shipping our caravan and car (pictures)

Metoo

Hello everyone,

For anyone who is interested I thought i would post a few pics of our caravan and Landcover being prepared for shipping.

They are going in a 40 ft container and are prepared thoroughly as you will see on the photos. We delivered them to Hull on Tuesday and the shippers sent us these pictures today.

CBASSE509024 081.jpg

as you can see, this is a big twin axel caravan 26ft long and a Landrover Discovery. There was still some room to spare at the back. Caravan sits snuggly across the width of the container.

We will be excited to get them back at the other end.

CBASSE509024 007.jpg

If anyone is considering shipping their car or caravan, I would say that so far it has been easy. I hope its as easy at the other end lol.

We did have to remove the air conditioning unit and the satellite dish from the roof and it looks like the shippers have removed the door handle in order to get it to fit in.

Hope this is of help to anyone considering doing this.

Metoo

CBASSE509024 010.jpg

CBASSE509024 045.jpg

CBASSE509024 042.jpg

CBASSE509024 058.jpg

CBASSE509024 053.jpg

CBASSE509024 066.jpg

CBASSE509024 025.jpg

CBASSE509024 080.jpg

CBASSE509024 078.jpg

CBASSE509024 047.jpg

CBASSE509024 010.jpg

CBASSE509024 045.jpg

CBASSE509024 042.jpg

CBASSE509024 058.jpg

CBASSE509024 053.jpg

CBASSE509024 066.jpg

CBASSE509024 025.jpg

CBASSE509024 080.jpg

CBASSE509024 078.jpg

CBASSE509024 047.jpg

CBASSE509024 081.jpg

CBASSE509024 007.jpg

Hello everyone,

For anyone who is interested I thought i would post a few pics of our caravan and Landcover being prepared for shipping.

They are going in a 40 ft container and are prepared thoroughly as you will see on the photos. We delivered them to Hull on Tuesday and the shippers sent us these pictures today.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31193[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]31194[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]31195[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]31196[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]31197[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]31198[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]31199[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]31200[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]31201[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]31202[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]31203[/ATTACH]

as you can see, this is a big twin axel caravan 26ft long and a Landrover Discovery. There was still some room to spare at the back. Caravan sits snuggly across the width of the container.

We will be excited to get them back at the other end.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31204[/ATTACH]

If anyone is considering shipping their car or caravan, I would say that so far it has been easy. I hope its as easy at the other end lol.

We did have to remove the air conditioning unit and the satellite dish from the roof and it looks like the shippers have removed the door handle in order to get it to fit in.

Hope this is of help to anyone considering doing this.

Metoo

Hi, we are planning on doing similar in about 18 months, as soon as 143 is granted. Did you empty the van completely of personal items, as by reading some of the horror stories, seems the safest way to go .?

Also would you be able to let us know what the landing costs are when it all arrives and any modification costs, ie gas pipe, electric sockets etc . Also any special quarantine charges, ie fumigation maybe ?

That will help with our budgeting for the big trip.

regards

Geoff and Gill

The car is worth nothing in either country. It's not an investment, simply a labour of love. We could have brought a better car or not bothered at all but there was room in the container behind the caravan so it's shipped for free really. As its a hobby car we won't be selling it so no worries here.

Will be be buying two nice Aussie cars when we arrive for everyday use.

Hi, we are planning on doing similar in about 18 months, as soon as 143 is granted. Did you empty the van completely of personal items, as by reading some of the horror stories, seems the safest way to go .?

Also would you be able to let us know what the landing costs are when it all arrives and any modification costs, ie gas pipe, electric sockets etc . Also any special quarantine charges, ie fumigation maybe ?

That will help with our budgeting for the big trip.

regards

Geoff and Gill

Hi Geoff and Gill,

No, we did not empty our van. It contains loads of CARAVAN RELATED stuff. Including 2 large awnings, 2 TV's, wastemaster, aquaroll, cutlery, bedding, plates, cups, steps, awning carpet, hitch and wheel locks, plus much more. We could only do this because the van is containerised. If it went by RORO then it would have to be completely empty.

i will keep a running total of what we have spent and let you know at the end. I think it might vary between states but can only tell you about NSW.

We were told that the electric sockets don't need to be changed unless you intend to sell your van but I will confirm this later after we get ours through.

We found that it was cheaper to use a container than RORO, plus we managed to get the car in there too which was a bonus.

where in Oz are you headed?

Now I've got to know how it all goes, keep us updated, and don't forget the pics when you get it back.

Yes I will update and post some more pics when it all arrives.

Getting excited now, we just dropped the cat off too. Will see him in about 6 weeks time.

Hi Geoff and Gill,

No, we did not empty our van. It contains loads of CARAVAN RELATED stuff. Including 2 large awnings, 2 TV's, wastemaster, aquaroll, cutlery, bedding, plates, cups, steps, awning carpet, hitch and wheel locks, plus much more. We could only do this because the van is containerised. If it went by RORO then it would have to be completely empty.

i will keep a running total of what we have spent and let you know at the end. I think it might vary between states but can only tell you about NSW.

We were told that the electric sockets don't need to be changed unless you intend to sell your van but I will confirm this later after we get ours through.

We found that it was cheaper to use a container than RORO, plus we managed to get the car in there too which was a bonus.

where in Oz are you headed?

Oh, you are possibly our Hero!!

we have been stressing over which/what way to go, we had decided to go the container route, like you a 40 footer. Originally was wanting to take my Yeti but when costing to get converted for K-metres and new Tow Bar and what with the good exchange rate, have decided to sell here and get new when we land. We are going to Melbourne by the way, will be using the remainder of container to put our worldly goods as not intending to take bulky furniture, just mainly clothing, general toot and more importantly the contents of my garage ie tools.

Will watch with great interest your future experiences, best of luck and fingers crossed to you and your family.

Geoff and Gill

Oh, you are possibly our Hero!!

we have been stressing over which/what way to go, we had decided to go the container route, like you a 40 footer. Originally was wanting to take my Yeti but when costing to get converted for K-metres and new Tow Bar and what with the good exchange rate, have decided to sell here and get new when we land. We are going to Melbourne by the way, will be using the remainder of container to put our worldly goods as not intending to take bulky furniture, just mainly clothing, general toot and more importantly the contents of my garage ie tools.

Will watch with great interest your future experiences, best of luck and fingers crossed to you and your family.

Geoff and Gill

You don't need to change the speedo / odo over to kilometers as long as there is a km indicator on the speedo (odo can still read in miles).

As you say though that with the $AUD dropping and the pound increasing you are getting closer to being better off selling in UK and buying second hand in Aus, especially a Yeti, which will get ok money in UK but as Australia still doesn't realise how good Skodas are yet, you can pick these up quite cheaply here. I just got a 5 year old Superb 2.0L diesel with only 30K km on it for $20K aus, absolute bargain!