back to UK. The link above says new licence should only take a week to arrive.

Yes - that's right. I remember it explicitly said that you can't update the address if you live abroad (I went to change it when we left) so you shouldn't have to worry about fines.

That's what I was told, although I was starting to question if I'd remembered correctly!

I would like to have it sorted before I get back as we might not have access to internet quickly, we need to hit ground running when we get back so proof of address will essential.

I followed the link for doing it online and you can select living in Australia and have to give no further address details and have to give no further proof.

My main issue is that you're meant to be in UK to apply, so I'm think use a vpn to hide location and do it as we leave. We have 2 weeks in Portugal on way back so it should be there when we arrive after that, any issues I will play dumb

Thanks everyone

• 1 month later...