Ships Master / Ships Officer / Marine Pilot - OCCUPATION REMOVED July 2017

CaptainR

Hello everyone 

I just cleared chief mates COR  from Sydney. Thanks to all here in this group with special mention to Capt R and CaptC. Here orals are taken mostly  by Capt.Costalino who is extremely helpful and polite. Aspirants can choose Sydney with out hesitation. With a fair amount of preparation it's not tough to crack this exam. Will drop questions very soon. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jithooos said:

Hello everyone 

I just cleared chief mates COR  from Sydney. Thanks to all here in this group with special mention to Capt R and CaptC. Here orals are taken mostly  by Capt.Costalino who is extremely helpful and polite. Aspirants can choose Sydney with out hesitation. With a fair amount of preparation it's not tough to crack this exam. Will drop questions very soon. 

Congratulation dudeee

I m suppose to participate C/O exam in Brisbane on 30th May.

I would highly appreciate if you could advise me about exam atmosphere and if it is possible with your questions.

looking forward to hear you.

regard

On 18/05/2017 at 06:14, jithooos said:

Hello everyone 

Congratulations! 

You put in the hard work and this was recognised.

This is they key 'preparation', there is no easy way to pass the exam such as finding an easy examiner or learning the answers to a few past orals questions, you actually have to put the hard work in of learning the legislation, knowing your job and being able to confidently show that you are capable and deserving of passing the exam. 

I really don't think anyone will find a significant difference between AMSA Examiners or AMSA Offices. The past oral information and guidance at the start of the thread just provides some hints on the kinds of questions that may be asked, which helps you focus some of your study, but you need to have a broad knowledge. If you are good, competent and professional at your job already, then it will be all that bit easier. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jithooos said:

hello Everyone 

Kindly refer to this link. It says our profession still might be removed from MLTSSL on July 1st 2017. 

https://visanews.com.au/2017/05/concern-grows-for-possible-occupation-removals-from-mltssl-formerly-sol-list-on-1-july/

Still a concern, i would suggest that it would be prudent to have visa application submitted by the 1st July (just having an EOI invite is likely to be insufficient). Otherwise, for those that can't meet that deadline it might be worth holding off until it's known what is happening.

The unions are fighting strongly for the removal, the maritime industry is very subdued and few jobs have been advertised in the last 12 months. I have Australian colleagues and friends who are working overseas and with international shipping companies on significantly reduced salaries (once you are an Australian resident you are subject to tax on all of your earnings, including overseas),  whilst many other highly qualified Master Mariners, DPO's, Marine Pilots, Surveyors etc are unemployed and desperately searching for work. The oil & gas price is slowly creeping back up, so eventually some of the big offshore projects may resume, but it will take time. 

I have heard anecdotal reports of hundreds of very well qualified applicants for recent maritime positions in ports and seagoing positions. 

I'd recommend to everyone considering Australia to go in with your eyes wide open and have a plan B in case you need to work in another industry for a while until an opportunity arises. 

Good luck. 

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

I am assessing my options as of now. Just a doubt if anyone can clear it. Will AMSA conduct the COR ORAL even if the occupation is removed.? I mean this exam is a part of agreement between nations listed on AMSA site, right? I would be staying on 485 after my study and during that period I am assessing if the COR can be of any help, if industry revives . Any input, appreciated.

Thanks

hello everyone,

I have a query about bridging visa we get after applying for skilled visa, is that visa is multiple entry or single. Do we have to be in Australia while applying to get bridging visa.

What if we get bridging visa and we want to go out, will it still be valid when we come back in case it takes time for pr to process.

Thanks 

Hello

I am trying to work out a pathway for PR through the 189 visa.

I currently work as a deckhand in Victoria and have done so for the last year. I am also a qualified Coxswain and have got my STCW95.

Previous to my recent experience, I worked as a deckhand in NZ for 1 year.

Is anyone able to comment on the likelihood of me successfully passing the skills assessment with my current experience/qualifications? 

Would be happy to go through some more training if anyone has any recommendations.

Thanks

Hi Johnny

Please help us with your nationality, age your educational qualification. Aus. has an agreement with some countries, because of which people from those nations intend to migrate. Do you possess a certificate of competency of your nation or equivalent?

14 hours ago, Divy said:

Hi Johnny

Please help us with your nationality, age your educational qualification. Aus. has an agreement with some countries, because of which people from those nations intend to migrate. Do you possess a certificate of competency of your nation or equivalent?

Hi I'm 28 and from the United Kingdom and have a bachelors degree in computer science. My coxswains certificate of competency was achieved in Australia.

17 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

Hi I'm 28 and from the United Kingdom and have a bachelors degree in computer science. My coxswains certificate of competency was achieved in Australia.

Hi Johnny, 

To be honest, I would be highly surprised if the Coxswains certificate would be sufficient for the 'Deck Officer' category, you could e-mail AMSA to determine what the minimum acceptable qualification is (perhaps a restricted Mates ticket?).