Sydney

Captain Roberto

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't touch Sydney with a barge pole these days. I find highly obsessive. Crazy place due to prices. It wasn't always the case though as had New Town in mind to settle in the early 00's. Outside of Perth and the South West of WA possibly Cairns or the Tablelands is the only other place would consider moving to in Australia.

We've Been here 2 months. Really busy.

It's a nice place. But really a city of hustlers. Hard work is necessary to be able to afford it. More graft that I thought it might be.

I will write a proper arrival thing once I get a minute

I didnt even know you were here! Where are you living?

I wouldn't touch Sydney with a barge pole these days. I find highly obsessive. Crazy place due to prices. It wasn't always the case though as had New Town in mind to settle in the early 00's. Outside of Perth and the South West of WA possibly Cairns or the Tablelands is the only other place would consider moving to in Australia.

I'm the least likely person you would think to thrive in a city like Sydney, and yet I do. And I would not live anywhere else!

I'm the least likely person you would think to thrive in a city like Sydney, and yet I do. And I would not live anywhere else!

Well not sure how many other places you know (sorry being bitchy, I know) I'd be living in Sydney if I had bought in 2003 as thought about in New Town or environs. Then decided Europe was better, but that's another story.

Anyway living rent free and self contained in a central Sydney location of course isn't half bad. Quite possibly be lonely for you elsewhere so you are making the best of your particular situation.

It's changed so much in the 5 years we have been here, the traffic is getting worse by the year,

just about to move to hunter valley and get out if the rat race. Hope things work out for you

Yes, the traffic is often worse at the weekends than during the working week, but I'm not sure if I want to leave the rat race just yet!

Well not sure how many other places you know (sorry being bitchy, I know) I'd be living in Sydney if I had bought in 2003 as thought about in New Town or environs. Then decided Europe was better, but that's another story.

Anyway living rent free and self contained in a central Sydney location of course isn't half bad. Quite possibly be lonely for you elsewhere so you are making the best of your particular situation.

Well, I am living rent-free now, but I did have to pay off a mortgage first, which I did in seven years, when I was being worn down by six day working weeks and studying for my BA at the same time. I never intended to live in Sydney when I was planning to come to Australia either, choosing Queensland first, then changing to WA, and I'd probably still be in WA if I had got a job there.

I moved from a village of no more than a couple of thousand people to a 'Gotham' of four million plus, with no experience of living in a city before, apart from three months in Norwich (the 'Gotham' of East Anglia?) I have heard people, patronisingly perhaps, say that after living in London, living in Sydney is like living in a village. I don't know about that, never having lived in London, but it's nothing like the villages I've lived in before.

Come to think of it, I am living in a sort of village, in the sense that I walk down the road and I often see people that I know, but it's a village without a green belt!

Yes, the traffic is often worse at the weekends than during the working week, but I'm not sure if I want to leave the rat race just yet!

Agree it's very bad at the weekends ,I have enjoyed my time in Sydney but just feel it's time to move on ,it's still one of the most amazing city's in the world . I have spent this week working up in Pokolbin ,so different and quiet ,working on a property on a vine yard. Drive time to work was 10 min at rush hour ! The stars at night are truly amazing

Agree it's very bad at the weekends ,I have enjoyed my time in Sydney but just feel it's time to move on ,it's still one of the most amazing city's in the world . I have spent this week working up in Pokolbin ,so different and quiet ,working on a property on a vine yard. Drive time to work was 10 min at rush hour ! The stars at night are truly amazing

Perhaps I will be able to swap my Surry Hills unit for holidays in the country?

I didnt even know you were here! Where are you living?
@MARYROSE02

We ended up moving to Killara on the north shore, primarily because of the good state schools and proximity to the train line, and safe vibe for our 3 kids. There's pros and cons to the area. I seem to be out and about in various parts of the city easily enough for work (Surry Hills, Ultimo, Darlinghurst and Inner West).

Some people say 'North Shore, North Snore', but outside of work we didn't really get chance to be dining out and in pubs much, so it kind of works for us. Loads of nice places nearby manly, Northern beaches, Narrabeen etc)

Moving from one side of the world to another is quite time consuming and unsettling, so have't posted on here much for ages. Still not in a permanent job, but have freelanced and worked 90% of the time. Seen loads of nice places we'd like to have lived in had we not had our kids. Surry Hills, Inner West etc, but those days are long, long gone....

@MARYROSE02

We ended up moving to Killara on the north shore, primarily because of the good state schools and proximity to the train line, and safe vibe for our 3 kids. There's pros and cons to the area. I seem to be out and about in various parts of the city easily enough for work (Surry Hills, Ultimo, Darlinghurst and Inner West).

Some people say 'North Shore, North Snore', but outside of work we didn't really get chance to be dining out and in pubs much, so it kind of works for us. Loads of nice places nearby manly, Northern beaches, Narrabeen etc)

Moving from one side of the world to another is quite time consuming and unsettling, so have't posted on here much for ages. Still not in a permanent job, but have freelanced and worked 90% of the time. Seen loads of nice places we'd like to have lived in had we not had our kids. Surry Hills, Inner West etc, but those days are long, long gone....

A nice leafy suburb Killara, worked around that area for a couple of years with some good federation style homes .

Narrabeen lagoon is great for the family as safe as you could get for the younger ones. A bit different to Wrexham !

Hi all,

We will be moving to Sydney within a month and would like to have some opinions from you guys here about where to live. My work place is in Ultimo and we really want to live nearby. We have not been to Sydney before and never intended to live there in the first place (preferred Brisbane) but life is full of surprises. We are doing lots of research to find a good suburb to live and we are a young family of three.

Is that hard to find a child care center for a 4 year old child in the inner suburb?

How much more expensive is this to live in inner suburbs compared to other suburb say 10-15 km from CBD?

Hope to hear from you guys.

Cheers

@MARYROSE02

"North Snore?" I'd not heard that before! "Tony Abbott Land" perhaps! The Green Gate pub is there?

How much more expensive is this to live in inner suburbs compared to other suburb say 10-15 km from CBD?

The difference in pricing is huge. If you look at the difference in pricing in London between living in Chelsea and living in, say, Egham, you get the idea.

Like London, commuting by car to Ultimo from the outer suburbs is impractical. To give you an idea, where I lived in Oatley, it took about 20 minutes to drive to Ultimo in the evening, but over 2 hours in rush hour. |However depending where you are in Ultimo, it may be walkable from Central Station (check "Directions" on Google maps to see how long it would take) - in which case you could live just about anywhere on a train line, as all train lines lead to Central.

Look at domain.com.au and realestate.com.au to get an idea of prices. If you want a house anywhere near Ultimo, you will need at least $1.5 million.

Well, I am living rent-free now, but I did have to pay off a mortgage first, which I did in seven years, when I was being worn down by six day working weeks and studying for my BA at the same time. I never intended to live in Sydney when I was planning to come to Australia either, choosing Queensland first, then changing to WA, and I'd probably still be in WA if I had got a job there.

I moved from a village of no more than a couple of thousand people to a 'Gotham' of four million plus, with no experience of living in a city before, apart from three months in Norwich (the 'Gotham' of East Anglia?) I have heard people, patronisingly perhaps, say that after living in London, living in Sydney is like living in a village. I don't know about that, never having lived in London, but it's nothing like the villages I've lived in before.

Come to think of it, I am living in a sort of village, in the sense that I walk down the road and I often see people that I know, but it's a village without a green belt!

Difficult to compare London with Sydney. London being along with New York, the ultimate global city. I know Norwich reasonably well as well, although never lived there made prolonged stays there over a ten plus year period. Odd sort of place I admit.

Main thing of course is being happy where you are. Matters not what others think of your choice.

Hi all,

We will be moving to Sydney within a month and would like to have some opinions from you guys here about where to live. My work place is in Ultimo and we really want to live nearby. We have not been to Sydney before and never intended to live there in the first place (preferred Brisbane) but life is full of surprises. We are doing lots of research to find a good suburb to live and we are a young family of three.

Is that hard to find a child care center for a 4 year old child in the inner suburb?

Cheers

It's always difficult for me to give advice on family-friendly suburbs because I'm single. and I love living in the inner city, and I hate commuting! I know there are plenty of people with young families in my suburb - Surry Hills - and others nearby like Ultimo, Pyrmont, and Glebe. I assume that families are willing to forgo a large garden which they would usually get further out in the 'burbs, for the convenience of not having to commute long distances if they live in the inner city. You have to make more use of the local parks I guess.

I'm further guessing that, with a young child, you could live in an appartment - 'unit' in the Sydney vernacular, or 'home unit' providing it's not too high up. The other types of homes you will most encounter are terrace homes, usually built in the late 19th century, and more modern 'town houses, and both usually have a small courtyard/garden. There are young famlies living in my block of units.

Where are you going to be working in Ultimo? I'm guessing, again, UTS - University of Technology, the ABC, or Sydney Technical College (TAFE), although there are other employers.

I do not know what your budget is, which is important to know, to see where you can afford to live. If you are working at any of the places that I mentioned, you would be able to walk to work easily from my suburb, Surry Hills, as well as Redfern, Ultimo itself of course, Pyrmont, Glebe, Chippendale, maybe Newtown. You could look slightly further out, Stanmore, Petersham, Leichhardt, Lilyfield, but you need to check the transport options, which are mostly reasonable. Some of those suburbs are under the flight path which is something else to consider. It's five kilometres from Surry Hills to Leichhardt so a bus along Paramatta Road would not take long to Ultimo. Petersham and Stanmore have railway stations, and there is the light rail network which covers Glebe, Lilyfield, and out to Dulwich Hill.

The further out you move, the longer you have to commute, which is not always a pleasant experience in Sydney. If you walk to work, then you have to commuting costs, measured in time as well as money. You could do some comparisons on http://www.domain.com.au, if you have not already done so.

I don't know much about early childhood centres, though I see them all around. I Googled and this one came up, Ultimo page but I see they are in Surry Hills, Glebe and other inner suburbs.

http://www.sdn.org.au/centres/inner-sydney/sdn-ultimo/

Difficult to compare London with Sydney. London being along with New York, the ultimate global city. I know Norwich reasonably well as well, although never lived there made prolonged stays there over a ten plus year period. Odd sort of place I admit.

Main thing of course is being happy where you are. Matters not what others think of your choice.

I don't know what the definition of a "global city" is but if it means people come from all over the world to live there Sydney fits the bill.

Hi all,

Cheers

Hi McJim, we're a family of 3 living in an Inner West suburb near Ultimo. This is a fantastic place for small families to live! There's so much happening for children round here, the local councils make a real effort to put things on for families, and most of what's happening is within walking distance or just a few train stops away. If you're happy to live in a 2 bedroom, 1 car space flat (flats are known as 'units'), then you should be able to buy somewhere for around $650,000 (or rent for approx $650 per week). Lots of small families live in the Inner West in a unit within a large residential complex, as we do. Whilst we only have a balcony rather than a private garden, it's great here for kids because our complex has lovely shared garden space, pools, and tennis courts (which does mean there's high strata costs). The kids who live here play out together during evenings and weekends within the complex grounds, which is really nice and probably something that kids who live in houses can't do in their street these days since it isn't safe. We're also right next to a huge park and kid's bike track - there's loads of parks around, and yesterday it only took 20 mins to drive to the beach. Whilst there's a shortage of child care places in Sydney, it's much easier to find a place for a 4 yr old than a 1 yr old. The academic year starts first week in February (rather than in September like in the UK), and you'll find it easier to get a place at this time than in the middle of the year. You'll need to put your name down on every wait list in your area, but I wouldn't worry about finding a place too much - you'll be alright, I don't know of anyone who just hasn't been able to find one in the end.

Archived