Australian driving license, Perth

JEM44

Hi, I am just compiling all the information I think we may need to know / do when we finally move, so over the coming days / weeks I will no doubt have a ton of questions to ask so I can file the answers away and be super organised when we go! (or that's the plan).

Question is:

I (and hubby) will need to get Australian driving licenses when we arrive in Perth, as soon as possible as we will need them to count towards our 100 points for rental accommodations etc.

So where do we need to go to do this, and do you just turn up, or do you need to book an appointment etc? Do you get issued one there and then or do they post them out to you? If so, how long does it take to get one?

Is it a straight swap, i.e. we have a full UK license so therefore you get a full Aus license, or do we need to sit a test etc?

Thanks

Laura

It's straight swap...but u keep UK licence too...you just turn up to your local department..Google will tell u where your nearest one is...u fill in a form. .wait in line, get picture taken, pay fee n either get card licence then n there or get it sent out to u with paper licence to do u till then....We didn't have aus licence straight away but still had enough id points to rent with UK licence, birth cert, bank card etc

Hi Laura. The first thing you need to learn is that there is no such thing as an Australian Driver Licence. Each state/territory of Australia has it's own Driver Licence so I have a Victoria Driver Licence while you'll need a Western Australia Driver Licence. Hear in Victoria you go to VicRoads to get your licence. They'll have a similar organisation in WA but I don't know it's name. I can only tell you how it works in Victoria but it's probably the same in WA. It is a straight swap (not that they actually keep your UK licence) you don't need to sit a test. To get a Full Licence you will need to have passed your test over 2 years ago or you'll only get a Provisional Licence (that's not a learners permit as in the UK but a licence for an inexperienced driver - Australians only get their full licence 2 years after they passed their test). They will need evidence that you are an Australian Resident. I'm aware that at one time WA were refusing to use VEVO and insisting that you had to have a Visa in your passport to get a driver licence. You should check if that's still the case or not.

Again if it's like Victoria you do need to make an appointment but if they're not busy they may be able to fit you in the same day. They don't issue it there and then, it does need to be posted to you. Ours took less than a week. They take the photograph at the appointment you don't provide it. In Victoria you have the choice of a 3 year or a 10 year licence. They don't issue a new licence when you change address they just give you a sticker to put on the back.

Thanks for that. I have found the offices in WA so have a note of them now.

But yes, skippy, I hadn't even considered how do we prove an address for licence if we have only just arrived? We are planning on taking on a holiday rental for 4 weeks when we arrive, do they use that? We didn't want to wait until we have a rental house as I need the license as part of my 100 points worth of ID to get the rental. Is this catch 22?????

there must be a solution...... Please help!

You don't need it for 100 points of id as I said before. .u can use other things..but yes u can use temp accomodation (u will have booking ref of some sort)n then just let them know new address...its not really anything to worry abt n I found it the easiest thing of everything to organise

Yes, the holiday rental address will be perfect. It will also count towards being a good previous tenant to get you rental history when you are looking for longer term accommodation.

Do yourself a favour. First thing, get a Medicare card. It gets posted to you. So you then have an official letter with an address, and an official Medicare card with names on it. ID problem solved!

The Medicare card only takes a few days to arrive following application at the Medicare office.

You don't need it for 100 points of id as I said before. .u can use other things..but yes u can use temp accomodation (u will have booking ref of some sort)n then just let them know new address...its not really anything to worry abt n I found it the easiest thing of everything to organise

Do be mindful that your licence is issued with the address you submit - when you move you will have to notify them of the change of address and they send you a sticker with the new address on it to place over the old one.

Archived